Flying with a gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying with a gun?

Never flown with a gun and have a few questions. I have a hard case with two built in locks on it, but it also has spots for 4 other locks. It is my understanding that all places for a lock, have to have a lock. Is this right? I also hear a lot of debate if they have to be TSA approved locks or not, that they can not open the case without you being present? Also, can you put ammo in the same case as the gun, or does it have to be in a separate bag?

Dave are you flying international or domestic.? I would call the airline you are traveling with and get specifics from them. When I flew international we could not have ammo in with the case it went in a separate case inside our check luggage. We plugged any hole in the case with a non TSA lock. You have to open and clear the case when you check it in once checked and locked it should only be opened in your presence

Comment

Important to note that different airlines have different requirements above and beyond US requirements.

Like Austin said, where are you flying and who are you using? I flew to Kyrgyzstan via New York then via Turkey and the worst time/experience was traveling in NY.

Comment

I have done it many times. Things may change so I would check with tsa and/or the airline. I have always used two regular keyed locks on a gun case. You will have to open it at the check in desk and possibly for tsa to look. Get there early! I don’t like the tsa locks because they are flimsy and someone can open your case. I believe they are an option and may save you from having to go back and open case for tsa. The ammo has to be separate from the case. Put it in your duffel or other checked baggage. You will get less grief overall if ammo is in a factory box. I have heard stories of them getting funny with hand loads in a plain plastic case. It is actually east to fly with a gun within the US. Out of the country gets more exciting!

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
          The ammo has to be separate from the case. Put it in your duffel or other checked baggage. You will get less grief overall if ammo is in a factory box.
          Flying out of Alaska, a hunting partner lost all his ammo because he transferred it into one of those plastic cartridge holders. Its much more secure than a paper box, but they require it to be in the factory box.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
            Flying out of Alaska, a hunting partner lost all his ammo because he transferred it into one of those plastic cartridge holders. Its much more secure than a paper box, but they require it to be in the factory box.
            So I guess if you hand load, get a factory box to put it in while flying?

Comment

No, all the possible lock locations are not required to have a lock - at least with United. Easy to travel with a gun. As stated above, just arrive early. Sometimes the TSA guy isn’t close to the counter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                So I guess if you hand load, get a factory box to put it in while flying?
                That’s your best bet!

Comment

I started using the “better” TSA locks after TSA used a screw driver or something and broke open all the locks on my bow case. It basically left my case useless for the return flight and I had to duct tape it shut. Per a suggestion on here I also zip tie it closed so I know if it was opened.
                  You are required to keep ammo in a separate bag. I personally have never had an issue with it not being in the factory box.

Comment

Ok, so I'm flying from Texas to Iowa for a pheasant hunt. Flying AA there and Southwest on way home(don't ask). Not a problem to put ammo I have then in regular check bag. I have some TSA combo locks, but may switch them to key locks as it will make it quicker to open at the airport.

Comment

Please go to the TSA website and download their requirements and then go to the airline’s website and download their requirements. Study them and know them well before you get to the airport. Carry a copy of those regulations with you. It can save you grief later on.
                      Also, be prepared to run into a TSA agent that doesn’t know their own regulations.

Comment

I used to fly quite a bit with rifles and it was always very easy. I had a pelican hard case with two master locks on it and never had an issue. I had hand loads in the case pretty much every time and no issues. They would usually direct me
                        To TSA, they would open the case, and do some kind of swab that they stuck in a machine. Then they told me to lock it up and I was on my way. This was mostly flying between Dallas, Phoenix and Atlanta and was 3-4 years ago so things may have changed. Also like others have mentioned, you never know what you’re going to get with TSA.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                          Important to note that different airlines have different requirements above and beyond US requirements.

Like Austin said, where are you flying and who are you using? I flew to Kyrgyzstan via New York then via Turkey and the worst time/experience was traveling in NY.
                          Originally posted by docmay View Post
                          I have done it many times. Things may change so I would check with tsa and/or the airline. I have always used two regular keyed locks on a gun case. You will have to open it at the check in desk and possibly for tsa to look. Get there early! I don’t like the tsa locks because they are flimsy and someone can open your case. I believe they are an option and may save you from having to go back and open case for tsa. The ammo has to be separate from the case. Put it in your duffel or other checked baggage. You will get less grief overall if ammo is in a factory box. I have heard stories of them getting funny with hand loads in a plain plastic case. It is actually east to fly with a gun within the US. Out of the country gets more exciting!
                          Best advice here.

I'd spend money on a tile tracker for the case before tsa locks. I have a set of tsa locks still in the packaging 3 years and 2 airlines later

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                            Please go to the TSA website and download their requirements and then go to the airline’s website and download their requirements. Study them and know them well before you get to the airport. Carry a copy of those regulations with you. It can save you grief later on.
                            Also, be prepared to run into a TSA agent that doesn’t know their own regulations.
                            Best advice on here.

Comment

Flying today and read all the requirements. Even after it was still confusion of tsa vs not tsa locks. I have a plane with internal locks in hinges. Bought 4 more 1/4" non-tsa master locks. Checking in they said lock in each of the holes. I was covered.

My understanding is that you can use tsa locks but dont have to.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X