WY Bull Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WY Bull Down

I'm a little late posting, but better late than never.

I had the hunt of a lifetime for my first elk hunt in October of '19. A good friend of mine turned 50 and asked if I'd go on a bucket list hunt with him and I got suckered into it.....

We trained for 4-5 months but it was not enough for the rugged, tough country we hunted in. The guides had horses but a lot of the terrain could only be traversed on foot when it came to the actual hunt itself. Add a bunch of snow on the ground into the mix, coupled with single digit temps (thank God for the wall tent and wood burning stove), and it was tough!

Unbelievably, I shot this bull on opening morning (October 1st) at 9:15AM. We left camp at daylight, on foot, and as soon as we reached the first ridge we bugled and this boy started talking to us. We were on him immediately. We followed him and his herd for a few hours and finally decided to work our way around them to maneuver ourselves right into them. The plan worked. We had the entire herd come over the ridge and surround us. I had cows/spikes/calves within 5 yards. It was exhilarating. The herd cow knew something was up, and our bull hadn't presented himself yet, so we had to stay frozen for almost 25 minutes (talk about severe cramping). She watched us, and watched us, and watched us.

Finally, the herd started to keep moving and my bull presented a forward facing shot at 35 yards! It was the only shot I had and the herd was ready to bust out when I raised my rifle for a shot. I nailed him in the chest and he fell backwards down the ridge, stopping 20-30 yards. For months I trained at 200-400 yards and I shot him at 35.... Just can't make this up.

Rifle: Remington 700 Sendero .300WM
    Bullet: 200 gr Hornady ELD-X
    Silencer: .30 cal Silencerco Omega
    Location: Crowheart, WY (Fitzpatrick Wilderness, above the Indian Res)
    Outfitter: Bugling Winds Outfitting

Truly a hunt of a lifetime. The Hankins family (guides) were top notch--I could not have had a better experience.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HoustonHunter; 01-04-2020, 11:39 AM.

Great bull and scenery! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Congrats, bucket list

Comment

Awesome great job nice bull.

Comment

Awesome dude! Congrats!

Comment

Great Bull and write up. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Wow that is awesome man. Congrats! Those pics look straight out of a magazine!

Comment

Congrats on an awesome hunt!

Comment

Congratulations,sounds like fun son!

Comment

That’s fantastic - congratulations!

Is that Buck Medley leading the horses?

Comment

Great bull and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                        That’s fantastic - congratulations!

Is that Buck Medley leading the horses?
                        That’s actually a woman—she tended the mules. She was fantastic. Great personality and extremely tough.

I’m amazed at how tough this whole group was—mountain living is no joke!

Comment

stud bull!!!!

more high fives to you

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                            I'm a little late posting, but better late than never.

I had the hunt of a lifetime for my first elk hunt in October of '19. A good friend of mine turned 50 and asked if I'd go on a bucket list hunt with him and I got suckered into it.....

We trained for 4-5 months but it was not enough for the rugged, tough country we hunted in. The guides had horses but a lot of the terrain could only be traversed on foot when it came to the actual hunt itself. Add a bunch of snow on the ground into the mix, coupled with single digit temps (thank God for the wall tent and wood burning stove), and it was tough!

Unbelievably, I shot this bull on opening morning (October 1st) at 9:15AM. We left camp at daylight, on foot, and as soon as we reached the first ridge we bugled and this boy started talking to us. We were on him immediately. We followed him and his herd for a few hours and finally decided to work our way around them to maneuver ourselves right into them. The plan worked. We had the entire herd come over the ridge and surround us. I had cows/spikes/calves within 5 yards. It was exhilarating. The herd cow knew something was up, and our bull hadn't presented himself yet, so we had to stay frozen for almost 25 minutes (talk about severe cramping). She watched us, and watched us, and watched us.

Finally, the herd started to keep moving and my bull presented a forward facing shot at 35 yards! It was the only shot I had and the herd was ready to bust out when I raised my rifle for a shot. I nailed him in the chest and he fell backwards down the ridge, stopping 20-30 yards. For months I trained at 200-400 yards and I shot him at 35.... Just can't make this up.

Rifle: Remington 700 Sendero .300WM
                            Bullet: 200 gr Hornady ELD-X
                            Silencer: .30 cal Silencerco Omega
                            Location: Crowheart, WY (Fitzpatrick Wilderness, above the Indian Res)
                            Outfitter: Bugling Winds Outfitting

Truly a hunt of a lifetime. The Hankins family (guides) were top notch--I could not have had a better experience.
                            Dude, you leaving my dream.

Congrats on a great hunt

Comment

PM me info on the hunt if you can. I’m building points for Wyoming. Congrats on a great bull

Comment

Working...
                              X