Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Backcountry guys, help me decide on a sleep system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backcountry guys, help me decide on a sleep system

Been researching the heck out of sleep systems in anticipation of my elk hunt in Colorado this year. This is all foreign to me, so I have much to learn.

I’m leaning towards a tent as opposed to a bivy or tarp, but could certainly be persuaded one way or the other still.

What are some directions I should look? I plan on hunting late September, but would like a system that I could carry over to November for mule deer hunts. A few that I’m looking at are the new Argali Rincon and the Seek Outside silex. Think a stove jack is a must if I plan on hunting November? Floorless best? Throw any and all thoughts my way including accessories and other must haves.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backpack or out of a truck?

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
      Backpack or out of a truck?

Yep left that off. Backpacking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

From my experience.
        Floorless
        Stovejack (even if you don’t need it in sept, it’s there for later season)
        20deg bag or better (can always unzip). I used Kifaru
        Synthetic bag
        Thermorest pad with the highest R you can afford.

I use a Seek Outside teepee.

Comment

Marine Corps Bivouac (bivy) system personally. Shuck or add bags as needed for protection inside (gortex shell) bivy sack. 17 degrees at GRXH 2022 Friday night, I was snug as a bug in a rug but got a bit warm here and there. Ive slept in the open rain in my bivy sack another two other GRXH years.

I think ultralite backcountry guys go no tent and bivy only. Tyvek house wrap can be an alternative floor system or fly versus a heavy tub or tarp for a tent.

Gigem Ag.
          Last edited by Briar Friar; 03-29-2022, 08:37 PM. Reason: GRXHSpake

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
            From my experience.
            Floorless
            Stovejack (even if you don’t need it in sept, it’s there for later season)
            20deg bag or better (can always unzip). I used Kifaru
            Synthetic bag
            Thermorest pad with the highest R you can afford.

I use a Seek Outside teepee.
            I would be pretty much be typing this exactly. November can very much be a different creature and require more.

Comment

I use a Kifaru Supertarp with annex and stovejack right now, but I'm thinking about selling it. Also using a thermarest Neoair Xtherm (absolutely critical to get a pad with a high R rating if you're going to hunt cold weather), and an enlightened equipment 10 degree quilt.

Don't go with synthetic unless you're hunting the rain forest. Treated down is incredible stuff, and it doesn't degrade in insulation value over the years. Synthetic bags lose loft. Plain and simple. I think it's a kinda silly to go buy a sleeping bag that will lose a third of its loft in a couple years. And to top it all off, down is also lighter than synthetic. Just get a dry sack for your bag, and take good care of it.

Comment

I am by no means an expert, but I’ve made a few hunts. I would not hunt high country CO without a tent and a 20 degree bag/quilt in late September. It has been a while since I’ve researched them, but I’d be looking at Hildeberg tents if I was buying now.

I bought a Kifaru Sawtooth with a stove with the intentions of using it with a partner on future Late September/November hunts in CO. That being said I have not tested it yet.
                Last edited by Hockley; 03-29-2022, 10:23 PM.

Comment

tagged

Comment

I use a mountainsmith 2 man shelter, klymit static v pad, ultralight 0 degree bag from hyke and byke. Works pretty well, but will go with a 20 degree bag next time for Sept hunts.

Comment

I like floorless. Don't set it up in dumb spots and you won't have a problem. Putting in stakes can be a pain if the ground is really rocky.

Buy the best 15ish degree bag that you are willing to buy. Being cold sucks. Not sleeping sucks.

Buy a pad from any of the big brands with a good R value.

I wouldn't worry about a stove jack. You can add one later if desired. We do a fair bit of backpack hunting and I think I have only burned my stove once or twice. It does make it nice while cooking supper or getting up in the morning but also makes for more work. More stuff to setup and tear down. Have to gather wood. I just sleep in my clothes now. Get out of the bag ready to go.

Comment

Mountainsmith 2p mountain shelter, 20 degree Hammock gear quilt, find a sleeping pad with the best r value that is comfortable for you, REI is a good place to try some out. If you want a stove jack option, I believe you can add one to the mountainsmith, but Kuiu makes a similar tent that does come with a stovejack, just 3 times the cost. In September I think you'll find the stove isn't worth the pack weight, you'll be just fine with the above set up. November may be different however. I've never had a problem going floor less, just learn how to set up correctly. You want to keep things a light as possible, the mountainsmith and similar set ups are hard to beat. You want a camp that is easy set up and take down and light so you don't mind keeping it with you all day. Give yourself the option with camp on your back to set up and stay where the elk are. I like my sleep, so being comfortable is a must for me, so I have a packable pillow as well as a sleeping bag liner to put over my pad. I also have a borah bivy I pack with me too. Extremely lightweight and helps keep moisture off my down quilt

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Last year in Southern Idaho Sept and Oct I used a Mountain Hardware Bishop Pass 15 bag and a Sea to Summit Ether Light XT pad. Could've gone lighter on the pad but would've given up some insulation. No issues at all with that system down to 12 degrees and snowing, still very light weight.

Comment

rockslide has a HUGE forum dedicated to this, Lots of good info and opinions.

Comment

I have a seek outside cimmaron with the stove. Did not use the stove early September, but glad to have it. Klymit static v pad and enlightened equipment 20 degree quilt. I toss and turn sleeping and get claustrophobic in a sleeping bag. The quilt was a great change.

Comment

Working...
                              X