Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop drinking a case of beer the night before. I heard that helps

Comment

As stated above, ditch the energy drinks sooner than later and control the caffeine. You'll soon have saved enough $ to buy a good mattress.(and lower your odds of that unexplained heart attack) After that, see if you can hydrate more prior to workout and cut it back in the eve's so your not running back n forth to the wizzer...that's for us old guys. Good ol iced tea used to give me your same symptoms. Good luck amigo!

Comment

Cut the energy drinks out asap. Had a bad "addiction" to them in my 20s...now in my 30s with a kid, drink black coffee and water all day. I'd look into a new mattress and if your getting up all night to pee, you may need to get that checked out.

Comment

Quit the water and caffeine!!! If you’re drinking 32 oz of water at 7:30 and going to bed at 9, you’ll be getting up to pee. I forced myself to quit drinking several glasses of ice water at night, even though I crave it. I also switched to decaf ice tea and no coffee after 10 am.

As far as the energy drinks are concerned, get off of those ASAP. They’re horrible. But yourself a nespresso machine and try the different flavors for the morning. Best coffee ever and easy to make before hitting the road.

Comment

Dont discount eating late especially meat. Not just acid causing issues but the body has to break down whatever you eat and can make you not sleep as well.

My brother doesnt have any caffeine after lunchtime. He says he doesnt sleep well if he has caffeine in the afternoon.

Everyone has a little sleep apnea but if you dont snore I wouldnt think that was it.

The way you wake up has an effect on how you feel. Example a loud alarm clock or slowly dimming light waking you.

How you get out of bed can effect how you feel. Jumping up out of bed or laying there for 30 minutes.

Also there is restless leg syndrome which can effect your sleep.

In the end everyone has different circadian rhythms. Maybe you are just a night person. HA.

Comment

I'd recommend that you rule out sleep apnea by simply getting examined and not doing the sleep test yet. There are some simple things that your GP can do to make sure that you don't have some of the underlying conditions that cause OSA. If you don't have OSA, the next thing I would recommend is ruling out a congenital heart condition. They are both simple ways to rule out some possibly big medical conditions.

Comment

I am a terrible sleeper. I don't think I have taken a nap since I was a baby. Roach flattus wakes me up. Never feel comfortable. Jimmy legs/toss and turn all night. Once I wake up it takes me along time to get back to sleep. I have just dealt with it.

Late in October of last year I had rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder. My Ortho and friends who have had it done said you need to get a recliner if you plan on getting any sleep because rolling over on it in bed won't be a pretty sight. I never have been able to fall asleep lying on my back so I thought it was going to be a waste of money but I went ahead and got one. I was only getting 3-4 hours of sleep before the surgery from the pain so I went for it.

After the surgery when it was time to crash I would jam a pillow between the chair and my bad wing to keep from rolling over on it. I was uncomfortable at first but in time I got used to falling asleep basically "trapped/wedged" in the chair. I quit taking the hydrocodone early on because the speed in it just kept me awake and made things more miserable.

Once I got used to it I found out I was getting better sleep than I ever had before. I could wake up in the morning with my glasses and phone on my chest where I left them when I crashed watching tv. Not having moved an inch. I could wake up late from the tv still being on, turn it off and go right back to sleep.

I feel much more comfortable sleeping in my bed now too. I have my bad nights and haul to the recliner but somehow my body rewired itself to sleep more corpes-like than an electrocuted badger swimming in hot grease.

I am looking into the adjustable beds now too.

Comment

Too wake up better you need to sleep better and research shows there is a surefire way to fall asleep and stay asleep. Show your wife this article. Thank me later

Sleep Doctor is here to guide you every step of the way to a healthier, happier, and thriving life through the revitalizing power of sleep.

Comment

First, stop drinking so many fluids at night, or cut out energy drinks, or both.

Comment

I would look into a sleep study, especially if you snore. Your wife can tell you if you stop breathing at night, snoring can obstruct the amount of air you breathe, affecting quality of sleep. But first, get off the energy drinks. That will certainly affect your quality of sleep. People need different amounts, I'm fine with 5 to 7 hours, my wife would like 10 to 12 hours. We both use cpaps.

Comment

A little follow up on this after I tried almost everything mentioned.

I seldom drink caffeine after noon and I have never had trouble falling asleep. I do not believe that caffeine intake is affecting my quality of sleep. 400 mg or below is the recommended amount of caffeine intake. I average 160-320. FYI a cup off coffee is 100 mg. I think energy drinks are demonized more than makes sense. Are they good for you? Of course not. But i'd argue the 60 grams of sugar is worse than the caffeine or other supplements in them. People chug cokes like crazy. I don't drink cokes. We all have our vices.

Tried drinking a liter of water on the way to work. Did absolutely nothing.

Tried the breathing techinque right after getting out of bed. Nada.

I don't remember if someone mentioned it here or not but I normally snooze my alarm 3 or 4 times so I tried not doing that. BINGO. If you plan to snooze every day, your brain correlates the alarm with a few more minutes sleep. From the very first day that I set only 1 alarm at the time that I HAD to get up to go to work, I had no issue getting out of bed. I would even say that I felt good.

I commute an hour and 10 minutes 4 days a week and 2 hours on fridays. That commute is pre-dawn in the dark. Regardless of how good I feel before I leave the house, that long drive in the dark tries to lull me to sleep.

I was not and am not bothered by tiredness at this time because I can just drink caffeine in some format.

The difficulty getting out of bed was my complaint, and that seems to have been very simply resolved by setting only one alarm at a time that I no longer have time to hit snooze.

No i do not have prostate issues. I was just drinking a lot of water from 430 pm to bed time. You can't really fault me for prioritizing hydration because I treat kidney stones for a living. Dehydration is the #1 contributing factor.

I will also add that a few years ago I bought a backpacking hammock to use on an elk hunt. To get used to sleeping in it, I hung it in our bedroom. I ended up sleeping in it so well that I slept in it for several months. I would only wake up 1-3 times a night and I wouldn't even need to reposition. I would just go right back to sleep. I attribute this to the fact that the hammock removes all pressure points so you never get uncomfortable. However, even waking less, it was still very difficult for me to get up in the mornings.

Thanks for all the input. Hopefully other people can benefit from information presented in this thread.

Comment

try backing up the time you go to bed to see if more sleep helps.
                          I also "squeeze" my arms and legs from the outside in. I just use my knuckles to massage my arm and leg muscles like I'm trying to squeeze toothpaste out of them and into my body. With that much physical activity there are a lot of metabolic waste products in your lymphatic system that will clear faster if you physically help them get towards your lymph nodes. Otherwise the movement is passive.
                          also, make your bed time and wake times consistent as possible.

Comment

I think you're making it more complicated than it has to be. Are you hitting snooze over and over again on the alarm clock? Stop that bs right away. Set your alarm for when you need to get up, put the alarm out of arm's length reach from your bed, and when its time to get up just focus on getting your feet on the floor and getting out of bed.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
                              If the wife is so chipper, have her execute the ole rub n tug. I'm betting you wake up pretty happy about the day ahead.

Comment

My username says it all

Comment

Working...
                                X