Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 04-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #1
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas
Default What to buy? 6.5 CRM?

Not really sure what i need , as I 've always hunted with my trusty 30/30 but as of late have got the itch to try something with a little more long range..
can I ask for suggestion?

Thanks

David G
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #2
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

uhhhh, you're gonna have to give us SOME kind of criteria lol.
edit: Without any info I'm gonna say 28 Nosler or maybe 257 Wby Mag or 6.5 PRC.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #3
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Just say screw it and get a 6.5-300
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 01:00 PM   #4
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Anything that doesn't have a belted case.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #5
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

For deer and hogs I'd say the .270WSM is a pretty good one. Long range and not terrible recoil.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #6
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
droool.... I retract everything I said previously, do this OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
For deer and hogs I'd say the .270WSM is a pretty good one. Long range and not terrible recoil.
I had a 270 WSM and really loved that thing, regret selling it.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #7
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

30 Nosler?
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #8
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

If you are hunting open lands then 6.5 is fine. Heavy timber and brush you want a more stable robust bullet. By that I mean one that will crash thru small limbs and weeds and not start to tumble. Long skinny bullets that are more bottom weighted don't like to have their flight path disrupted. Now if'n you are recoil sensitive you might want one dem girly boy guns
Old 04-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #9
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
droool.... I retract everything I said previously, do this OP.

I had a 270 WSM and really loved that thing, regret selling it.
Shot my first deer with one when I was 13. Doe at 275 yards. Just put her in the crosshairs and squeezed the trigger. To me at that time what I had just done was easy and that's how it was. Later on in life I realized how flat shootin that cartridge really is.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #10
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Shot my first deer with one when I was 13. Doe at 275 yards. Just put her in the crosshairs and squeezed the trigger. To me at that time what I had just done was easy and that's how it was. Later on in life I realized how flat shootin that cartridge really is.
Last animals I shot with mine were Antelope. That season it slayed a doe just over 500, doe at 470 and change, and the buck was in the low 300's. All one shot kills in the vitals. That round is just beautiful.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #11
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks

give more, info? man if i knew what the heck i needed or wanted, i would not have put it out there, knowing i would get responses like this

Thanks for your input,,, i value it ...
Old 04-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #12
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
Not really sure what i need , as I 've always hunted with my trusty 30/30 but as of late have got the itch to try something with a little more long range..

Thanks

David G

Iíve been shooting a 270 wsm for about 9 years and really like it. Ammo is fairly easy to find and everything I aim at is drt.
CoolHandLuke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 02:24 PM   #13
trophy8
Pope & Young

Apparently 300 blk will kill literally anything up to and including the big 5. Maybe look at that.

trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 03:18 PM   #14
PlanoDano
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, ID, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Anything that doesn't have a belted case.
Please expound. I would like to hear your reasoning here.

Last edited by PlanoDano; 04-28-2021 at 03:31 PM.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 03:25 PM   #15
c3products20
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
Iíve been shooting a 270 wsm for about 9 years and really like it. Ammo is fairly easy to find and everything I aim at is drt.
Same here. My 8 year old shot a nice 9 point with my 270 WSM last year. Straight to the dirt, didn't take a step.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
c3products20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 03:30 PM   #16
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Brown Co.

Regardless what you hunt ‘round here, hard to beat a .270
Cheap ammo too
Spend more money and research on scope and less on caliber.
Savage or Ruger.
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 03:38 PM   #17
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

I bought a Tikka CTR in 6.5 last August simply because of ammo availability. I didn't understand the whole infatuation that people had with that caliber. All, I can tell you is that it is my go-to rifle now. It is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot (my customs included) and I have not had a single animal take a step....roughly 40 hogs and 2 deer.

The Manbun is just an inherently accurate cartridge and it kills good. It's not he Holy Grail but I regret not buying one sooner.
175gr7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 06:18 PM   #18
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoDano View Post
Please expound. I would like to hear your reasoning here.
Since I reload most all of what I shoot, I don't like the head space changing every time the round is fired. On new ammo the cartridge head spaces off the belt. After it's fired the case stretches and then the head spacing is off the shoulder. After a while if you don't bump the shoulder back to the point where it head spaces off the belt again then eventually the cases get tight when closing the bolt. I've had to bump some cases back as much as .005 to get back to spec depending on the gun. Working the brass that much by bumping the shoulder back every reload weakens the case and you cannot or should not use it anymore. You know its done when the case head starts to separate. To me it's too expensive not being able to reload cases 10 to 12 times. Not saying that belted calibers are not accurate, just that I don't get as much use out of the cases and reloading is much trickier and time consuming.
The only belted caliber I have now is a 338 win mag Browning x-bolt and one deez days somebody else will own it and all the ammo I have loaded for it.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:30 PM   #19
PlanoDano
Eight Point

Quote:
Since I reload most all of what I shoot, I don't like the head space changing every time the round is fired. On new ammo the cartridge head spaces off the belt. After it's fired the case stretches and then the head spacing is off the shoulder. After a while if you don't bump the shoulder back to the point where it head spaces off the belt again then eventually the cases get tight when closing the bolt. I've had to bump some cases back as much as .005 to get back to spec depending on the gun. Working the brass that much by bumping the shoulder back every reload weakens the case and you cannot or should not use it anymore. You know its done when the case head starts to separate. To me it's too expensive not being able to reload cases 10 to 12 times. Not saying that belted calibers are not accurate, just that I don't get as much use out of the cases and reloading is much trickier and time consuming.
The only belted caliber I have now is a 338 win mag Browning x-bolt and one deez days somebody else will own it and all the ammo I have loaded for it.
Thanks,
I have been thinning the number of cartridges I am keeping this year.
7 RMG is one I had planned on keeping. Still probably will keep it as I do not practice a lot with that round.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:56 PM   #20
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Quote:

Dang brother, you want 10-12 reloadings out of a magnum case? I throw my 308 and 223 away after 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 04:40 AM   #21
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Thanks for all the info.. perhaps 270 is something to look at..

David G
Old 04-29-2021, 06:02 AM   #22
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Any of them WSM's are good. I have a 7mm wsm, 300wsm and my favorite of all time and my go to rifle for killing stuff is my custom built 338wsm built on a Browning A-bolt. I killed a buck with the 7mm wsm at 435 yards dropped in his tracks.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:04 AM   #23
kkp005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County

I’d go with the plain ol 308. Ammo is still fairly easy to find if you look hard enough. If you’ve been killing stuff just fine with the 30/30 then i would imagine the 308 will get you out as far as you’re comfortable shooting
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 06:07 AM   #24
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Gracias.....
Old 04-29-2021, 06:41 AM   #25
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Are you wanting to kill at longer distances or are you just wanting to bang steel? Banging steel I’d choose a 6 Creedmoor, but I wouldn’t have any reservations killing with it at distance either IF you’re capable of good shot placement. I’ve shot a handful of does with a 6 Creed and 6x47 Lapua from 318-598 yds, and none have made it more than a few steps. The 598 made it about 15 to be exact. The rest were DRT with 4 being around 450 yds. IMO the 6.5 Creedmoor is just too dam slow. I don’t care for it, although it is a great cartridge to learn on. Ammo quality has been excellent for a good price (until this year anyways). It’s been extremely consistent which is what’s necessary to learn distance shooting. If your ammo isn’t consistent you won’t know whether you’re shooting like crap or the rifle is, and it’s hard to fix an issue if you don’t know the cause.

And don’t let anyone talk crap about shooting a small caliber. If they can’t get it done with a smaller caliber that’s on them.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 06:47 AM   #26
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

now i am learning some good stuff, and they say you can't teach an ol'dog!
Old 04-29-2021, 07:26 AM   #27
TCB
Ten Point

Your looking at this backwards.....see what ammo you can find, buy it and then go find the rifle in that caliber you like.
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #28
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Maverick County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
Dang brother, you want 10-12 reloadings out of a magnum case? I throw my 308 and 223 away after 4.

Iím on 20+ firings out of my 6BR and straight 284. AMP annealer so itís quite an investment but well worth it.
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 09:10 AM   #29
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kck View Post
Iím on 20+ firings out of my 6BR and straight 284. AMP annealer so itís quite an investment but well worth it.
I been using a tray of water and a burns-o-matic for years. Kinda old school way but it's cheep. I also start with new Starline brass if I can find it in my caliber.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:19 AM   #30
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post
Your looking at this backwards.....see what ammo you can find, buy it and then go find the rifle in that caliber you like.
so very true, i did that with the 6.5, but nada, now after reading the differences between the 25-06 , 6.5 and 270
i am looking at the 25-06 as i am not looking for shooting over 280 yards, so i would be good with the 25-06 but as you say the AMMO is the kicker as well
Old 04-29-2021, 09:19 AM   #31
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

My thoughts are, if you have been shooting a 30-30 most of your life, I don't see you suddenly going from probably a 150 yard max to a 800-1000 max range for a hunting rifle. I am going to be 300 yards will be a very long shot for you, maybe 400 yards. Just my guess. At those ranges, most bottle neck case, center fire rifles, will work at those ranges. A 6.5 Creedmoor would work great, 308, 30-06, 270, 6.5X55 Swede, 257 Roberts, 7mm-08. You could step up to a magnum caliber, if you thought you would likely shoot farther than I am guessing, even though the first calibers I listed are good for longer ranges than 400 yards. But a magnum caliber will kill better at all ranges, and or if you plan on hunting larger game, a magnum caliber would be a better choice.

Right now, picking a caliber you can find ammo for or bullets, brass, powder and primers for, might be the primary factor, in picking a caliber. Right now 6.5mm bullets are almost impossible to find, if you reload. When I am searching for bullets lately, the majority of the bullets I find are 6mm or 338 caliber.

I would spend some time, thinking about what you want to use the rifle for, then do some reading and figure out what calibers should work good for that purpose. Then search for ammo for the calibers you come up with and then make a decision. The calibers that used to be on all shelves all the time, 30 years ago, are probably not what was commonly on shelves 3 years ago. Right now, the stuff, that was not common 30 years ago, is probably the only thing you will find now days. I find more uncommon caliber ammo, than anything else for the last year. I have seen 300 Savage, 7mm RUM, 300 RUM, and multiple other calibers, I have not seen ammo for in years. Then many older calibers, such as 38-55, and 32-20.

Whatever you do, search for ammo, before making a decision. You might wind up with a gun, you can't get ammo for nor can you load ammo for. Also, I have found dies for many calibers are very hard to find. Some calibers if you find them, they will want a lot for them. I never figured I would ever load 380 ACP, but I have bought most all the pieces to do so. At this point 380 ACP, has been the most expensive caliber for me to get set up to load and I still don't have all the pieces I need. Things are just flat nuts right now. I have found more sets of 300 Weatherby, then for cheaper prices than the 380. I bought some 300 Weatherby dies for $45 shipped, they are some nice RCBS dies. I have seen at least four other sets of 300 Weatherby dies, but the all sold before I found them, that or the guy who had them would not ship them. When looking for 380 dies, if they were $80 or less, they were sold before I found them. I found numerous adds, that listed 380 dies, but they were sold before I found them. The only 380 dies I have found available for sale, either from an individual or a company, were $140 to $180 a set. For a few weeks the only 380 dies I could find in stock were some match dies for $178. Who buys match dies for a 380?

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-29-2021 at 09:24 AM.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 09:28 AM   #32
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Maverick County

Yessir, once youíve got your timing and heat setup down pat itíll dang sure work for ya. I started out with that torch and some 750 and 800 degree Tempilac and never really had any issues but man does that AMP make it nice!

OP, get ya a 6.5X284 (Lapua brass) or a 280ai if you wanna go the 7mm route and call it a day.

And, for the record, belted cases are ugly...
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 11:17 AM   #33
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
so very true, i did that with the 6.5, but nada, now after reading the differences between the 25-06 , 6.5 and 270
i am looking at the 25-06 as i am not looking for shooting over 280 yards, so i would be good with the 25-06 but as you say the AMMO is the kicker as well
25-06 is awesome. That TC Venture 308 you posted on in the classifieds will serve you very well too. My wife and youngest son both shoot 308 and we're all fans of it. Kiddo has killed out to 279 yards with his and I wouldn't hesitate to stretch it out more with his setup and experience if needed.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #34
Balcones_Walker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

It's funny if you graphed all the cartridges on this thread in terms of energy, caliber, and recoil, one would be sitting there right in the middle: 6.5 Creedmoor.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 01:02 PM   #35
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
25-06 is awesome. That TC Venture 308 you posted on in the classifieds will serve you very well too. My wife and youngest son both shoot 308 and we're all fans of it. Kiddo has killed out to 279 yards with his and I wouldn't hesitate to stretch it out more with his setup and experience if needed.
i am thinking the same thing , as i said before, not looking to get into the Long Range Sport,, under 300 is fine
Old 04-29-2021, 01:06 PM   #36
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
It's funny if you graphed all the cartridges on this thread in terms of energy, caliber, and recoil, one would be sitting there right in the middle: 6.5 Creedmoor.

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/25...edmoor-vs-270/

This is what I used to figure out that I could be content with the 25-06

Old 04-29-2021, 01:21 PM   #37
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

25-06 is certainly a good one for those that may be recoil sensitive. One of the most gentle of the long action calibers. Might even be considered one dem girly man calibers
It will get the job done especially on varmints.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:19 PM   #38
PlanoDano
Eight Point

Quote:
https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/25...edmoor-vs-270/

This is what I used to figure out that I could be content with the 25-06

I did not notice on this ammo shortage because I did not have to shop a lot this time around, but I did notice that 25-06 was available during the last ammo shortage. Getting the job done with less recoil is a positive not a negative.
It is not the cartridge I would have selected as I prefer short action in that performance range but I know several good hunters that use it. I have been reducing cartridges I keep this year and kept 7mm-08 in that range mainly because I have a rifle in that cartridge I really like.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:30 PM   #39
chrisk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
Very good choice
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 08:43 PM   #40
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

I was in your same boat. Did, and still do, hunt with 30-30, but I bought a 6.5 CM last year mainly for the threaded barrel. The 6.5 will kill them close or far away.
Moderate recoil, long lasting barrel, super accurate, and pushing about the same weight bullet as the 30-30.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 03:59 PM   #41
db@100
Ten Point

.280 Rem.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #42
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
Iíd go with the plain ol 308. Ammo is still fairly easy to find if you look hard enough. If youíve been killing stuff just fine with the 30/30 then i would imagine the 308 will get you out as far as youíre comfortable shooting

Yep. More and more I grab my ole plain vanilla 308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 07:55 PM   #43
xman59
Pope & Young

7mm08
30-06
270 win
280 remington
25-06

all great rounds an capable of reaching out a lot farther than most folks should be shooting
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #44
txhunt7
Eight Point

There's been a lot of 270 WSM availability, I need to review the ballistics.
I have a 270 and 6.5. Love both, both kill anything in Texas.
The 6.5 shoots like a 22 suppressed, plan to get the 270 barrel threaded.
I like the 6.5 CR because ammo availablity. I know I can get more out of the 6.8 or the PRC but its good enough and the ammo is nice and plentiful.
txhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 11:42 PM   #45
BonesandArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Deep South TX - Starr County

Entertainment bump
BonesandArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 04:45 PM   #46
futureagg
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crockett

For 6.5CM the bergara HMR is very good entry level long range rifle. I started with it and even shot some competitions with it.

futureagg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #47
Spino~
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb County

David G.,

If your looking to extend out past your 30-30 range, then I would recommend the 6.5PRC or the 270, 270WSM, I've had them and they are all calibers that I can aim dead on to the 300yrd mark. It depends on your maximum point blank range (Max range your comfortable shooting). Good luck man, a good tough question to answer though as others have also posted their opinions.
Spino~ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 03:43 PM   #48
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

If it starts with a 6 and ends with a CM, keep looking! LOL

What does the OP intend to hunt with it? If all he is going to hunt is deer and hogs down in Texas then I would recommend the old boring 243 Win. It all depends on what you are going to do with it, if you reload etc.

If your intention is to also hunt elk size game as well, it would be hard to beat the 280 AI or 264 Win Mag.
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 04:38 PM   #49
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

When I was a young man the 243 was a hot cartridge, kind of like what the 6.5 is today.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 08:13 PM   #50
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:

Thanks

David G

So you have been killing x with 3030, now you want to kill x a bit further. If that is correct, a 6.5 cm will be just fine
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top