300 Blackout hunting ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 Blackout hunting ammo

I just ordered a 300 Blackout. It is a rifle, not a “pistol” I was wondering what loads you all are using for deer/pigs. I am going to shoot it suppressed, so I was wondering what factory loads to buy. Is a subsonic load sufficient velocity/energy wise? I am assuming range will be inside 100 yards?

I would think I would need to decide whether to shoot subsonic or normal loads before I sight the rifle in. 1000fps difference seems like it would have a lot of variation.

I have looked at getting one. My son and a friend have them. I don't remember exactly but my impression is that subsonic would need to be kept at around 50 yards to have enough power to do the job. Another issue is having a bullet that will open up and do its job at subsonic speeds.
    If I was hunting I suppressed I would use supersonic ammo.
    Now, if you are going to be fighting an urban battle, suppressed subsonic would be the ticket.

Comment

I would not recommend shooting deer with subsonics, especially at 100yds. There’s really no reason to chance wounding and losing an animal just to be a little quieter or because it sounds cool. There are too many variables with subs that can go wrong.

Now pigs, that’s a different story. Hit em in the earhole within 60-70yds and down they go. Gotta hit em pretty perfect though... I shot one with subs right between the eyes a few months ago at 30yds and it ricocheted right off her forehead.
      Last edited by BobbyJoe; 02-27-2022, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
        Do not shoot deer with subsonics, especially at 100yds. There’s really no reason to chance wounding and losing an animal just to be a little quieter or because it sounds cool. There are too many variables with subs that can go wrong.

Now pigs, that’s a different story. Hit em in the earhole within 60-70yds and down they go. Gotta hit em pretty perfect though... I shot one with subs right between the eyes a few months ago at 30yds and it ricocheted right off her forehead.
        I absolutely love shooting subsonic through my black out. However I agree no way do you shoot deer with this. I’m not even fond of shooting deer with super sonic black out round. Now as for trash animals, pigs, varmints, gar in the water, well now that’s another story.

Comment

If you go with supersonic there are several good rounds. I prefer the Sig HT 120 grain. I've used a bunch of different rounds for pigs or coyotes or whatever, but when its time for my little guy to drop a deer, its the Sig round in the mag.

Comment

I used the Hornady Subs on a pack of pigs, they never knew someone was shooting at them. Now, these were all shots in the ear. I have not tested them on vitals, but suspect they will do fine at 50-75 yards.
            Attached Files

Comment

Remington Hog Hammer. I've shot a bunch of hogs and my buddy and his son have killed several deer with those bullets out of his 300 blackout. Suppressed they won't be very loud at all. They go clear through pigs on broadside shots and expand the way they're supposed to.

Comment

also... depending on your scope and whether or not your reticle has hash marks... you can zero with the supers and then use the hashes for the subs. Best of both worlds.

Comment

If you are shooting factory ammo look for any with the 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX with the black tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thank you all for the recommendations. Sounds like it is a somewhat capable round as a supersonic. I’ll definitely use other guns as my primary rifle, but this may be a good truck gun.

Comment

For Super Sonic I load 125gr Sierra Tipped Gamekings. They do well on pigs, but have not shot a deer with them yet. Will limit my range to 100yds for deer.

Subsonic I load the Hornady 190gr Sub-x bullet that Crash posted. I have shot a deer with that bullet from factory ammo. At about 50ish yards, in the vitals and it did the job. Full penetration and the deer ran about 30-40yds. My buddy used the rifle and popped one in the neck at about 80yds. Dropped in its tracks. I’d limit the subs to about 50yds if taking a vital shot.

Pigs I spray and pray. Doesn’t matter the distance or sub/super. Just trying to get hits on target.

Before I had a dedicated bolt action subsonic 300, I used my AR for both supers and subs. I sighted the rifle in with the supers at 100yds, then shot at 100 and 50 with the subs. Remembered my POI at those ranges and just put a little kentucky windage in to get it right. 50yds was within an inch and a half or so if I remember right.

Comment

I've had a 300BO for 11 years. I bought it for the AR platform, and wanted something that produced a bigger wound channel than .556. I never shot subsonic or suppressed. I shoot a Hornady 125 gr. SST bullet, getting 2230 fps MV out of a 16" barrel.
                        It's a killer with great accuracy, I have a 5R barrel. Since you're going with a suppressor, I wouldn't shoot sub sonics. Go with supers and your rifle will be more versatile, you can kill pigs and deer with it out to 200 yards if you zero at 100 and know your drop. It's by no means my go to deer set up but I have taken some does with it, and it works. I really don't see the gain from a hunting perspective on the additional noise reduction you would get from sub's and a suppressor. You hit the first one and they scatter anyway. If you do go with sub's and a suppressor, your setup would be limited to pigs only, and a lot of you shots wouldn't be drt hits.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase4556 View Post
                          For Super Sonic I load 125gr Sierra Tipped Gamekings. They do well on pigs, but have not shot a deer with them yet. Will limit my range to 100yds for deer.

Subsonic I load the Hornady 190gr Sub-x bullet that Crash posted. I have shot a deer with that bullet from factory ammo. At about 50ish yards, in the vitals and it did the job. Full penetration and the deer ran about 30-40yds. My buddy used the rifle and popped one in the neck at about 80yds. Dropped in its tracks. I’d limit the subs to about 50yds if taking a vital shot.

Pigs I spray and pray. Doesn’t matter the distance or sub/super. Just trying to get hits on target.

Before I had a dedicated bolt action subsonic 300, I used my AR for both supers and subs. I sighted the rifle in with the supers at 100yds, then shot at 100 and 50 with the subs. Remembered my POI at those ranges and just put a little kentucky windage in to get it right. 50yds was within an inch and a half or so if I remember right.
                          Did you have cycling issues going from sub's/supers?

Comment

Barnes 110gr tac-tx is the best killing 300bo bullet in my opinion

Comment

Working...
                            X