No announcement yet.

Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats to the A team on a great hunt. I passed on a doe the first morning and went home empty handed for it. That's ok, there's always next year. This was my second year at lanwr and I learned alot (again) but there's always more to learn. Got to meet the laguna master and want to give him a big thanks for passing along alot of info as well.

Comment

Well done A team and thanks for the updates.

So four Nilgai taken total and maybe only one that was mature based on the last chalkboard - does that seem a bit light to anyone else? Consistent with a recent cull?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot92 View Post
        Had a great first trip stuck a doe and a cow Nilgai! Hope I get drawn next year! I’d post pictures but I don’t know how...
        Get Tapatalk and it’s a piece of cake to upload pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
          Congrats to the A team on a great hunt. I passed on a doe the first morning and went home empty handed for it. That's ok, there's always next year. This was my second year at lanwr and I learned alot (again) but there's always more to learn. Got to meet the laguna master and want to give him a big thanks for passing along alot of info as well.
          Yea man I agree. Even though I was finally successful, I still have too much to learn. But I’m down and ready to get back out there to fight the bush and MOSQUITOES!!!
          Originally posted by gburk View Post
          Well done A team and thanks for the updates.

So four Nilgai taken total and maybe only one that was mature based on the last chalkboard - does that seem a bit light to anyone else? Consistent with a recent cull?
          Yea, that one nilgai was around 250 they said but the guy only weighed the meat. I guess he boned it out in the field. Lots of small animals taken this year so far. The helicopter hunts were not conducted over the hunt areas of Laguna this year. Across the Arroyo on that am side of the refuge, but the nilgai numbers were still thin it seemed.

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post

I saw some bulls and cows but getting them in range was another story. A nilgai was shot but never recovered in unit 5 and I know of a few others that saw lots of Nilgai in 3 and 5. Two guys I know of missed as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can anyone share how long the orientation is? Wanna know if I can get away with taking only half day off work. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Whalerboy67 View Post
                Can anyone share how long the orientation is? Wanna know if I can get away with taking only half day off work. Thanks

It’s an hour total give or take a few minutes.

Comment

Been following along and wanted to say congrats to everyone on your hunts. Looking forward to hopefully getting drawn next year!

Comment

Comment

On a different note, what was up with the **** siren in the mornings?

Comment

My first time as well. So many different types of terrain, so much to learn. I passed on two very tiny deer and went home empty handed. But on Thursday scouting, after setting up my spot with my wife along for the walk, a 200+ lb nilgai cow walked within 20 yards of us, seemingly oblivious to our standing there (quietly) with binos in hand. It was unbelievable. The next morning, in the first hour of legal shooting time, I saw a massive bull gallop out of the thicket behind me, well out of range, like he was late for a date somewhere. Those sightings got me really amped up for the hunt; they were the only two nilgai sightings for me for the entire hunt. Will apply for this hunt every year from now on -- such an incredibly cool place, and so many different places and ways to hunt it.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                          Get Tapatalk and it’s a piece of cake to upload pics.
                          I downloaded Tapatalk and I can't figure out how in the world to use it for this forum. Can you throw a few pointers my way?

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                            On a different note, what was up with the **** siren in the mornings?
                            I was told it’s the cattle rancher on the neighboring property, uses the siren to round up the cows.

Comment

Originally posted by TGKIL View Post
                              I downloaded Tapatalk and I can't figure out how in the world to use it for this forum. Can you throw a few pointers my way?
                              When you click on the topic you want to reply to, up in the top right corner, there will be 3 dots. Click those and it will bring up options for you to use. Chose reply and it will open a screen to type. Above the keyboard is tabs to add attachments or pics from your camera roll on your phone. Pick the photo you want, hit done and it will upload. Hit reply in the top right corner and you are done.

Comment

My biggest sighting was NOT the doe that came and laid up four yards from me not realizing I was there. (Took that one home with me) or the three nilgai bulls that I missed, or all the nilgai that were out of range.

My biggest sighting was this 65 year old hunter out in unit 3 asking to borrow my game cart. I rode up on him on the rode and he says "do you mind putting that cart to good use". I said you shot one? He says yes it is right over there. You should have seen the bow he was using. All this hype of these new bows, this man was using a bow that was almost 30 years old. Got a clean pass through and we could not find the arrow. We loaded up the doe onto the game cart and I started the 4.5 my bike ride back to the gate. He offered to pull the cart but I insisted that I take it. About halfway there he insisted that he help haul out the animal. I finally said okay go ahead. I was thinking to myself he will ask me to take over here in a bit. Well was I surprised.

For all you hunters thinking you may be too old. This 65 year old man biked out for over two miles against the wind like a young buck chasing a hot doe. It was impressive to see.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X