Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-18-2021, 07:52 AM   #1
Geraldg6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Snook, Texas
Default Expensive camo vs inexpensive camo

Going on an elk hunt in September and have been shopping for camo for this trip. What Iíve noticed (I have seen threads on it here) is that you have really expensive camo that has great reviews and then you inexpensive stuff with mixed reviews.

What does the green screen think about the Sitka, Kuiu, and first lite line ups vs cabelas,nomads, and others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geraldg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Buy something tough. I like jeans made for bird hunting with guards. Spend your money on footwear (light) and glass. Just my experience
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #3
skooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Canadian & McIntosh Co OK

Second that. Footwear and glass is extremely important. Iíve been close to elk in brown jeans and camo tops. It is important to have a good layering system though, especially if you will be covering a lot of ground. Good luck and have fun.

Skooter

skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 08:08 AM   #4
Smokeater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree

Quality breathable layers under whatever camo you have. Prices on some of that stuff is silly!
Smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 08:12 AM   #5
CB_TxNole
Eight Point

Hunt In: Water Valley

Cabelas (I think) had some stuff that looked like the Kuiu stuff last year. Really good price.

My grandpa got it done 3 times wearing some just old West Texas camo. Layers and as others have said footwear are probably more important than paying top price for some camo.
CB_TxNole is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 08:16 AM   #6
Geraldg6
Ten Point

I have a pair of danner vitals that I love. Iíll be hunting a week. Do you think they will hold up? Iím sure they will. Those boots are hands down the most comfortable boots Iíve worn.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:23 AM   #7
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Is like every other clothing, there's a budget line, an affordable line, and the outrageous line. Cabela's make good stuff but sometimes its over-priced.
I've purchased a couple items from KUIU and its good stuff but its way over-priced. Sitka is even higher.
Like others have said, concentrate on your feet in good socks and good boots.
You can layer just about anything and get the comfort you want upper body.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 08:27 AM   #8
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Happy feet, happy life... Other than that just normal cold weather clothes, quit wearing camo years ago.
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #9
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

Ditto the footwear and glass comments as being the most important.

Camo patterns are nothing but marketing, it doesn't matter what tue pattern looks like. What matters is the material. You want good moisture wicking material you can then layer for the different temperatures you will experience in the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #10
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

Footwear is the key. A good pair of Salomon boots does wonders. I purchased a lot of Kings camo and have loved it for both pattern, comfort, cost, and durability.

TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 09:34 AM   #11
Geraldg6
Ten Point

So what company has the best technology?

Old 04-18-2021, 11:13 AM   #12
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
Ditto the footwear and glass comments as being the most important.

Camo patterns are nothing but marketing, it doesn't matter what tue pattern looks like. What matters is the material. You want good moisture wicking material you can then layer for the different temperatures you will experience in the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This. Patterns donít matter. Itís all about comfort. Materials that donít wick as well can get uncomfortable quick. Materials that take on moisture anytime you brush against a wet bush can get uncomfortable quick. Short day hunts donít matter as much. 15 hour days in the mountains uncomfortable can turn a great hunt into a miserable one quickly.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #13
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colemane, OK / Hagermann when lucky

I grew up hunting with blue jeans and a red flannel shirt. Even my jacket was either blue or brown depending on my age. I recall having a doe 7 yards from me looking straight at me. She didn't know what I was just new that lump against the tree didn't belong. It was likely my white face that she thought was odd. Point being, wear what is comfortable and warm if needed. Be still. And you'll find success.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 05:30 PM   #14
Johnny44
Ten Point

Wash with unscented. Top and bottom clothes and gear color shade contrast is more important for breaking up form at distance than anything else.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #15
wellingtontx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

Guccii hunting camo not required....nor needed.

I find it interesting looking at some of the Gucci camo and seeing what it is made of then doing a google or amazon search for the non-Gucci camo and laughing at how cheap you can by the exact same piece of clothing - without the brand.

As said above, get some clothes to layer. Good boots well broken in and some good binos.
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 06:05 PM   #16
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Sitka was a game changer for me but not because of the camo pattern. Warmth to bulk is fantastic and it makes hunting sub freezing temps possible for me.
Early elk season I'd follow the advice on boots and glass.
Maybe some decent rain gear.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 06:16 PM   #17
Death from Above
Pope & Young

Wrangler rugged has a ripstop...colors are perfect for hunting anywear.
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 06:51 PM   #18
PlanoDano
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, ID, CO

Everyone hunts different. I am not that dependent on glass in September especially in the 2nd half of the month. I do carry a quality 8x pair of binos though. I do not necessarily wear camo but I do avoid solid black and solid white. I am more concerned with material weight, composition and how it fits my layering strategy than color. The black ovis merino is usually a good deal. I am as likely to wear UB Star bottoms as prana Zions (I have both). Gaiters are underrated.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 09:54 PM   #19
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

I live and hunt in Montana. For the locals, most wear Kennetrek boots. Bozeman company. My son has several pairs, my wife has a leg length discrepancy from scoliosis and only wears Kennetreks with an orthotic lift. Iím still waiting for my Danners to wear out.

I Ďinvestedí in Kuiu clothes, pack and 0 degree bag before we retired. Incredible gear, I have layers starting with merino wool long johns and shirt, mid layer clothes, and rain jacket and pants. Gaiters are important in wet grass and snow.

The thing is weather changes so fast in the mountains and higher elevations. Itís 20 when you get up, then up to 50 and the wind starts and it gets cold. Then afternoon rain, then sun. The key is to stay warm and not sweat- the skin moisture in clothes causes you to be cold and risk hypothermia.

Sitka Gear is also in Bozeman. Good gear, more expensive than Kuiu.

I like my Kuiu Icon Pro 3500 pack.

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 11:25 PM   #20
44mAG
Ten Point

Default Expensive camo vs inexpensive camo

Where the expensive stuff makes a difference is breathability. You can sit still in 30 degree weather and feel great, then also get up and hike a mile and not sweat. That is where I have noticed a huge difference between camo I grew up hunting in, and the Sitka clothing I have now.

44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 12:21 AM   #21
MillsJake
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie Co, Kimble Co, Liberty Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Sitka was a game changer for me but not because of the camo pattern. Warmth to bulk is fantastic and it makes hunting sub freezing temps possible for me.
Early elk season I'd follow the advice on boots and glass.
Maybe some decent rain gear.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

This^ boots and glass are easily the most important.

But the new technologies in Firstlite, sitka etc. provide great warmth at a fraction of the weight and bulk. Also rain gear from one of the above is a game changer compared to stuff you find at academy or something like that. If you can afford nicer gear it lasts but the traditional gear will get it done also.
MillsJake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 06:02 AM   #22
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44mAG View Post
Where the expensive stuff makes a difference is breathability. You can sit still in 30 degree weather and feel great, then also get up and hike a mile and not sweat. That is where I have noticed a huge difference between camo I grew up hunting in, and the Sitka clothing I have now.

Additionally What I find is The big difference maker is the weight and packability. You can say what you want about expensive gear but there is a clear difference in the product
Can you manage in cheap gear? Of course and I did it for years but my hunting experience is much much better now that I can afford and buy better functioning gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 06:54 AM   #23
skinsfan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Goliad/Medina County

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB_TxNole View Post
Cabelas (I think) had some stuff that looked like the Kuiu stuff last year. Really good price.

My grandpa got it done 3 times wearing some just old West Texas camo. Layers and as others have said footwear are probably more important than paying top price for some camo.
Good point, there were a Ton of animals killed before $300 sitka jackets!
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 07:03 AM   #24
Deerslayersh
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I live and hunt in Montana. For the locals, most wear Kennetrek boots. Bozeman company. My son has several pairs, my wife has a leg length discrepancy from scoliosis and only wears Kennetreks with an orthotic lift. Iím still waiting for my Danners to wear out.

I Ďinvestedí in Kuiu clothes, pack and 0 degree bag before we retired. Incredible gear, I have layers starting with merino wool long johns and shirt, mid layer clothes, and rain jacket and pants. Gaiters are important in wet grass and snow.

The thing is weather changes so fast in the mountains and higher elevations. Itís 20 when you get up, then up to 50 and the wind starts and it gets cold. Then afternoon rain, then sun. The key is to stay warm and not sweat- the skin moisture in clothes causes you to be cold and risk hypothermia.

Sitka Gear is also in Bozeman. Good gear, more expensive than Kuiu.

I like my Kuiu Icon Pro 3500 pack.

I also run Kenetrek MTN Extremes. Great boots and good company to deal with. Pricey though.

Yup, the pricey Sitkas, KUIU, First Lites are "not worth it"... until they are. A little inclement weather and you'll be wishing you hadn't worn your cotton wranglers to the mountains as a statement against performance gear. I personally use First Lite, but all are well built and great materials.
Deerslayersh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 07:06 AM   #25
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I didnt believe the hype of it, then I bought some 'gucchi' clothing.

Its worth it
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 07:32 AM   #26
7sdad
Ten Point

I wear solid colors while elk hunting just nothing cotton. I wear $20 Wrangler Outdoor pants from Walmart and some type of poly tee shirt. Get some good Marino Wool base layers and if you want to wear some type for camo fleece you'll be set.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 07:43 AM   #27
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Just think and ask yourself on clothing:

Do you wanna look like you know what your doing and have money? If not buy cheaper as the animals don't care.

Do not skimp on footwear
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 07:55 AM   #28
Leaverrite
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I have a pair of kuiu pants and the one thing I love about them is the ability to pick legs up and climb without heavier material holding you back. The stretch and breathe and you feel like you can hit a squat rack at the gym in them, unlike jean material. They do get hung up in sticky brush and I’ve pulled fabric out on thorns though.
Leaverrite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 08:20 AM   #29
Grand Passage
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country & South TX

It sort of depends on the hunt you are doing. Are you backpacking in and not seeing the truck for 8 days, or are you staying in a lodge?

Poly layers will stink after a day or less hiking in early September. Conversely, Iíve worn the same merino shirt for 8 days straight without a noticeable odor.

Checkout the following for budget friendly gear.
- Black Ovis merino layers
- Wrangler outdoor pants

Buy good boots that fit well and are thoroughly broken in by the time you get to the mountains. Merino socks are a must. I donít prefer sock liners, but some people do.
Grand Passage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #30
BassMaster13
Six Point

Hunt In: SETX, WTX

I"d recommend Badlands camo, they run sales often. Its just as good as Sitka and Kuiu in my opinion.

Darn Tough - merino socks (light or med weight for Sept.

Smart Wool or Merino brands underwear - If you have $2000 worth of camo on, but have cotton draws you just wasted your $$.

If you plan on back packing in I'd spend my money on boots, and a pack before camo.
BassMaster13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 08:46 AM   #31
quackadikt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Passage View Post
It sort of depends on the hunt you are doing. Are you backpacking in and not seeing the truck for 8 days, or are you staying in a lodge?

Poly layers will stink after a day or less hiking in early September. Conversely, Iíve worn the same merino shirt for 8 days straight without a noticeable odor.

Checkout the following for budget friendly gear.
- Black Ovis merino layers
- Wrangler outdoor pants

Buy good boots that fit well and are thoroughly broken in by the time you get to the mountains. Merino socks are a must. I donít prefer sock liners, but some people do.
Great info here. Those Wrangler pants are great and only cost like $25. Good base layers underneath and a good pair of gaiters to keep your feet dry and you're set.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 08:54 AM   #32
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
I didnt believe the hype of it, then I bought some 'gucchi' clothing.

Its worth it
x2. I've got a number of different layers and outerwear from Kuiu and for cold weather it has been a game changer. In warm weather, the merino and their synthetic items are hard to beat for a lightweight/moisture wicking option. I started off buying a jacket, and then a lightweight shirt, and ended up with a closet full.

If you purchase any of the "Gucci" camo you won't be disappointed. Good luck!
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 08:54 AM   #33
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Check out Camofire for deals.
Leave your cotton at home.

Solid pants will work fine, camo top.
Merino base layers and socks, good boots well broken in.
Gaiters instead of rain pants, rain jacket that is quiet.

Newer camo is way more quiet and that is very important on an archery hunt.
You want something that does not absorb much moisture but dried fast when it does.

Be prepared for snow, you may get several inches or feet of it in Sept. Just ask those that hunted in the big snow last Sept, we had 18 inches in camp.

Bird pants and jeans are not going to cut it elk hunting in the mountains during archery season.

Have a day pack for daily trips out and a pack frame for packing put meat. Small pack on our back is much quieter when trying to slip through downfall and heavy timber etc..
Save the big pack for quarters, boned out meat will go in the day pack for 1st trip to camp or the vehicle then take the pack frame.

Good game bags too, not cotton mess.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 07:45 AM   #34
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

OP,

Good thread, and great info.

Thought you might want to check out these videos:

hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #35
wytex
Ten Point

Good link hopedale. Layers are the key for sure.

Get your boots broken in well this summer. Get some Leukotape in case of blisters or hot spots from the boots.
https://sectionhiker.com/leukotape-b...ng-and-hiking/
Old 04-20-2021, 08:42 AM   #36
ghenson82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gatesville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Passage View Post

This!

You can also get a lot of used Kuiu, FirstLite, Sitka, etc gear on Facebook Marketplace in some of the groups and pay a less than new retail, if you're patient.

I talked to several guys who liked the 511 pants for warm season mountain hunting too.
ghenson82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 10:21 AM   #37
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

As others have said, it depends on the kind of hunt you are doing. If you are staying in a cabin itís not a big deal. If you are tent camping and hiking for 7 days, the newer stuff definitely helps. Not the camo pattern but the quality - light weight, odor absorbing, dries instantly, same jacket comfortable in 30-70 degree temps.
-Good boots are a must
-good pair of binocs, i dont Recommend wasting Money on fancy optics like some of these guys say. They are very heavy and my binocs can see just as well. Youíre not going to be glassing open country all day like a Muley hunt
-solid base layer, merino. Great for long hunts and not smelling horrible
-solid pair of pants. I like Kuiu attack and my favorite is my Prana stretch pants, solid brown
-one light jacket in camo, 100 to chose from. I like Kuiu and predator. I get Better pricing on Kuiu. First lite and Sitka prices are outrageous
- a puffy jacket, and brand will work
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 10:36 AM   #38
wytex
Ten Point

Even if staying in a cabin you need good hunting clothes, you'll be hunting out in the elements, not in your cabin.
Good binos that gather in low light are a must, not necessarily high magnification but light gathering ability. You should be glassing in the timber for elk parts; antlers tips, eyes and legs just barely visible. Glassed up many an elk when set up calling that I never would have seen without binos.

Check out camofire and blackovis for deals. Last years closeouts should be on sale soon.

My puffy was a game changer for me in bitter cold hunting conditions. Even in Sept you may get into a heavy cold snow, be prepared.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #39
12ring
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, OK, KS.

Actual camo patterns are over-rated IMO. Needs to be comfortable and stuff. Water-proof in rain, warm in cold, moisture wicking in hot.

With that said, most of mine is bought in clearance at walmart, lol.

But I do splurge a lil on socks and base layers sometimes.
12ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 07:52 PM   #40
Tight
Four Point

Function over form.
Tight is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top