No announcement yet.

Let's talk knifes and sharpeners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do any of you know what kind of knives that professional meat markets use?

Comment

I have the original Worksharp. Have any of you used the aftermarket belts from Amazon?

Comment

My son bought me a benchmade skinner last year, best knife I’ve ever used. It holds an edge like no knife I’ve ever owned. I sharpen with a worksharp and have no desire to use anything else. Also use an outdoor edge onyx my oldest son gave me, has the replaceable blades like the Havalon, crazy sharp, love it as well.

Comment

Can't beat a Havalon with a stick.
          Not the sexiest knife, but hands down the best for getting the job done.
          I leave the stag-handled custom in my cross draw sheath when it's time for business!

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post
            Do any of you know what kind of knives that professional meat markets use?

Victornox or dexter most likely. Sub $50 on amazon but that’s no fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a wicked edge or work Sharp . Prefer the wicked edge . I use a few different knives. Case , havalon, and a few customs

Comment

I used an outdoor edge knife with the razor inserts to skin a buck the first time this year. After 55 years of old school blades......I’m sold!

Comment

Havalon, Gerber and Outdoor Edge all make good replaceable blades. I prefer the Outdoor edge because the blade is a little more durable and it’s longer, it’s downfall is that it’s a little heavier if you’re packing in.

As far as traditional knives go the Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner is my go to. Some people may disagree with me on this but I think for the price Benchmade knives are the way to go unless you start talking about really high end knives.

For sharpeners I prefer a stationary 1” belt sharpener with a knife clamp that you can change the angle. I start with a 220 grit and work my way up to 2000 in 5 steps. Biggest thing is do not apply pressure to the blade and do not get the blade hot. I’m not a fan of the WorkSharp knife sharpeners. I haven’t had good luck with them fitting thicker style hunting knives or holding a good angle.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                    I have the original Worksharp. Have any of you used the aftermarket belts from Amazon?
                    I have not. But, I did pick up a set from a guy at the gun show a while back. They work great!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                      I have not. But, I did pick up a set from a guy at the gun show a while back. They work great!
                      Thanks.

Comment

I like a Morakniv companion. They are about $15 and have a cheap rubber plastic handle. The steel is really good for the money, they show up sharp, stay sharp and hold an edge a long time. I have other knives that are better and I like more, but for skinning a hanging deer and cutting leg joints, I love the little plastic sheath that clips in my belt or front pocket. I set a knife down, and blink, then spend the next 15 minutes looking for my knife. For butchering, deboning etc., I really like the Victorinox and white handled knives from restaurant supply stores. They are super reasonable and decent steel.
                        I inherited a tote with about every type of sharpener ever made. The lansky, work sharp and crock stick are cool, but it’s hard to beat a few laps on a 600 grit sanding belt then a quick touch on a MDF disc on a harbor freight motor/mandrel dresses with some rouge.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                          Yes I use the after market belts off Amazon
                          Really like them , some are different grits then what worksharp makes, once I get my angle, I stay in the lighter grits but always finish with the leather with metal compound It makes my knives beyond scary sharp or use the old purple belts with different metal polish compounds same result
                          Check out commercial belt supply store and check to see if they carry any that you can cut down to fit your worksharp

Best cheap amazon knife is amorakniv
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-15-2020, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I replaced my replaceable blade knives this year with the iron will outfitter k1 and a small smiths brand sharpener. I definitely prefer the fixed over replaceable.

Comment

Lansky

Comment

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
                                I like a Morakniv companion. They are about $15 and have a cheap rubber plastic handle. The steel is really good for the money, they show up sharp, stay sharp and hold an edge a long time. I have other knives that are better and I like more, but for skinning a hanging deer and cutting leg joints, I love the little plastic sheath that clips in my belt or front pocket. I set a knife down, and blink, then spend the next 15 minutes looking for my knife. For butchering, deboning etc., I really like the Victorinox and white handled knives from restaurant supply stores. They are super reasonable and decent steel.
                                I inherited a tote with about every type of sharpener ever made. The lansky, work sharp and crock stick are cool, but it’s hard to beat a few laps on a 600 grit sanding belt then a quick touch on a MDF disc on a harbor freight motor/mandrel dresses with some rouge.
                                I was surprised no one had mentioned a Mora, this weekend I laid out all my knives which included several Moras everytime I looked around they had a Mora in their hand. My son in law finally asked where he could get one of those. I said take two and just buy more on amazon.

Comment

Working...
                                X