Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 College Football - Bowl Season (For Most)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some scattershooting for anyone that wants to speculate along with me:

If other programs follow UT's lead in NIL and there's no limit on "walk ons," then there's not gonna be whole lot of linemen (or pick your position) left for the non-participants.

Let's say 10, 20 or however many programs decide to play the big time money game and take 10 scholarship linemen and 10 walk ons each. That's 200 to 400 of the best linemen in the country assuming there's even that many worth paying.

I'm sure not all players can be bought but most can be, I suspect.

I wonder if NIL might facilitate some average to good programs with tons of alumni and money to elevate their positions. I don't see Baylor playing this game, but I could see Tech or UCF (if they have rich alumni) doing it, for example. Perhaps OSU. Lots of other programs with lots of rich alumni.

I wonder who the "second tier" programs will be. If 10 to however many teams load up on top recruits via both scholarships and walk ons, a lot of talent will never see the field. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, we see NFL caliber players who've collected their NIL money for the first couple of years but who are also stuck behind higher draft picks on their team transfer to other programs simply for exposure. Of course, the Alpha's will be recruiting from lesser programs, as well, so transfers will flow both ways.

I wonder if NIL might not hasten the emergence of a new super conference consisting of those teams willing to pay. I've read rumors of 64 teams and 32 teams. With NIL, even 32 seems a little high but who knows?

And if a super conference emerges, I wonder what rules they'll impose on themselves so they aren't bidding against each other at ever increasing costs. I could envision something like scholarship and walk on limits or "salary caps".

I'm not a big fan of a 12 team playoff with first round byes for the top 4 conference champions. I'd rather the number be 8 or 16 if expansion occurs.

Ironically, if the expansion proposed in June of this year had occurred this season, Baylor would have been one of the first round byes. As I understand it, the proposal rewarded the top 4 rated conference champions, and Baylor, at number 4 (of conference champions) would have played the winner of Georgia v. Utah based on current rankings, or something like that. Still not a fan, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post

I wish him well but I did question some of his calls defensively in the 4th wtr snd some at the start of games especially against Ole Miss.

How soon till Elko sucks. Didn’t want. Glad he’s gone …. Jimbo deserves better?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

Man i was letting that bait set a little longer [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          First name that comes to my mind is Manny Diaz? I’d think he has decent recruiting ties in TX and FL? I won’t claim to know anything about his defensive schemes.

I know he has some pretty good supporters as a defensive guy. He did really well at Miss state. But has he had any success since??? He failed miserably at UT. But we’ve been cursed for a while. As Mack used to say, when a team wins or loses the coaches aren’t that great nor that bad.

Comment

Not saying that. He built a good defense but I thought it could have improved in a lot of areas. He may suck as a head coach but I honestly wish we still had him and we do not loose some recruits. All depends on Jimbo’s next DC hire. Hope he shakes up the FBS!

Comment

Originally posted by DaBears View Post
              Some scattershooting for anyone that wants to speculate along with me:

If other programs follow UT's lead in NIL and there's no limit on "walk ons," then there's not gonna be whole lot of linemen (or pick your position) left for the non-participants.

Let's say 10, 20 or however many programs decide to play the big time money game and take 10 scholarship linemen and 10 walk ons each. That's 200 to 400 of the best linemen in the country assuming there's even that many worth paying.

I'm sure not all players can be bought but most can be, I suspect.

I wonder if NIL might facilitate some average to good programs with tons of alumni and money to elevate their positions. I don't see Baylor playing this game, but I could see Tech or UCF (if they have rich alumni) doing it, for example. Perhaps OSU. Lots of other programs with lots of rich alumni.

I wonder who the "second tier" programs will be. If 10 to however many teams load up on top recruits via both scholarships and walk ons, a lot of talent will never see the field. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, we see NFL caliber players who've collected their NIL money for the first couple of years but who are also stuck behind higher draft picks on their team transfer to other programs simply for exposure. Of course, the Alpha's will be recruiting from lesser programs, as well, so transfers will flow both ways.

I wonder if NIL might not hasten the emergence of a new super conference consisting of those teams willing to pay. I've read rumors of 64 teams and 32 teams. With NIL, even 32 seems a little high but who knows?

And if a super conference emerges, I wonder what rules they'll impose on themselves so they aren't bidding against each other at ever increasing costs. I could envision something like scholarship and walk on limits or "salary caps".

I'm not a big fan of a 12 team playoff with first round byes for the top 4 conference champions. I'd rather the number be 8 or 16 if expansion occurs.

Ironically, if the expansion proposed in June of this year had occurred this season, Baylor would have been one of the first round byes. As I understand it, the proposal rewarded the top 4 rated conference champions, and Baylor, at number 4 (of conference champions) would have played the winner of Georgia v. Utah based on current rankings, or something like that. Still not a fan, though.

BYU already funding walk-on scholarships for all their guys. Tech already funded a position group (OL). Texas did this with TE’s this year. I’m sure with a little research there are more deals out there.

It’s not about playing the game or not, it’s about having the ability to do it and being able to support it for years.

Comment

First name that comes to my mind is Manny Diaz? I’d think he has decent recruiting ties in TX and FL? I won’t claim to know anything about his defensive schemes.

I thought I saw his name associated with Penn State already. The blank check book could probably change that.

Comment

Neither does Manny! His defense is the run around and do stuff defense!

Comment

Gary Patterson as DC at A&M? Thoughts?

Comment

Rich coming from the fan base that LITERALLY TODAY was offering to help portal players pack! LMAO!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Rich coming from the fan base that LITERALLY TODAY was offering to help portal players pack! LMAO!

In fairness every UT guy has prayed for Foster to leave since his soph Year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                          Gary Patterson as DC at A&M? Thoughts?
                          He would kill it

Comment

2021 College Football - Bowl Season (For Most)

This was in regards to an ag just days ago trying to call out other people for the very thing they didn’t take 3 post to do….

Comment

Your point?

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                                In fairness every UT guy has prayed for Foster to leave since his soph Year.

Yup..its well documented in these threads. He's been in and out of the portal more than any Aggie at the Chicken urinal.... Sorry not sorry..
                                Last edited by Smart; 12-10-2021, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X