X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DNTRanch View Post
    heart calcification tests
    calcium CT score test

Ok what are these, do they work, where do you get them done, does insurance cover?? Very curious. My father had a heart attack at about the age I am now, always ask Doc about me and they say well your BP and Cholesterol is OK, (but they do have me on a small dose of something). But I sure would like to know more.
    When I did mine 8 years ago or so it cost a couple hundred out of pocket. Insurance may cover but only if you get your doctor to make a good excuse (I think)..

Now the scan cost who the freak knows how much... That's all the help I can give.

And they work 100% for what they look for which is built up arteries. I'm not a doctor though LOL.

Comment

I just got put on pravastatin, dr told me to take it before bed. First pill was yesterday and i don't notice any pain out of the ordinary.

Comment

I have been on all kinds of cholesterol and triglyceride meds. with no luck on getting my levels down,don't smoke,not over weight,eat good and exercise.About 2 years ago my cardiologist started me on Praulent ,they are stomach injections I give myself each two weeks and it has worked almost to good, if cholesterol gets any lower I'm going to have to get a prescription for Cholesterol.

Comment

A lot of misconceptions about what eating “good” means as well. Your fasting insulin levels will tell the tale of you’re really eating good or not.

Comment

Oatmeal every morning fixed me up

Comment

Originally posted by DNTRanch View Post
              heart calcification tests
              calcium CT score test

Ok what are these, do they work, where do you get them done, does insurance cover?? Very curious. My father had a heart attack at about the age I am now, always ask Doc about me and they say well your BP and Cholesterol is OK, (but they do have me on a small dose of something). But I sure would like to know more.
              my local hospital charges $75 if you pay cash.

Comment

Sir, I’ll put my blood numbers up against anyone on the forum. Whenever I get my bi-annual checkup at the VA or on the Military base (retired), the doctors are extremely interested in how I got my cholesterol upside down (LDL lower than HDL) and triglycerides so low.

I made two changes years ago. I stopped eating night shade vegetables and beets like Tom Brady the quarterback and I consume 4 tablespoons per day of good Avocado oil. Nightshades for some genetic types can cause soft tissue calcium deposits especially in veins and arteries. They also contain neuro toxins and nicotine.

Goodluck with your quest.
                Last edited by Johnny44; 02-06-2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                  my local hospital charges $75 if you pay cash.
                  Yeah same here in Tyler, Tx. $75 cash out of pocket. It’s basically a CT scan & then they do a scoring on the calcium buildup around major arteries of the heart. Basically making sure the long term effects of higher HDL levels aren’t starting to cause buildup that can restrict blood flow in & out of the heart & hence turn into possible cardiac issues as you age. At least that’s my interpretation

Comment

Some of the longest lived folk on the planet have high cholesterol so there is more to the story.

Oatmeal and Metamucil make a diff too

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
                      So much misinformation. LDL-C does not define risk. You need an accurate particle count and look at Trig/HDL ratio. The absolute biggest risk factor for heart disease is your level of insulin resistance. The vast majority of primary care docs have no idea what they are doing and are not current with the literature. It blows my mind how uninformed “smart” people entrusted to care for people are.

All that being said, I’m sure there are a lot of people here that **** sure need to be on a statin. If you wanna know how much damage has been done, have your PCP refer you out to get a coronary CT calcium scan.
                      This^

I've been looking into all of this over the last couple months. I'm certainly no expert, but there is a lot of research out there these days that makes a pretty compelling argument that the hysteria over cholesterol is very misguided. Also lots of research that statins are WAY overprescribed at best and may do more harm than good at worst.

Here are some of the presentations I've watched so far that I found 8interesting....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                        I’ve taken Lipitor/Atorvistatin for probably a year. Never had any side effects.
                        Wish I could say that.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                          Sir, I’ll put my blood numbers up against anyone on the forum. Whenever I get my bi-annual checkup at the VA or on the Military base (retired), the doctors are extremely interested in how I got my cholesterol upside down (LDL lower than HDL) and triglycerides so low.

I made two changes years ago. I stopped eating night shade vegetables and beets like Tom Brady the quarterback and I consume 4 tablespoons per day of good Avocado oil. Nightshades for some genetic types can cause soft tissue calcium deposits especially in veins and arteries. They also contain neuro toxins and nicotine.

Goodluck with your quest.
                          What the heck is a Nightshade vegetable?

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
                            So much misinformation. LDL-C does not define risk. You need an accurate particle count and look at Trig/HDL ratio. The absolute biggest risk factor for heart disease is your level of insulin resistance. The vast majority of primary care docs have no idea what they are doing and are not current with the literature. It blows my mind how uninformed “smart” people entrusted to care for people are.

All that being said, I’m sure there are a lot of people here that **** sure need to be on a statin. If you wanna know how much damage has been done, have your PCP refer you out to get a coronary CT calcium scan.
                            Are you in Houston?After reading your post on here I need to stop going to the Medical Center each 6 months and come see you.

Comment

I want to hear some results from the guys who were doing Non Prescription medication last year...did your levels decrease?

Johnny44...I will research some of that info.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebyrge View Post
                                I don't know how serious you are with your diet I but lowered mine from 178 to 143 in four months following the Pritican diet...basically low fat. Also lost 35#'s and I'm down to my jr in high school weight.

Doc is giving me 6 more months to get my HDL into the 50's and said if I do he won't recommend medication.
                                Didn’t realize this thread was old. The Pritikin Program is a good one and I think it’s just a coincidence the author killed himself.

The easiest things to do are eat oatmeal for breakfast , cut out carbonated drinks, say goodbye to sweet tea and only eat whole grain breads ( or whatever they are called).
                                I like the Quaker instant raisin dates and walnut with a couple of spoonfuls of regular oats thrown in. No sugar, milk, cream or other mixed in. You’ll lose lots of weight and your number will improve.

I’m doing it now. Good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X