No announcement yet.

3 Police Officers Killed in Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s horrible. Prayers for the fallen officers families and the surviving officers.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
      They should have taken the extra inch.......now way he should have been taken into custody.....eye for an eye.
      I totally agree. I just checked out his mug shot and whoever stomped the mud hole in his face definitely walked away thinking he was dead.

Comment

Originally posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
        I totally agree. I just checked out his mug shot and whoever stomped the mud hole in his face definitely walked away thinking he was dead.
        I think your right. I don’t think Mike Tyson could’ve worked him over any better.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
          ALLEN, Ky. — A third police officer has died after a shootout in a small Eastern Kentucky town on Thursday evening.

Sheriff’s Deputy William Petry and Prestonsburg Police Capt. Ralph Frasure, who were killed trying to serve a warrant yesterday, were brought back from the Frankfort today.July 1, 2022

Sheriff’s Deputy William Petry and Prestonsburg Police Capt. Ralph Frasure, who were killed trying to serve a warrant yesterday, were brought back from the Frankfort today.July 1, 2022
          The fatal shootings of two officers were announced the morning after the incident, but another officer who had been in critical condition succumbed to his injuries Friday night, Kentucky State Trooper Matt Gayheart confirmed.

Jacob Chaffins, a patrolman for Prestonsburg Police, died Friday, according to a social media post by the department. He was the canine handler for K9 officer Drago, who also was killed during the shootout..

Floyd County Sheriff's Deputy William Petry, a former state trooper, and Prestonsburg Police Capt. Ralph Frasure, a 39-year law enforcement veteran, also died.

"It's a small community and not only did we lose a couple of great officers, but we also lost pillars of the community," Gayheart said. "It's going to take the community rallying around to get through it."

How it happened

Four officers were attempting to serve a warrant to 49-year-old Lance Storz at his home on Main Street when he opened fire with a rifle, according to his arrest citation.

Just before 7 p.m., state [olice received a call to assist, Gayheart said. In addition to troopers, more officers from the Prestonsburg department and agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives' London and Ashland Offices responded to the scene in Allen, population 166.

About three hours later, Lance Storz, 49, was taken into custody, Gayheart said. He was booked into the Pike County Detention Center about 4:30 a.m. and charged with two counts of murdering a police officer, five counts of attempted murder of a police officer, one count of attempted murder and one count of first-degree assault of a service animal, court records show.

Besides the three officers and dog who were fatally wounded, four other officers were injured along with an emergency management director.

Two of the officers are in stable condition and one was treated and released, according to state police. The civilian injured was still receiving treatment at a hospital as of 4 p.m. Friday.

“They encountered pure hell,” Floyd County Sheriff John Hunt said. “They had no chance.”

Officers were attempting to serve Storz with a warrant after an emergency domestic violence protective order for Storz's wife was issued on Thursday, court records show.

The state police critical incident response team is investigating the shooting.

"We're trying to figure out what led up to before the active shooting took place," Gayheart said Friday evening. Several law enforcement officials remained at the scene of the shooting well into the night, with at least two squad cars littered with bullets being towed away around 7 p.m.

Gov. Andy Beshear described the episode as "a barricade situation involving a shooting," in a brief statement on Twitter.

The case will be transferred to Floyd Circuit Court and could become a capital case.

Prior to Chaffins succumbing to his injuries, Prestonsburg Mayor Les Stapleton posted on Facebook that he was "just beginning his career in law enforcement." His young wife and daughter were in the hospital "grieving" for him, he wrote.

"The City of Prestonsburg wishes to thank everyone for the show of support and community outpouring of love. We will hold our fellow employees up with the reverence they deserve," Stapleton wrote in the post.

Since Thursday's shooting, there's been an outpouring of support on social media by the public, police departments and public officials across the state for the officers and first responders involved.

"Please keep the families of these brave officers in your prayers. Our law enforcement exhibited unimaginable heroism and sacrifice last night in the face of evil," Attorney General Daniel Cameron posted on Facebook Friday.

A procession to bring home officers Petry and Frasure from Frankfort was held Friday evening, involving dozens of emergency vehicles from departments across the region.

More than an hour away from Prestonsburg, a flag hung from an overpass with squad cars, ambulances and fire trucks dotting intersections along Mountain Parkway. Families stood at the edge of their driveways, and couples pulled off to the side of the road, waiting to pay their respects.

As the hearse and ambulance carrying the fallen officers approached the city limits, a light mist began to fall and a massive flag attached to cranes hung across the roadway.

The Associated Press and Courier Journal reporter Lucas Aulbach contributed.

Thank you

Comment

They should have taken the extra inch.......now way he should have been taken into custody.....eye for an eye.
            You sir.... are correct...
            Pigs, gotta eat too....

Comment

Agree 100%

Save the taxpayers a lot of money too

Comment

There are three types of people who shouldn't even be taken into custody. People who kill cops,people who kill/hurt kids and mass shooters. That should be an automatic death sentence.

There shouldn't ever be a situation where someone who carries out these acts should even think they're going to be alive afterwards.

Comment

The only energy I would have wasted was pulling the trigger on my gun. Pod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm originally from the area (Eastern Kentucky) and still have family there. Tight-knit communities like this get hit hard during these types of tragedies.

This is why "no-knocks" exist.

Comment

Praying for the familys

Comment

Definitely should have went the extra inch. Today's America will probably cut the guy loose and arrest all the cops involved

Comment

It seems the most violent of offenders are usually involved in domestic violence of some sort. Some people just got uncontrollable rage and it ends up costing another person's life.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                            There are three types of people who shouldn't even be taken into custody. People who kill cops,people who kill/hurt kids and mass shooters. That should be an automatic death sentence.

There shouldn't ever be a situation where someone who carries out these acts should even think they're going to be alive afterwards.
                            People are people. Doesn’t matter if they’re cops, children or bystanders. You’re post doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t elevate any person above any other person.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                              People are people. Doesn’t matter if they’re cops, children or bystanders. You’re post doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t elevate any person above any other person.
                              While I kinda understand what you're saying I don't think Rattler meant it that way. And I'm pretty sure you actually do elevate some people's lives above others...or at least you should IMO.

Case in point....the perp in this case is a TOTAL WASTE OF OXYGEN!! 😡

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                                While I kinda understand what you're saying I don't think Rattler meant it that way. And I'm pretty sure you actually do elevate some people's lives above others...or at least you should IMO.

Case in point....the perp in this case is a TOTAL WASTE OF OXYGEN!! 😡
                                Innocent lives.

Comment

Working...
                                X