Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba
Default Lost ways

On several different threads I've seen a pattern of lost ways. If you notice something add it to this thread. I know a lot of us older people still do these things. It just feels like most don't anymore.

1. Burnadell was just talking about people not reading the newspaper. Seems like the vast majority do not keep up with what's going on. Not caring if taxes are raised or who's running for office. Have more people given up?

2. The art of capitalism. I know people joke with the word boycott a lot..But on similar lines did most people give up either shopping around for the best price or not buying an item because it was a rip off? Seems like people just buy what they want, when they want it, at any price.

I was taught in school long ago that's exactly how to keep prices down. That's how companies/products get straightened out and better. Seems like dang near everyone has a "it is what it is" attitude these days. No?

3. Can't complain if you don't vote. Why do a ton of people say this but then not understand point #2?

4. Thinking. I met a lady to sign paperwork. Since I don't wear a mask she made us stand outside the door. So instead of inside where we'd be 5-8' apart working across a big desk with a mask on, we literally stood 1-2' apart (I was outside, she was inside) with door wide open with no masks. She handed us papers/pen, we signed and handed back (some papers twice)... When we were done I tried to hand her a pen back and she jumped like a rattlesnake almost got her. YOU keep that pen she said LOL I wasn't rude or nothing but holy mother of stupid. I walked away in disbelief.

On the bright side I drove around this morning checking out some yard sales Most people running them were not scared. And the crowds were down. I guess many scared still hiding at home.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #2
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I don't think it's a matter of not caring. We just realize we no longer have real representation at the Capitol and they are going to take what they want no matter what we say. No good candidates anymore.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 06:23 PM   #3
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

I had a fishing event this morning. There were almost 400 people there. I could count on one hand, the folks who had masks on.

What that means and how it relates to this thread...I have no idea.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

I’ve said it before and I’ll repeat: No politician or party is going to turn back the clock in this country. We will be a third world country in a few years. Case in point, look how long it took Biden to erase the good things Trump did on the border. Now we have illegals flooding Texas, people who come from a third world country. They’re gonna be right at home here.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 06:26 PM   #5
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

1. Is a newspaper any better?
Also with todayís technology, a newspaper seems obsolete.

2. I still shop for the best price on anything. If I donít like the price, I donít buy it.

3. I try to vote every election. I like to complain!!!

4. You canít fix stupid!!
sqiggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #6
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

No many people read the paper, but print news any less slanted than tv or web.

I’ve voted in every election I was eligible too. But after the mess this last cycle I don’t believe it matters anymore, we are going to get the government they give us
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #7
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Iíve said it before and Iíll repeat: No politician or party is going to turn back the clock in this country. We will be a third world country in a few years. Case in point, look how long it took Biden to erase the good things Trump did on the border. Now we have illegals flooding Texas, people who come from a third world country. Theyíre gonna be right at home here.
Your right, sad to see whatís happening to our Country.
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 07:03 PM   #8
SabineHunter
Ten Point

Calling out liars
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 07:11 PM   #9
eradicator
Pope & Young

I stopped getting the Star Telegram a couple of years ago. It went from a nice publication to something you couldn't even smack your dogs nose with.
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 07:43 PM   #10
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
I had a fishing event this morning. There were almost 400 people there. I could count on one hand, the folks who had masks on.

What that means and how it relates to this thread...I have no idea.
It means there are pockets of non-brainwashed people. Good to hear.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 08:15 PM   #11
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
I stopped getting the Star Telegram a couple of years ago. It went from a nice publication to something you couldn't even smack your dogs nose with.
FWST is an absolute joke and embarrassment to journalists. It's great writers of days gone by must be rolling over in their graves.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2021, 08:36 PM   #12
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
On several different threads I've seen a pattern of lost ways. If you notice something add it to this thread. I know a lot of us older people still do these things. It just feels like most don't anymore.

1. Burnadell was just talking about people not reading the newspaper. Seems like the vast majority do not keep up with what's going on. Not caring if taxes are raised or who's running for office. Have more people given up?

2. The art of capitalism. I know people joke with the word boycott a lot..But on similar lines did most people give up either shopping around for the best price or not buying an item because it was a rip off? Seems like people just buy what they want, when they want it, at any price.

I was taught in school long ago that's exactly how to keep prices down. That's how companies/products get straightened out and better. Seems like dang near everyone has a "it is what it is" attitude these days. No?

3. Can't complain if you don't vote. Why do a ton of people say this but then not understand point #2?

4. Thinking. I met a lady to sign paperwork. Since I don't wear a mask she made us stand outside the door. So instead of inside where we'd be 5-8' apart working across a big desk with a mask on, we literally stood 1-2' apart (I was outside, she was inside) with door wide open with no masks. She handed us papers/pen, we signed and handed back (some papers twice)... When we were done I tried to hand her a pen back and she jumped like a rattlesnake almost got her. YOU keep that pen she said LOL I wasn't rude or nothing but holy mother of stupid. I walked away in disbelief.

On the bright side I drove around this morning checking out some yard sales Most people running them were not scared. And the crowds were down. I guess many scared still hiding at home.
Youíre not older by the way 😉
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 05:01 AM   #13
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Integrity is a lost way.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 05:39 AM   #14
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Communicating with other people using your voice. Meaning; my children who are all adults will avoid making a phone call unless it is an absolute last resort with no other option.

If they need purchase something online, and need to talk to someone about it, online chat better be available or they aren't doing it. Same goes for making a doctor appointment, ordering food, or even speaking to siblings/relatives.

It's sad really how with the advancement of technology, the basic skill of verbal communication has been dealt a death blow, and will for too soon become a thing of the past. Critical thinking is following closely behind.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 05:56 AM   #15
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
I don't think it's a matter of not caring. We just realize we no longer have real representation at the Capitol and they are going to take what they want no matter what we say. No good candidates anymore.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Agree 100%. I still vote, but honestly in the back of my head I wonder, does this even matter anymore? Is this election already been predetermined? Am I just going through the movements of a good little capitalist sheep and doing my due diligence in something that has already been determined?
LlanoHunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 06:34 AM   #16
Texas452
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burleson Coleman Leon counties

The midterms coming up may be the first election in decades that I won’t vote.
Most news papers are a bunch of lies (propaganda) I don’t read them.
I make the best deals I can.
I voice my opinion but most people agree with me (it’s almost impossible to find a biden voter)
I don’t get stimulus money.
I don’t trust politicians (the left has always had to lie about what they want to do but not anymore they can do what they want now and the right has become just as corrupt)
I will never vote for John Cornyn again no matter what!
Texas452 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 06:42 AM   #17
Kossetx
Ten Point

If your a little older you probably grew up wanting or were the child of people who were wanting. Things didn't come easy. For the majority nowadays it all comes too easy. When your given everything you don't value anything.
Kossetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 06:52 AM   #18
sp-bow
Eight Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

Most newspapers are liberal garbage.

Support local business

Vote every election

Cant fix stupid
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #19
Bucknaked
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

If I had a problem with a product purchased right here in the Great ole USofA , I spoke with a representative Right here in the USofA- not some one in a call center in India ...! Sure miss those days!
Bucknaked is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 08:12 AM   #20
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
Communicating with other people using your voice. Meaning; my children who are all adults will avoid making a phone call unless it is an absolute last resort with no other option.

If they need purchase something online, and need to talk to someone about it, online chat better be available or they aren't doing it. Same goes for making a doctor appointment, ordering food, or even speaking to siblings/relatives.

It's sad really how with the advancement of technology, the basic skill of verbal communication has been dealt a death blow, and will for too soon become a thing of the past. Critical thinking is following closely behind.
This is a big problem, it amazes me how many people donít want to talk to another person, itís a text or email. Twitter is a prime example of how hateful people can be. I bet 99% of those hateful words would never be spoken face to face. If you take visual emotion and body language out of the conversation itís a lot easier to be a tough guy. Social media isnít so social
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 08:13 AM   #21
Bucknaked
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Brown View Post
This is a big problem, it amazes me how many people donít want to talk to another person, itís a text or email. Twitter is a prime example of how hateful people can be. I bet 99% of those hateful words would never be spoken face to face. If you take visual emotion and body language out of the conversation itís a lot easier to be a tough guy. Social media isnít so social
Amen!
Bucknaked is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 08:21 AM   #22
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp-bow View Post
Most newspapers are liberal garbage.

Support local business

Vote every election

Cant fix stupid
This!
Quit taking paper after 30+ years when they endorsed that POS Obummer.j
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 08:32 AM   #23
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Most newspapers are a small business, and support local.

Shopping around and not pressing send on Amazon is a lost art. I do my best to find it local first. I do this so hopefully my neighbor keeps their job.

I stay away from self check out. I like the conversation with the employee. Gives me a chance to hopefully leave someone with a smile.

If I buy a vehicle, atv, or boat I buy local. Not 7 counties away. The local dealerships sponsor FFA, 4H, Baseball, Little league of any sort. The support graduating seniors in scholarship funds and other expenses. When the district can not afford to send a group of kids to an event they would like to go to, local business sends them. Read this paragraph one more time.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 08:50 AM   #24
txhunt7
Eight Point

#1, people don't care because they're woke in the wrong way. I know good people that are uneducated in politics and don't care. They're just not hungry enough yet. Some get irritated when discussing, I think they may know and intentionally put on blinders to deal with it. I'm assuming your comment on newspapers was symbolic and referred to news source in general.

#2, the term Boycott has a bad conatation, I just call it staying away. I DO believe in exercising my stay away vote, this is the USA. If I don't like the fact target store lets men in womens bathrooms, it's my right to stay away. I paid a premium for some ammo but at a certain point I stopped. For example I will pay 40.00 for a box of ELDX up from 26 to 32.00,.00 but will not pay 45.

If every American who voted for Trump would excercise this right, we'd be in a better place. We could change the market, the US, money talks and BS walks

while things look grim, we shouldn't give in. I still think there's enough around to grab the helm and turn this ship around
txhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 08:53 AM   #25
mark1j
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post

Regarding #4; We sat down at a restaurant for supper and we watched a lady pull her own spray bottle out of her purse and started spraying the air around her. She did it multiple times while we were there. I still do not know what she was trying to accomplish.
mark1j is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 08:58 AM   #26
jmac24
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

newspapers have become a running joke. I stopped reading the Houston Chronicle years ago. Just another liberal rag where all of the liberals agree with one another to boost their self esteem.
jmac24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #27
Montec man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx P.S. Theres no deer in Hare

Self sufficiency is becoming a "lost way". Pretty much convinced if the grocery stores closed for a few days, most would have no clue how to feed themselves or what to do. Society has grown very, weak and spoiled.
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 01:28 PM   #28
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montec man View Post
Self sufficiency is becoming a "lost way". Pretty much convinced if the grocery stores closed for a few days, most would have no clue how to feed themselves or what to do. Society has grown very, weak and spoiled.
We saw that all last year.... Sad for sure
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #29
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Quote:
This is the most important of all, and also the most neglected imo.
If we ever get there, gonna be bad for a bunch of em.
"Only the Strong".
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 05:22 PM   #30
huntandfishguy6
Eight Point

Make a plan, then make extra plans, and preps. It's the only way to survive.
huntandfishguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 10:47 PM   #31
Draco
Pope & Young

Quote:
Read an article last year that said if we lost electricity for a year that 90% of the population would die.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:03 PM   #32
txhunt7
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
Read an article last year that said if we lost electricity for a year that 90% of the population would die.
imagine sometime starting about week 2 to week 4, people would start pouring out of the cities into the country side to rummage for survival.
txhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #33
Roman AB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:

My **** wife is the same way. People will literally text you asking very serious questions and expressing important things then get mad when you didnt reply fast enough. If its that important make the **** phone call.

I have started making my 6 and 9 yo kids order all there food and make there own requests when we go out.
Roman AB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 09:35 AM   #34
rolylane6
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wise county

Quote:

We slowly removed face to face and verbal communication from society and now when we do speak face to face, we wear a mask so that it's a robotic conversation, void of any type of expression or emotion.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #35
BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Have bow will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunt7 View Post
imagine sometime starting about week 2 to week 4, people would start pouring out of the cities into the country side to rummage for survival.
And about the same time a lot of bodies would start stacking up due to protecting their own. It wouldn't take long for word to get out and that is when you would see the biggest of the fighting.
When the communities that are able to fend for themselves band together to keep those that can't fend for themselves from stealing and looting. It will not be pretty.
BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 10:11 AM   #36
DallasCoon12
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Mťxico

Americas done. Stick a fork in her
DallasCoon12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top