Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Texas Brush clearing?

Dozer the best way to do it?

2 dozers with ship anchor chain drug between the them.
    Our landowner has done it for years.
    Wipes the slate clean.

Comment

What are you trying to accomplish? Question is to open ended. Also where are you located in s. TX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mfsasser View Post
        What are you trying to accomplish? Question is to open ended. Also where are you located in s. TX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I do it many different ways
        Question is what are y’all looking for

Comment

Keep in mind that a dozer would scrape your top soil away. I would not use a dozer for food plots. Personally, I prefer mulching BUT if I had alot of acreage packed with invasive brush that I am just wanting to clear, I'd probably use a dozer because it'll be faster.
          Last edited by yotethumper; 12-27-2019, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
            Keep in mind that a dozer would scrape your top soil away. I would not use a dozer for food plots. Personally, I prefer mulching BUT if I had alot of acreage packed with invasive brush that I am just wanting to clear, I'd probably use a dozer because it'll be faster.
            unless hes wanting to plow it immediately for food plot or whatever then mulching aint worth a darn.

Better doze it.

Everbody is jumping on this mulching band wagon. I hope for their sake they have a good spray rig. You better spray religiously for the next several years if you mulch.

Comment

This is the question of our time, from a land managers perspective.

I think controlled burns are the answer but theres many issues with that.
              Mulching returns the biomass right back but can create a huge problem with root sprouting species
              Dozens work good but are hell on the soil and remove biomass, AND can enrage root sprouting species
              Chainsaws, no
              Cut and spray, needs to be basal sprayed first
              Not to mention the fight you have when you get woody veg cleared, broadleaf weeds and invasives like coastal and giant cane.....

In for the answer, but I think it's time + money + patience = small improvements

Comment

Originally posted by Czechfish View Post
                2 dozers with ship anchor chain drug between the them.
                Our landowner has done it for years.
                Wipes the slate clean.
                That's a dang good idea

Comment

Aerial spraying in the most effective IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                    unless hes wanting to plow it immediately for food plot or whatever then mulching aint worth a darn.

Better doze it.

Everbody is jumping on this mulching band wagon. I hope for their sake they have a good spray rig. You better spray religiously for the next several years if you mulch.
                    Biologist said he'd spray, mulch, and burn before ever using a dozer. He hated dozers and said they were only good for clearing roads.

If he is mulching food plots he of course will have to spray. I sprayed before mulching and hit the re-growth again afterwards. Worked very well. I was surprised at the lack of new growth in the mulched areas. Im strictly no till so retaining biomass is very important and a large part of the management plan.

Comment

Biologist said he'd spray, mulch, and burn before ever using a dozer. He hated dozers and said they were only good for clearing roads.

If he is mulching food plots he of course will have to spray. I sprayed before mulching and hit the re-growth again afterwards. Worked very well. I was surprised at the lack of new growth in the mulched areas. Im strictly no till so retaining biomass is very important and a large part of the management plan.
                      @yotethumper what do you use to spray? I plan to thin out the brush around my bow blind setup this coming year and looking for ways to accomplish them without using heavy machinery

Comment

LOL

If you have time to wait on the spray to work and then mulch i could see the benefits. But you still cant mulch underground.

In east texas the roots rot faster but we have so much more root mass and resprout issue.

I have seen people literally spend a million dollars mulching a place to have it all be a waste in 5-10 years if not religiously sprayed.
                        Last edited by dclifton; 12-27-2019, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Wildlife biologist I’m reading seem to generally advise against dozing as you lose fertility, but spraying, burning and cutting seem most helpful for soil productivity. Can’t you just run a shredder twice a year to keep the bush down after you do that? Just for clarity, I’m in research mode too so I’m not an expert by any means ��

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                            LOL

If you have time to wait on the spray to work and then mulch i could see the benefits. But you still cant mulch underground.

In east texas the roots rot faster but we have so much more root mass and resprout issue.

I have seen people literally spend a million dollars mulching a place to have it all be a waste in 5-10 years if not religiously sprayed.
                            Cut and sprayed the big stuff two weeks before the mulcher came through. Hit the grasses with gly. Didn't take much time and was easily done with a spray rig.

Anywho, I think you are misinterpreting my original post.

I'm not telling him to mulch 1000 acres LOL .
                            Last edited by yotethumper; 12-27-2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

What are you trying to accomplish? New roads? Clearing an entire pasture? Is it thick or is it spotty brush? Need details to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X