Free Choice Feeding Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Choice Feeding Opinions

I’m thinking about using 2 of my gravity feeders to feed corn next to my protein feeders and using my corn slingers on my circle traps to keep the hogs coming on a steady pattern. I’ve done it before with the hog traps and it works well. The reason I want to take the slingers out of the feed pens is because the hogs are still working the outside of the pens because of the few kernels that are slung outside. My question is do y’all think that it would allow the deer to become totally nocturnal being that both protein and corn is available throughout the night?

I hunt E Tx "Diboll" area. All I use is free choice feeders for everything. Corn, Double Down, protein, etc.. I have done this for at least a decade now.

I notice the deer appear at or about the same times they did with spin cast feeders. And, are less timid.

Comment

You know where I hunt Terry. I prefer free choice feed and I don't find that the mature bucks have become more or less nocturnal using that method.

Comment

That’s good info BB. I was thinking the same in a way. Our deer have very little pressure and hopefully it will allow them to establish a routine that can be patterned.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
          You know where I hunt Terry. I prefer free choice feed and I don't find that the mature bucks have become more or less nocturnal using that method.
          Great to know Josh. Thanks

Comment

G Man,

I am near Pineywoods and been doing something similar.

Keep a spinner going for hogs and the year round hunting, and a gravity feeder with a pen around it. I have seen very good results with it.

J

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
              G Man,

I am near Pineywoods and been doing something similar.

Keep a spinner going for hogs and the year round hunting, and a gravity feeder with a pen around it. I have seen very good results with it.

J
              Thankyou sir.

Comment

I have used both methods and found that the deer are going to eat when they want to no mater when the feeder turns on. I also noticed more deer coming to the free choice feeder. That also means filling it up a lot more. The only reason I put up a timed feeder was to cut back on the amount of corn I was buying.

Comment

As you know Terry, we feed cottonseed year round down South. My pens are big enough that my spinners do not throw corn outside the pens. However late in the year and into Spring, the dang doves get so bad they get most of the corn, so soon as I'm done hunting, I set my spinners to go off at about 8:45PM and again about 4:45AM. This gives the deer a fair shot at it before the doves swoop in. Now about middle of September, I change my feed times for the corn back to daylight and dusk. I don't really think it changes the deer's feeding habits a bit. All this does is allow them first shot at the corn. This does work well for us because the doves are much less prevalent around the feeders.

Comment

Thanks Charlie. And keep in mind that I’m always available during dove season if I can help you out with those pesty old birds.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                      Thanks Charlie. And keep in mind that I’m always available during dove season if I can help you out with those pesty old birds.
                      Count on it!

Comment

Do any of you guys use the Bossbuck gravity feeders? If so, how do they hold up to coons and squirrels? I thought about getting 1 for my 40 acres in Harrison County because I can feed corn, soybeans, protein anything through 1 feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                          Do any of you guys use the Bossbuck gravity feeders? If so, how do they hold up to coons and squirrels? I thought about getting 1 for my 40 acres in Harrison County because I can feed corn, soybeans, protein anything through 1 feeder.
                          I think the only way to coon-proof a gravity feeder is lead and traps.

Comment

Working...
                          X