How many rounds is enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigL View Post
    Was having this discussion with some friends last night. How many rounds is enough?

For example for my 22lr, I probably have 2000 rounds. 556 probably around 800, for 6.5grendel probably around 500. The rest of my calibers probably 100 or less.

What do y'all think is the comfortable number to have? I'll probably pick up another 400 rounds for my 5.56 but otherwise I think I'm good.
    I try to keep it simple. Minimum of 1K rounds on hand of anything that I don't "plink" with and 2K of anything I do except .22LR which I keep 5K of. I have cut down my caliber list to .45, 9MM, .22LR, 300BO, 5.56, .38sp, .380. I keep of mix of super/sub as I have cans that will work for every caliber.

Comment

Enough that this last ammo shortage didn't bother me a bit

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
        What ammo? I don’t have any guns or ammo.

I only have arrows

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
          All of it.
          This is the correct answer.

Comment

In this day and age with politics and world conflict possible I don't think you can have enough ammunition.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
              Chinese nor the Russians have a mechanism to move a large army here and the Dems are not going to break a nail. I would say if you are mildly prepared you are in pretty good shape.
              I bet you could pack quite a few chinamen into a container ship.
              Probably all kinds of other ground support equipment as well.
              It's not like our government would stop them, or let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                I bet you could pack quite a few chinamen into a container ship.
                Probably all kinds of other ground support equipment as well.
                It's not like our government would stop them, or let us know.
                They better not come in from the South. Fighting from Texas north would be a bad deal....for them. They'd be way better off coming in from California and skipping the Southern States. Hell they can have California as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                  Was having this discussion with some friends last night. How many rounds is enough?

For example for my 22lr, I probably have 2000 rounds. 556 probably around 800, for 6.5grendel probably around 500. The rest of my calibers probably 100 or less.

What do y'all think is the comfortable number to have? I'll probably pick up another 400 rounds for my 5.56 but otherwise I think I'm good.
                  At least 10X that much.....

Comment

For SHTF rounds, mags are just as important.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                      They better not come in from the South. Fighting from Texas north would be a bad deal....for them. They'd be way better off coming in from California and skipping the Southern States. Hell they can have California as far as I'm concerned.
                      Not really, everyone of them is meaner than a rattlesnake, and ready to die.
                      Very little resistance overall imo, other than a few country folk in the rural areas.

Comment

I’ll be the first to admit I have a border line ammo hoarding addiction. I started downsizing on calibers I own so it’s easier to stock up.

Realistically I would think 1k rounds would be plenty for a “battle rifle”. That’s enough to either get you killed or kill invaders and take their guns/ammo

Comment

Might wanna stock up on pellets and bb,s. Be eating grackles if their not fried in a first strike.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                            Enough for what, hunting, target shooting, combat?
                            I assume you mean combat.
                            20k would probably be a good start for 556, 7.62, 9mm, etc..
                            I'm thinking most would be dead way before 1000 rounds.

They gonna be shooting back.

And you're probably gonna be on the move. It ain't gonna be getting up from watching a movie, go to the front door and shoot invaders.

Comment

Lost all my guns and ammo in a boating accident. All I have now is a pea shooter and a pocket full of rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                                I'm thinking most would be dead way before 1000 rounds.

They gonna be shooting back.

And you're probably gonna be on the move. It ain't gonna be getting up from watching a movie, go to the front door and shoot invaders.
                                All my ammo isn't for me, I'm counting on others to help.
                                Maybe they don't have a rifle or ammo.
                                Realistically I'm only going to be able to shoot 1 gun at a time, but I have several more.
                                I also have ammo scattered to hell and back, in many locations.
                                Maybe you have to flee and let whoever have your location, in which case they are going to take anything of use.
                                If I have to leave in a hurry, I won't be worrying about carrying a bunch of heavy ammo, food, clothing, supplies, or a gun for that matter.
                                If I'm gonna plan, I'm not gonna plan for a single skirmish, not gonna plan on being able to re-supply off whoever I was fighting, or plan to have all my eggs in 1 basket.
                                I'm planning to win, however naive that thinking may be.

Comment

Working...
                                X