Socks for cold weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Socks for cold weather

After my hunt on Saturday morning with cold feet the entire time I swore to myself that it would be the last time. What do you guys wear? I have tried several with not much luck but I will admit I was being cheap. I have naturally hot feet so my issue has been to find something that will not make my feet sweat when I am walking to my stand yet keep my feet, mainly my toes, warm when sitting for 2+ hours. 100% wool makes my feet sweat and multiple pairs of regular socks make them sweat also. I do not wear insulated boots and really do not have any interest in buying another pair of boots.

I probably am looking for a unicorn here but I figured I would ask what you guys are using. Worst case scenario I will just buy a bunch of the hand warmers and put them at the front of my boots.

For me/ thinner socks are best for staying warm otherwise I also sweat. I prefer the Darn Tough Ultra Lites

Comment

Have you tried MERINO wool ? Get you a pair of 100% merino wool socks. Much like you, I have always had sweaty feet., and it’s unbelievable how warm and dry keep my feet. The outside of my socks will be damp, but inside is bone dry.

Tell you what - send me your address and I’ll semd you a pair.
      Last edited by JLivi1224; 01-06-2020, 08:32 AM.

Comment

My feet have always been my weakness in cold weather. Muck wetlands in 1/2 size big and merino wool socks and I can finally hunt comfortably. My wife got me some DG HILL socks this year just cause she’s awesome and thought she would solve the cold feet issue. They are pricey. But hands down best I’ve ever used. They are awesome

I bought the attic shield boot covers this year on sale. But I haven’t had to use them yet

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I have never heard of the boot covers before so I will look into them. JLivi I sent you a PM.

Comment

Merino wool is the only way to go. Macks Prairie Wings is who I buy mine from. I generally wear a very thin sock underneath just to help wick the sweat.

Comment

I like Lorpen merino wool socks. I also wear Muck pursuit Pro. Having boots too tight is a huge part of cold feet.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb03 View Post
                Merino wool is the only way to go. Macks Prairie Wings is who I buy mine from. I generally wear a very thin sock underneath just to help wick the sweat.
                This helps as well although i don’t always wear them.

Comment

Darn Tough gets my vote. Best socks I have used for hiking and hunting. They actually are pretty good too at not smelling which is nice in the backcountry.

Comment

I always wear a thin sock liner and then most of my hunting socks are Smartwool. If you are sitting in a stand, short of a battery operated heated sock, I don't know of any specific sock that is going to keep your feet warm.
                    If your feet sweat, a sock liner is your friend. I have been snowshoeing quite a bit this winter, wearing three different pairs of boots and one of them non-insulated. My feet have not been cold on any of the trips and I wore the sock liner and Smartwool on each trip.

Comment

Any specific liner you guys use or will any do?

Comment

Your set up is probably the problem, not the socks. First, make sure your boots are 100% waterproof. Kenetrek makes awesome boot wax that seals up everything better than those sprays, which will keep the inside of your boot dry.

Second, do not wear your boots while driving or riding the ATV out to where you are going. Wear gym shoes or some pair of shoes that are thin so your feet don't sweat. With your feet running hot, they are already wet/sweaty before you've even gotten out of the truck.

Third, when you are hiking to the stand, run one pair of socks (Merino wool is my choice) and bring another pair with you. The first pair you wear on your way out to the stand. Once you get to the stand, take boots off, remove the wet/sweaty socks, put on the second pair. Let the first pair dry.

I run un-insulated boots all the way to ~10 degrees, and this is my system. My feet never get cold or hot.

Comment

I used to pile on as many socks as I could fit in my boots. I think this is a huge mistake. As stated above, I have gone to a pair of thin socks and I haven't had cold issues in quite a while. To be fair, I wear insulated boots, but just a pair of thin camo socks I got for Christmas several years ago. I think if you could keep from getting sweated up while walking in, you would be much more likely to stay warm.

Comment

Get some of the Hot Hands patches and put either inside your boots or lay the larger ones on top--

Comment

My favorite are Crazy Goat

Comment

Working...
                              X