Battery Lawn Mowers??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Lawn Mowers??

Used the search function and found a little info but looking for more.

Previously had a Honda gas mower (had zero problems with it) but the buyer of my house wanted it so off it went, one less thing to store while we built our home.

Now I'm trying to decide between a lawn crew and a new mower. Strongly considering the battery powered options out there now.

For those of your that have gone the battery route, how do you like it? What's realistic battery life like? I've got roughly a 1/4 acre of grass cutting area (not lot size).

I've got a whole mess of dewalt tools so if anyone has experience with the Dewalt battery mowers that would be even more helpful.

My dad bought a 40 volt last year. His yard is thick St Augustine and the mover would bog he had to stop and go as the slowest speed was too fast. He is a twice a week mower not letting it get shaggy. I think it was a Ryobi. They returned it after a few weeks and got a Honda self propelled push mower.

Comment

My wife bought the old school manual push kind. It cuts better than my $800 toro lol just a little more work especially when the grass gets taller this summer..

Comment

My neighbor has one. I think it's a Greenworks.

His only complaint is one charge will barely get through his lawn, which is a standard subdivision lot; less than 1/4 acre. He has a couple batteries as he as a couple other pieces of equipment, so its not a big deal if he needs to change out.

Not worrying about needing gas, winterizing, dirty carbs, etc. is the trade off. He has told me on more than one occasion that he will not go back to gas.

I'd say yard size is the primary constraint on battery operated mowers.

Comment

I have a DeWalt mower. I bought the non self-propelled version since the battery life was a little bit longer (75 minutes of use per charge.) It’s super light and I really see no need for the propelled version. I only have about .2 acres and can mow it multiple times on one battery charge. What I like about it is I can use the 20Ah batteries that come with it in my other tools. I ended up buying the trimmer and blower, too. No more mixing gas for me and talk about nice not having to fight a trimmer/weed eater while trying to get it started.

Comment

I recently got a dewalt weed eater, and will stongly consider the mower if my current set up ever craps out.

Comment

i have ryobi mower, blower, and combo edge/weed eeater all 40v

mower was decent if you stayed mowing once a week, but now the button to start is very finacy and you have to hold it down while mowing which is a pain.

the other two items mentioned are solid.

Comment

Battery Lawn Mowers??

I use a battery powered Toro recycler for my front yard / ditch. Works great, battery life will greatly depend on how tall / thick the grass is. Mine essentially kicks into “high gear” when it detects a certain load. Battery will drain pretty quickly if it stays in “high gear”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I Bought a ryobi two years ago January 2020 and it’s still going strong
                  I do have to cut the grass once a week during growing season in order to get the whole yard on one battery. I have the 40amp and I’m on a 12,000 square foot lot
                  I like mine and won’t go back to gas for my residential lot. It’s quite, lite and I can fold it up and hang it on the wall so it stores well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just got a Makita battery weedeater last weekend. We have a battery powered chainsaw and limb saw in our rental fleet from them and they work well. Looking to get a battery mower now so I'll be looking forward to the responses.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

The idea of going battery operated is so tempting. I just don't know if I'll like it if the batteries don't last long enough to get through the entire yard without having to stop and swap/recharge the batteries. Seems like the size of my yard is on the border of being more than the batteries can handle.

Comment

I looked at the Ego.

The mower deck is not as wide and the bag is much smaller, while the price is almost the same as a Honda.

I do have the Ego weed eater, blower and chainsaw, very impressed.

Don't let the batteries freeze.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Owner of a twenty acre farm I hunt on got a battery mower from Lowe's and it works great if the grass is short ,bogs down ,long story short he pays me $50 to mow his fenced in backyard with a gas mower I bought at tractor supply for $350

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                            Thanks for the input guys.

The idea of going battery operated is so tempting. I just don't know if I'll like it if the batteries don't last long enough to get through the entire yard without having to stop and swap/recharge the batteries. Seems like the size of my yard is on the border of being more than the batteries can handle.

Here’s another thought, you have any neighbors / friends that run battery mowers? I’ve let a few buddies borrow mine just to confirm they could get through cutting their yard without having to charge batteries. Hell I’d you let you borrow mine if your in my area (Alvin).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For my own yard I have 2 of these and will never go back to mowing myself.

After decades of innovation and testing, Automower® is proud to be the World’s Leading Robotic Mower. Keep your lawn freshly cut every day without the work! Enjoy free shipping + buy now, pay over time

Comment

Working...
                              X