want to start playing stocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

want to start playing stocks

Looking for suggestions on apps/firms/online trading for first timer. Just wanting to start playing around with stock trading. Not getting in deep, just get my toes wet in the kiddie pool. What's an easy site for a beginner to use?

I use TD Ameritrade, pretty user friendly. There are two threads on here about stocks.

Penny Stocks Anyone and Stock Market

Comment

Welcome to the wormhole.

I use ETrade, it is simple and has lower cost. Not free trading, but simple to set up and navigate. Over the years I have used Fidelity and Vanguard, these systems were clunky at best.

I also have Robinhood and Coinbase accounts to chase Crypto. (I would not recommend this as a start-up but others may.)

Do your own diligence, there are lots of pumpers out there who are only looking to bump numbers short term. You start chasing those and your pool will evaporate.

Good luck!

Comment

I use Charles Schwab. I would pretend trading for a few weeks to get your feet wet without losing anything.

Comment

X2 on E trade.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've heard some are a little more 'in-depth' than what I need right now but ETrade and Ameritrade have come up often for easy to use sites.

Comment

It would be in your absolute best interest to go to vanguard.com open a Roth IRA and a Brokerage account. Move $6000 into the Roth IRA and every extra dime into the brokerage account.

Once the accounts are open and funded buy shares of VTI which is a total market index meaning you are buying small pieces of every company in the US. Every month move more money to the brokerage account and buy more shares of VTI. Then next year move $6000 more to the Roth account. Rinse and repeat.

Comment

R/wallstreetbets

Comment

Just buy stock in whatever politicians have stock in and you'll be set. Just make sure you sell when they sell.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                    It would be in your absolute best interest to go to vanguard.com open a Roth IRA and a Brokerage account. Move $6000 into the Roth IRA and every extra dime into the brokerage account.

Once the accounts are open and funded buy shares of VTI which is a total market index meaning you are buying small pieces of every company in the US. Every month move more money to the brokerage account and buy more shares of VTI. Then next year move $6000 more to the Roth account. Rinse and repeat.

I second this message

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post

I don't have that kind of cheddar right now. 2 little kids just starting school and wife finishing up her Master's degree and I'm the sole income and run my own business. Good advice for when the wife graduates here in a year and a half or so though. Thank you. I've actually heard that or something very similar to that not long ago.

Comment

All you have to do is buy it before it goes up and sell it before it goes down. If you stick with those two transactions it makes it enjoyable

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                          All you have to do is buy it before it goes up and sell it before it goes down. If you stick with those two transactions it makes it enjoyable
                          lol...you make it sound sooo simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Onski69 View Post
                            I don't have that kind of cheddar right now. 2 little kids just starting school and wife finishing up her Master's degree and I'm the sole income and run my own business. Good advice for when the wife graduates here in a year and a half or so though. Thank you. I've actually heard that or something very similar to that not long ago.
                            In that case, VTI shares are $225 a piece. Buy one share. Then when you get another $225+/- buy another.

You aren’t going to win the r/wallstreetbets game, get into VTI expect 5-10% growth of that money annually and you will be far far better off in 10 years.

Comment

I played /gambled with stocks in my youth. Totally missed the boat by not buying good stocks and cost averaging.

It was disposable income and I disposed it.

I say fake trade for a while and see if the reward is worth the risk of your hard earned dollars.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X