No announcement yet.

Flounder Regulation Changes TPWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Texas had a better than RECENT AVERAGE year this year. But it sucks compared to the 70s - 90s IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      This year was exceptional for flounder, at least for me and some guys I fish with. We were catching them not even targeting them this year. Lots of them. Sometimes 2-3 man limits, in the summer wading, not during the run. But the last few years before that they were non existent. Some of what TPW says seems true, all the fish we caught were in that 16-17” range like they said they would be. I do know I’ve caught a bunch of little 8-10” flounder also this winter, so that would mean we have a decent crop coming up. I don’t know what to believe really. Before this year they were hard to come by, at least for me. Who do you believe? The guys making a living off the fish or the people tasked with managing a fishery? And what would be the benefit for TPW to lower the limit? I’m kind of in the middle on the whole thing. Luckily I can’t consistently catch enough flounder for it to affect me much. Lol
      We think a lot alike (except I tell people about oyster lake). Next couple years will be interesting for sure.

Comment

When does it take affect?

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
          I’ll type a full explanation later, just got off the water. I agree and disagree if that makes sense.
          No, there is not a decline
          Yes, TP&W needs a contingency plan
          No, anglers aren’t hurting anything
          No, commercial guys aren’t hurting anything (not worth it to go)
          Yes, habitat is declining at a rapid rate,NO Freshwater inflows
          Yes, I agree with a 17” minimum, this protects the males
          Recruitment studies on juvenile fish is where samples should be taken
          That does make sense and I agree anglers are not hurting the population and they'll hurt it even less at 2, guess time will tell. Freshwater inflow is the greatest issue imo and lcra' s latest project isn't going to help any for matty. Education and forethought are desperately needed right now.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
            We think a lot alike (except I tell people about oyster lake). Next couple years will be interesting for sure.
            I tell people too, just a little more discretely. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
              I tell people too, just a little more discretely. Lol.
              LOL, Roger that

Comment

Folks, grew up when flounder were an expected part of the fishing trip. Many shrimpers also in my past. Those licenses are more and more far between. Those nets before newer rules lessor nets caught many a juvenile flounder which were trashed. These are people I hope the best for but I am game to eat less shrimp from bays like Corpus Christi for overall health of the system. The newer regs have clearly resulted in better rec. fisherman catching founder. The phasing out of the past practices is good IMO. I want those folks who rely on commercial fishing for their income to be respected. Big operations is different from mom and pop than what I am referring to clarify. All is good and we are going forward. Now how to smoke that flatty?

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                  maybe TPW should do dock surveys at night when 75% of the flounder are taken by gigging...
                  Most boat ramps in my area are empty at night.. I do a lot of night fishing and only see good gigging conditions about one out of 5 trips. Gigging definitely hasn't hurt the population on the upper coast..

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                    Most boat ramps in my area are empty at night.. I do a lot of night fishing and only see good gigging conditions about one out of 5 trips. Gigging definitely hasn't hurt the population on the upper coast..
                    As far as you can see! I drive to Galveston and every trip I'm seeing guys come out with a lot of flounder, and it's the same faces Everytime, this guys go daily and daily get their limit during the run. Yes as much as I hate it,something should be done about it!!! Ban Gigging and anything that lowers the population

Comment

Originally posted by DeerBySchultz View Post
                      As far as you can see! I drive to Galveston and every trip I'm seeing guys come out with a lot of flounder, and it's the same faces Everytime, this guys go daily and daily get their limit during the run. Yes as much as I hate it,something should be done about it!!! Ban Gigging and anything that lowers the population
                      Fishing the flounder run is much different than gigging.. if you had a hard time catching flounder this year then you have no idea how to flounder fish.. if something needs to be done they need to close the season during the run. Then only guys like myself will have flounder in the freezer..there isnt enough people with gigging boats to hurt the population on the upper coast..

I'd bet that the massive amounts of redfish hurt the population way more than any guy that gigs 6 or 8 times a year..

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                        iy in my area are empty at night.. I do a lot of night fishing and only see good gigging conditions about one out of 5 trips. Gigging definitely hasn't hurt the population on the upper coast..

I didn’t say anything about it hurting anything. I’m talking about the laziness of TPW. They go set gill nets then hang out at the ramps in daylight hours. There are far more flounder taken at night by gigging and TPW isn’t counting these fish.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                          I didn’t say anything about it hurting anything. I’m talking about the laziness of TPW. They go set gill nets then hang out at the ramps in daylight hours. There are far more flounder taken at night by gigging and TPW isn’t counting these fish.
                          A couple years ago I watched them run their gill net during the flounder run..we were fishing 200 yards or so away and had 2 limits in the boat.. they pulled up the net 4 or 5 times and never had a fish in it.. I'm sure the report read that there wasn't any fish in the lake when they were just in the wrong spot..

Comment

Working...
                          X