Kamado/smoker chicken wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamado/smoker chicken wings

Anyone grilled/smoked wings? Looking for some input on some good wings wife and I love fried wings but trying to save a few calories plus I like firing up the smoker.

We do wings on the Weber kettle about 2-3 times a month. I dust with a little corn starch and seasoning and then cook as hot as I can get my kettle. Usually 500-600 somewhere in the 45min range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is how I do mine. Slow n sear on the Weber kettle.

Comment

I do wings on my Kamado Joe - really easy. Toss wings in seasoned flour so they are lightly coated. Start your fire and add just a couple chunks of your favorite smoking wood. (it is easy to over smoke poultry) put in your deflector plates and make sure the grill screen is well oiled so nothing sticks. Cook/smoke wings at 300* for about an hour - turn after 30 minutes. (they cook faster on a kamado due to the ceramic dome) I then toss them in a mixture of melted butter and Frank's Red Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          I do wings on my Kamado Joe - really easy. Toss wings in seasoned flour so they are lightly coated. Start your fire and add just a couple chunks of your favorite smoking wood. (it is easy to over smoke poultry) put in your deflector plates and make sure the grill screen is well oiled so nothing sticks. Cook/smoke wings at 300* for about an hour - turn after 30 minutes. (they cook faster on a kamado due to the ceramic dome) I then toss them in a mixture of melted butter and Frank's Red Hot.
          So you grill them with a light coat of flour? Have you ever smoked them with a light coat? I have an electric smoker.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            So you grill them with a light coat of flour? Have you ever smoked them with a light coat? I have an electric smoker.
            I was skeptical of that as well- I saw the recipe on the KamadoJoe YouTube channel and tried it. I think the fat bubbles out of the skin and mixes with the flour to form a light crust. I don’t know if that would work at lower smoking temperatures

Comment

I was skeptical of that as well- I saw the recipe on the KamadoJoe YouTube channel and tried it. I think the fat bubbles out of the skin and mixes with the flour to form a light crust. I don’t know if that would work at lower smoking temperatures

Same concept and why I use corn starch. My wife is all weird with the gluten crap so while I would use flour, we go with cs so she can eat some too. Comes out really crispy.

Comment

Thanks will give it a try!

Comment

Thanks guys! What are yalls favorite sauces? Of course original buffalo style, we also like the garlic Parmesan and lemon pepper plus the other sweet/spicy sauces out.

Comment

My favorite is 50/50 Tiger sauce and Franks hot buffalo. Sometimes I’ll add a little bit of bbq sauce to add more sweetness.

Comment

I'll smoke my wings in my Komado at 275 until internal temp is 165. Pull them and sauce them, then crank the heat up to about 400 and let the sauces carmelize a little. This is my favorite way to do them. Asian Zing, BBQ, Buffalo, or anything really works.

Comment

I do wings atleast twice a week. We love em lol. Sometimes I toss them in a bowl with olive oil and some sort of seasoning then grill over lump. Sometimes I just throw em on then sauce em after theyre done. Always good though. And always over lump charcoal.

Comment

I like to smoke mine on a low temp for an hour or 2. Then pull them and drop them in the grease and fry them for a couple mins until golden. Then sauce them. Good chit.

Comment

take wings from package and place on a rack and put in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight. This will dry out the skin. Brush wings with olive oil, season with your favorite chicken rub. I set my big green egg for indirect dome temp 350. cook wings for 45 minutes, sauce wings and cook ~15 more minutes. Sauce I typically use Franks Hot buffalo. I brush the sauce on versus tossing the wings in the sauce, helps keep the skin crisp.

Lower temp and the skin doesn't seem to crisp as much. in a hurry you you can dust with corn starch versus putting in fridge and skin will get crispy. Some people say the corn starch is gritty but I have not noticed that.
                            Last edited by wes; 01-28-2020, 08:44 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

Working...
                            X