Creating a Will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a Will

Im sure there are a hundred posts on this, but when I try to search it excludes will every time.

One thing the wife and I have drug our feet on is creating a will. We just started looking into it today and our first quote from an attorney in town was a grand. Seemed high. Thoughts?

I created mine here, https://www.legalzoom.com/personal/estate-planning

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
      Im sure there are a hundred posts on this, but when I try to search it excludes will every time.

One thing the wife and I have drug our feet on is creating a will. We just started looking into it today and our first quote from an attorney in town was a grand. Seemed high. Thoughts?

We did one after my wifes mother passed without a will. This was several years ago and that is about what we paid. It cost a lot more than that to get my mother in laws affairs in order and my is an only child.

Comment

Seek out an attorney that is Board Certified in Estate Planning. Worth the investment of "your" investments.

Comment

A Holographic will is legal in Texas. You can write it yourself.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99-RjX5VVhs&t=8s"]How To Make a Valid Will In Less Than Four Minutes - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

4 things
            1. last will testament
            2. medical power of attorney
            3. durable power of attorney
            4. directive to physicians and family or surrogates

All 4 can be done by a lawyer for around $350 to $500...depending.

Trust me...all these needed because god forbid something happens and none of these are done...its a nightmare for those trying to figure out estate, monies, burial, on and on.

Don't believe the youtube or free stuff online...just pay for a lawyer who does this for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
              Seek out an attorney that is Board Certified in Estate Planning. Worth the investment of "your" investments.
              This is the best advice you'll ever get on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by frios View Post
                4 things
                1. last will testament

Trust me...all these needed because god forbid something happens and none of these are done...its a nightmare for those trying to figure out estate, monies, burial, on and on.

Don't believe the youtube or free stuff online...just pay for a lawyer who does this for a living.

THIS TOTALLY - if you are going to do it then do it the right way - way too important to DIY

Comment

Wife and I did a trust for our granddaughter due to some exceptional family circumstances that we wanted to be sure the inheritance didn't fall into the wrong hands in the event one parent passed first. Not cheap, but peace of mind is priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                    This!

Comment

Originally posted by frios View Post
                      4 things
                      1. last will testament

Yes and while my initial one cost around that...the last one I had refreshed (new lawyer as other retired) was around $700.
                      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                        A Holographic will is legal in Texas. You can write it yourself.

How To Make a Valid Will In Less Than Four Minutes - YouTube
                        This guy gets it. Screw lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                          Brilliant statement. While a holistic will is better than dying intestate (and you can also find POA and DPOA forms online), depending on the assets and complexity of the estate, provisions for children etc., it makes sense for a lot of people to have a lawyer actually perform legal work.

Comment

We went with a lawyer after my mother passed and got the will, poa, medical poa, etc. I then ran into another lawyer several years later that convinced me to get a Transfer On Death Deed (TODD) for our home & land. The TODD is online and easy to complete and will avoid the probate process.

Don't just do a will!

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                              Why do you continue to show your ignorance?

Comment

Working...
                              X