Keeping Deer on my Pasture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunt about a 600 acre Pasture in Mexico it's shaped like a triangle it's not very wide seems like during the offseason I have a ton of bucks mostly 3-4 yr olds I have not seen 1 single mature buck this is the 1st yr this pasture has been hunted in three yrs I should at least have one mature buck I already out feed the hunters to my east I feed a bunch of corn and have a oat field do you guys think if I add a couple protein feeders it may tip the scales in my favor?
    On a side note my east neighbors shoot everything sounds like WW3 I thought it would push the deer on my side of the fence but it hasn't really happened

Protein might help.

Comment

Besides food, they need water and cover. If either of those are better at the neighbor's place they will move over there. Might also be that the buck to doe ratio is more attractive at the neighbor's since you said they seem to move during hunting season. Might also just be the neighbors have taught them to be totally nocturnal during hunting season.

Comment

How is your water distribution? How much bedding cover/sanctuary cover do you have? Do you hunt your whole place every trip? What is your grazing pressure and livestock type?
        Protein can help hold deer really well if you have the water and sanctuary type cover.

Comment

I have water plenty of brush I see plenty of deer I only have one blind it's dead center of the ranch we keep the cows on the main pasture we lease no hunters to the north or to west and to the south is ours my only preasure is to the east it's perfect I am telling you I just don't I have hunted other places with hunters on all sides we just out fed them
          I am going to set up a different spot next year and move my stand from the middle of the ranch to the north

Comment

Do the deer run when they see your vehicle or stand around? Are you using a road feeder?
            A road feeder can change what the deer after or with your movement around the pasture.
            They will now associate your vehicle traffic with a food source, if you are not using one now.

Comment

Unfortunately, you only have 600 acres. One bad neighbor can ruin all of the hard work you put in to the place. Bucks can travel a mile or two easy in one day, so all the deer you are passing might be shot by your neighbors.

Comment

Yea we use the road feeder and we put a bunch of corn out

Comment

Right now my neighbors are the the only problem I can think of we actually have 2200 acres and my two buddies killed really good deer we may kill three deer a yr we let them grow
                  Last edited by Mexicobbd187; 01-14-2017, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                    Unfortunately, you only have 600 acres. One bad neighbor can ruin all of the hard work you put in to the place. Bucks can travel a mile or two easy in one day, so all the deer you are passing might be shot by your neighbors.

I have a 12 acre neighbor and they take a fair amount of bucks. 3 people hunt it and they take a fair amount of deer. Any deer that hangs out on that side of the ranch regularly seems to disappear about the time they start looking nice which is about 3.5 or 4.5. It's the deer that are always on that camera that occasionally make their way to other cams on the ranch that disappear. The ones that are on the other cams on the ranch and occasionally make their way to that other one always show back up.

I will say that gun shots don't always mean they are shooting deer because our neighbors probably think we kill a ton of deer because of all the shots but we only killed 2 this year but killed a Nalgai, a few Javis and 10 coyotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Black Ice; 01-15-2017, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Feed em protein.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexicobbd187 View Post
                        I only have one blind it's dead center of the ranch we keep the cows on the main pasture we lease no hunters to the north or to west and to the south is ours my only pressure is to the east
                        I am going to set up a different spot next year and move my stand from the middle of the ranch to the north
                        Here is your answer. you are too close to the war zone. Move N, W, or S.

Comment

Agree on moving locations. Set up closer to the edge of your property so not to tip the deer off on your entry/exit.

Leave a good portion of your property in Sanctuary that you only go there if you are tracking a deer. They need food, water, cover and very little human pressure and you should start seeing more mature deer. May also want to kill your coyotes in the off season instead of during deer season. 15 or so rifle shots on 600 acres seems like a lot especially if your neighbors to the east are shooting a bunch too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexicobbd187 View Post
                            I hunt about a 600 acre Pasture in Mexico it's shaped like a triangle it's not very wide seems like during the offseason I have a ton of bucks mostly 3-4 yr olds I have not seen 1 single mature buck this is the 1st yr this pasture has been hunted in three yrs I should at least have one mature buck I already out feed the hunters to my east I feed a bunch of corn and have a oat field do you guys think if I add a couple protein feeders it may tip the scales in my favor?
                            On a side note my east neighbors shoot everything sounds like WW3 I thought it would push the deer on my side of the fence but it hasn't really happened
                            Whatever the limited resource is, capitalize on that one thing

Comment

Any experience on keeping them around even on a year with lots of acorns In east Texas?

Comment

Working...
                              X