Ancestry, 23andme, other DNA tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancestry, 23andme, other DNA tests

Are these home tests accurate? Can someone scam you through these? Anyone take a test and get a "surprise" unknown family member contact you? Asking for a friend.

I’ve found Ancestry to be accurate as far as what my family has always said. A little more English than what I was told but not shocking either. You can also hide your results or make them Public.

Comment

I did it. I'm adopted. Found out I had a sister. Pretty neat stuff

Comment

My dad is adopted. My neice did one of them (I don't know which one). She started getting contacted by people who are related to my dad. Dad has no interest in meeting any of them. But it hasn't been anything bad. We've learned some things about his blood relatives.

Comment

My friend did it and found out he married his half sister so they had to move to Arkansas

Comment

A cousin of mine found out who she thought was her dad, was not. She matched up dna with cousins on her moms side(myself included) but then had a bunch of random cousins that she didn’t know. Did a little digging and found out she had a different dad.

Comment

My hs buddy (still friends) didn't know who is dad was. His mom told him it could be any of these 4 guys. He did it and found out his real dad wasnt any of those 4 guys and turns out lived down the street from him his entire life and actually works for my mother lol. They have a great relationship now.

I took one as well but no surprises. It did locate like a million people I'm related to.

Comment

Heck I don't even want to be related to the ones I know about. Last thing I want is people I don't know contacting me.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
                  My hs buddy (still friends) didn't know who is dad was. His mom told him it could be any of these 4 guys. He did it and found out his real dad wasnt any of those 4 guys and turns out lived down the street from him his entire life and actually works for my mother lol. They have a great relationship now.

I took one as well but no surprises. It did locate like a million people I'm related to.
                  Wow, his mom got around, like a record

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
                    Heck I don't even want to be related to the ones I know about. Last thing I want is people I don't know contacting me.

Comment

Dont do it...long story short my 95 year old great grandmother is being sued because my great granddad had 2 kids on the side who now want their part of mineral rights/inheritance all because my dumb relatives gave up their DNA, you cant get it back

...my great granddad has been dead like 40 years

Comment

Originally posted by Anteloper View Post
                        Dont do it...long story short my 95 year old great grandmother is being sued because my great granddad had 2 kids on the side who now want their part of mineral rights/inheritance all because my dumb relatives gave up their DNA, you cant get it back

Wow. That stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                          My friend did it and found out he married his half sister so they had to move to Arkansas
                          Hahahahahahaha!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anteloper View Post

Great reason to have a will. It's never too early.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                              We would have taken them over here

Comment

Working...
                              X