Reloading beginner looking for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading beginner looking for help

I’m setting up a new rifle and figure now is as good of a time as any to start reloading. I used to reload shotshells but have zero experience with rifle or pistol reloading. I’m sure it’s a Ford vs. GM question but is there a favorite kit out there that’s a good starting point for newbies? Any and all direction is welcomed. Thanks in advance, guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda hard to beat a rock chucker. You can start with the kit and add/change as you go. Get some good manuals, take your time and enjoy [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

RCBS makes some quality equipment. As others have said, pick up a couple reloading books to read. I like the Hornady handbook. You can get a hardcopy or get it on your phone. There is tons of good info on You Tube too.

Comment

Entry level stuff that will last you a lifetime and is good for the biggest majority of reloaders is RCBS, Hornady and Lee. I use a mixture of all 3 components. I have components that are over 50 years old and still good as new. Dies are universal fit and will screw into all these presses. Add stuff as you go. I also have some more expensive dies by Wilson, Forster and Redding for more precision loads

Higher end stuff made by Dillon and much more expensive but once set up it's nice for large volumes especially pistol ammo.
        Last edited by muzzlebrake; 08-24-2021, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Lyman makes reloading equipment too but I seldom see much of it around DFW area other than trimmers and scales.

Comment

Just as the others have said, just about any “kit” will be a good start. Get a good manual (I too like the Hornady manual) and READ it, lots of good info. What you can’t find in the book YouTube. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

The kits will make accurate Ammo. It’s really not Ford vs GM, it’s more along the lines do you add wheels and tires, bumpers, lights, and any other expensive accessory. I told my wife I started reloading to save money, and she now knows that was a lie!

Comment

Green is good. Whether it's RCBS, or the more expensive Redding products, you'll have tools that you can use forever.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
                  I told my wife I started reloading to save money, and she now knows that was a lie!
                  I'd agree under normal conditions, but I have shot several thousand 6.5mm 140gn ELDs over the last year at my cost of < $0.60 each.... I probably worked myself back toward break even at least.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                    Green is good. Whether it's RCBS, or the more expensive Redding products, you'll have tools that you can use forever.
                    My Rockchucker has to be around 40yrs old. I’ve had it for 20, and it was old when I got it. Still makes great ammo!

Comment

I would put brand very far down the list of beginner deciding factors ... I'm in the "Ford/GMC" camp when it comes to that.

More importantly, in my opinion, you need to decide on what type of reloading (hunting/precision/etc), how much you are going to do per session (50/1000), the size of your wallet (thick or thin), and where you will be doing it (devoted area/kitchen table). This may be different between your pistol ammo and your rifle ammo.

Single stage vs multi stage.
                      Direct powder dispense vs auto trickler vs hand weighting.
                      Hand priming vs press.
                      Mobile vs mounted vs quick detach / interchangeable.

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                        I would put brand very far down the list of beginner deciding factors ... I'm in the "Ford/GMC" camp when it comes to that.

More importantly, in my opinion, you need to decide on what type of reloading (hunting/precision/etc), how much you are going to do per session (50/1000), the size of your wallet (thick or thin), and where you will be doing it (devoted area/kitchen table). This may be different between your pistol ammo and your rifle ammo.

Single stage vs multi stage.
                        Direct powder dispense vs auto trickler vs hand weighting.
                        Hand priming vs press.
                        Mobile vs mounted vs quick detach / interchangeable.

All very important considerations. To expand on my situation: I’m not a “volume shooter”. I’m after accuracy from deer rifles and an AR platform 6.5 Grendel I’m working on. I won’t be cranking out .223 or lots of pistol loads. I’d expect to load 50 at a time and that will likely last me a while.

Thank you all for the responses so far! Really good food for thought.

Comment

I load .308 and 6.5 only. My standard range session is 50 rnds. I have 1 hour to devote to loading. I load for subMOA. I load in the garage.

This allows me to hand prep my brass, hand prime, hand weight and adjust every charge, single stage press and measure every seating depth, and change out my dies for each step. All of which can be done with more expensive options.

Comment

I load .308 and 6.5 only. My standard range session is 50 rnds. I have 1 hour to devote to loading. I load for subMOA. I load in the garage.

This allows me to hand prep my brass, hand prime, hand weight and adjust every charge, single stage press and measure every seating depth, and change out my dies for each step. All of which can be done with more expensive options.

Nice compact set up.

Comment

Would you be willing to give a quick rundown of your setup - what you consider needs etc.?

Comment

Working...
                              X