Bear Super Kodiak Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear Super Kodiak Review

Was looking for something with a bit more performance than my Grizzly, but wasn't as finicky to shoot as my 59' Kodiak Repo. The Kodiak is a beautiful bow, but being as temperamental as she is, just wasn't doing it for me anymore.

I looked at several different options, even considered going back to a Satori (which is what I originally started with but with different riser/limb configuration) when I found a Super Kodiak LH 55# bow in stock at 3Rivers archery. I thought about it for a day or two and decided "what the heck, lets give it a try". I knew the Super Kodiak was the favorite of Fred Bear for many years, but also know that its got a sort of funky long riser and the high wrist grip isn't a favorite by many archers, so I knew there was gonna be some give and take with this rig. The one they had a picture of was a nice looking but not overly special Super Kodiak with a Shedua Riser. I placed the order and waited.......

About 7 days later i got a box in the mail, just like in the past when ordering from 3Rivers. I opened the box and was suprised to find a SK with a bright, blonde riser. I'll admit I was a bit taken aback, as I don't mind my Women being blonde but def. prefer darker tones when it comes to my hunting equipment.

Last edited by txtrophy85; 04-22-2022, 03:02 PM.

Bear Super Kodiak Review

I have always had a mixed feeling about the SK as I've always thought the riser on them looked kind of goofy, and visually much prefer the styling of a bow like a Grizzly, Martin Mamba or even the 59' Kodiak. I hung it up and let it sit for a few days, then found myself with a free minute yesterday so I strung it up, set the brace height at 8 3/8" pinched on a knock and grabbed a few arrows for a quick test run.

First thing I had noticed when i drew the bow was how smooth the draw was. Its a tad bit heavier than the Grizzly but I expected that with the shorter limb design. In the hand the bow felt great and the grip felt very natural. As soon as I let the first arrow fly, I smiled. I shot probably about a dozen times and the bow felt very natural, easy to shoot and pretty quiet, having no quiver, silencers or felt backing on the limbs.

I added some felt and took it for another run today, and I can say I am liking this bow very much. Performance wise its in between the Grizzly and the Kodiak....Arrow flight is certainly quicker than the Grizzly ( both it and the SK are 55# bows) and although not quite as snappy as the 5lb heavier Kodiak, the arrow flight is remarkably better. Ordered a new honey-gold Selway Quiver with a custom engraving on the hood which should arrive in the next two weeks. Even the color of the riser has grown on me

This is the best 3 shot group I was able to get today, shot @ 17 yards

Last edited by txtrophy85; 04-22-2022, 03:19 PM.

Comment

What kind of pokemon is that you're using as a target?[emoji15][emoji23]
      Great shooting and congratulations on the new stick!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        What kind of pokemon is that you're using as a target?[emoji15][emoji23]
        Great shooting and congratulations on the new stick!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
        It’s the rear end of a Big Shooter bass pro 3-D target that has been shot in half….didn’t have time to run up there yet and get a replacement so I’m making do!

Comment

Always wanted to to try a SK. You shoot it very well!

Comment

Good group and congrats. I shoot the Kodiak takedown version of this bow. Anniversary and standard model, 60” and 56”. Love em.

Comment

Congratulations that is really a nice looking bow. And blondes have more fun they say, good luck with it.

Comment

I've owned a couple of them. Big and smooth is how I describe them. I have the same thing in the tail end of my Kodiak Special collection. 1965, 1966, and 1967 models were massive bows and shoot like a Cadillac rides. I enjoy that on occasion. Not my choice for an everyday shooter, though. I really like the original '59 Kodiak. That was the first bow that I ever picked up where I got the sensation that even the riser was an active part of the shot.

Comment

I have a couple of them and also like the way they shoot. I picked up a honey at an estate sale for $100.00. Not a crack or mark on it. It is a 43#er and has blonde wood on half the riser and a greyish looking wood on the other half. My goal is to find a take down at a price I can afford. You did good with that purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                    I've owned a couple of them. Big and smooth is how I describe them. I have the same thing in the tail end of my Kodiak Special collection. 1965, 1966, and 1967 models were massive bows and shoot like a Cadillac rides. I enjoy that on occasion. Not my choice for an everyday shooter, though. I really like the original '59 Kodiak. That was the first bow that I ever picked up where I got the sensation that even the riser was an active part of the shot.
                    I can’t speak to the 60’s models but this riser is wide but slim. It’s not bulky and really a lightweight bow.

The 59’ I love everything about except the way I shoot it. Love the look, the color, even the draw weight is ok with me, the problems start after I release the string.

It’s for sale now and hope to re-home it to a Buyer who will not only cherish it but can shoot it to its full potential

Comment

Working...
                    X