Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Blackland Prairies Hunting (Navarro, Ellis, Hill, Freestone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021 Blackland Prairies Hunting (Navarro, Ellis, Hill, Freestone)

It’s that time of year again! I’m heading out this week to do my last mowing of the year and get a few food plots ready to plant. I can’t remember a time when I’ve seen it this green going into September. It should make for an interesting season!
    Who else is hunting the blacklands this season? Trying anything new? Food plots? We’ve had some success over the last few years but it’s alway nice to hear from others in the area. Looking forward to a great season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for starting it off this yr, I’ve been slacking. The growth this yr is unbelievable. I have been in a constant battle shredding and spraying but feel I have lost. Spent a lot of time shredding the last week and have most of what I need for the yr done I hope. Didn’t do summer plots this yr, first time in the last 3 yrs. thinking of only doing one area in oats. Do t have the usual number of bucks hanging around but I really slacked in my off season feeding. But also my entire place was so overgrown they prob couldn’t access a lot of the normal areas, it was that bad.
    Hoping the acorns don’t flood the area. I have only noticed a couple trees with them but haven’t really been looking. Hoping to start seeing some familiar faces soon.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
      Thanks for starting it off this yr, I’ve been slacking. The growth this yr is unbelievable. I have been in a constant battle shredding and spraying but feel I have lost. Spent a lot of time shredding the last week and have most of what I need for the yr done I hope. Didn’t do summer plots this yr, first time in the last 3 yrs. thinking of only doing one area in oats. Do t have the usual number of bucks hanging around but I really slacked in my off season feeding. But also my entire place was so overgrown they prob couldn’t access a lot of the normal areas, it was that bad.
      Hoping the acorns don’t flood the area. I have only noticed a couple trees with them but haven’t really been looking. Hoping to start seeing some familiar faces soon.

Hope I didn’t jump ahead of you with the thread. I guess I’m excited for the season!
      I feel like our place is overgrown too. We mowed earlier in the summer, but in some places you can’t even tell. I just put all my cameras out a few weeks ago so I’ll be curious to see what’s on the cards this week.
      I think I’m going try oats in my plots this year hoping it’ll green up for later season if we get a little rain.
      I slacked off on my feeding since I felt like the hogs would camp out and never let a deer get close.
      Hope some new targets show up for you!

Comment

no sir, I'm no official anything. I'm hoping they all come back soon. Good luck to all

Comment

I planted my food plots this weekend trying to beat the rain in the forecast. I planted an oat, wheat, and rye mix. I checked the forecast Monday and all predicted rain had gone away, so I guess it'll sit there till we get rain.

Starting to have a few deer show up on camera, but nothing to get excited about yet.
          Anybody else putting plots in this season?

Comment

I am officially a doe man. My daughter has started hunting and she claims the good bucks. LOL....oh who am I kidding its more fun to see her shooting them than me shooting them myself. Im ready. Nothing new for us. We feed year round and have clover that grows in the orchard that will get knee high. So we dont plant food plots.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
              I am officially a doe man. My daughter has started hunting and she claims the good bucks. LOL....oh who am I kidding its more fun to see her shooting them than me shooting them myself. Im ready. Nothing new for us. We feed year round and have clover that grows in the orchard that will get knee high. So we dont plant food plots.

Yeah I feel like my boys are claiming the big bucks every year. But They can’t kill them if I dont wake them up to go hunting!!! Ha!
              I get more excited to watch them shoot than I do about shooting! Looking forward to the season!

Comment

Originally posted by lost cajun View Post
                Yeah I feel like my boys are claiming the big bucks every year. But They can’t kill them if I dont wake them up to go hunting!!! Ha!
                I get more excited to watch them shoot than I do about shooting! Looking forward to the season!

I hear ya buddy. Pretty much all the hunting opportunities go to her. I get more excited than she does. It down right tickles me to see her kill anything.

Comment

How is everyone’s deer movement so far? I still am not seeing any decent bucks. Most of my regulars have not shown up all summer and so far this early “fall”.

Comment

Mixed results for me, seems to change every few days. Last 48 hrs have seen lots of 10 pts and 8 pts but not much else of anything, then the does came out in force this morning. I hunted Saturday and Sunday but was really just scouting as not every deer is going into the feeders.

Comment

I am just now starting to see lots of does show up. There have been a few bucks but not at our feeders. I have some cameras on trails that are catching them passing. The hogs are ridiculous right now. It seems like every time there is a deer at the feeder the hogs show up within minutes and run them off. I am going down this weekend to hopefully blast a few to give the deer a chance. Just wish it wasn’t going to be so dadgum hot.

Comment

Have a pretty fair amount of mature bucks somehow at our place in anderson county this year, and they are all FAT

Comment

I actually saw a turkey hen with three polts near Navarro Mills today at the ranch. I have caught a random in passing by the camera in the spring time but never actually seen turkeys there.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                            I actually saw a turkey hen with three polts near Navarro Mills today at the ranch. I have caught a random in passing by the camera in the spring time but never actually seen turkeys there.

We had one hen on our property. She was banded. She was around for a season then didn’t see her again.

Comment

Well better late than never but got a couple of my usual plots planted today. Also got extra feed out and a couple more spots ready. Still a little worried about lack of buck movement. I haven’t seen any of the usuals still. Not normal. Still seeing plenty of does and fawns or at least for my neck of the woods.

Comment

Working...
                              X