Stagecoach Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stagecoach Mary

I started listening to podcasts on Spotify - Legends of the Old West. Today I listened about Stagecoach Mary.

Not only was her story flat amazing, it was the age at which she accomplished most of it. She was a slave until she was over 50 and that's when her story starts!

She was in her late 60's when she started running a stagecoach delivering mail in the back country of Montana, which she did for 8 years.

I'm shocked that a feature movie was never made about her life. Lots to appreciate about getting older and freedom that she loved. She smoked cigars, drank whiskey, and was known to knock out men in a single punch. She was honorable, dedicated and loyal and loved being an American.

One thing she was fond of - she didn't know her true birthdate so she would about twice a year walk into a bar on a day of her choosing and announce that today was her birthday! It was never the same days, it was whenever she felt like it.

That is an interesting story! I really enjoy that podcast.

Comment

Would-be mail thieves didn’t stand a chance against Stagecoach Mary. The hard-drinking, quick-shooting mail carrier sported two guns and men’s clothing.

Mary Fields. Lived a long eventful life for sure. I bet she was something else.

"Since her husband, Buck, worked in the fields, her mother gave her the name Mary Fields. When the Civil War broke out, the Dunnes left and the slaves had to fend for themselves. This is where Mary learned the hardscrabble life that she preferred in adulthood. Fields was freed when American slavery was outlawed in 1865."
      Last edited by Bayouboy; 05-11-2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Listened to it myself after the podcast was suggested in another thread. Very interesting for sure and makes travel time fly by

Comment

I'm fairly new at listening to podcasts, but Legends of the Old West is by far my favorite...it is stocked full of great stories and history. Haven't listened to Stagecoach Mary yet, but will make it back around to it soon....thanks for the tip!

Comment

You are right that would make a great movie or Netflix series!

Comment

Another one I like to listen to is America's Forgotten Heroes, by The Daily Wire. It has historical stories of Jimmy Doolittle, John Paul Jones, Booker T Washington (which is fascinating backdrop to events of current times), and a few others. I hope they come out with more.

Comment

Very cool story. Thanks for posting. Definitely deserves a quality movie on her life.

Wish they’d also make an accurate movie about Bass Reeves. Talk about tough people!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                  Another one I like to listen to is America's Forgotten Heroes, by The Daily Wire. It has historical stories of Jimmy Doolittle, John Paul Jones, Booker T Washington (which is fascinating backdrop to events of current times), and a few others. I hope they come out with more.
                  Cool, will check this out. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MontagueMech View Post
                    Very cool story. Thanks for posting. Definitely deserves a quality movie on her life.

Wish they’d also make an accurate movie about Bass Reeves. Talk about tough people!!!!
                    Legends of the Old West has a very good podcast on Bass Reeves. If you haven't heard it, check it out...definitely a tough dude!!

Comment

I have read this story somewhere else about two years ago. Sounded like she was pretty tough.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        I have read this story somewhere else about two years ago. Sounded like she was pretty tough.
                        Tough times create tough men/women. People nowadays complain about everything and take everything for granted. We live in the best country in the world and people complain about nonsense everyday.

Comment

If you liked the story about Stagecoach Mary look up Charlie Parkhurst.

Comment

Working...
                          X