Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #1
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack and Henderson Counties
Thumbs down Rant North Texas Tannery

Well Iíve been using them for 7+ years and referred them many of times here on TBH. Normally I will make the drive to drop off hides and pay all in advance for what I drop off. Not once have I had to call in advance or anything.

Today I left LaRue at 8am and drove almost 3 hrs with traffic to drop off 2 axis, 1 fallow, 1 bobcat and 1 coyote. I pull up and get out of the truck. Friend riding with me helps carry the ice chest over to the drop off area. As we approach a guy comes from the office and ask if Iím the guy that called with the cow. I responded no sir then he says rudely well then who are you? I stated my name and again rudely he asked if I called ahead. I said no sir but just needed to drop off some hides, pay and be on my way. He said no you need to call due to the current situations going on. At this point I looked at my friend completely shocked at how this guy approached this whole deal. I then said well can I drop what I have off and next time Iíll be sure to call in advance but Iím the last Iíve always brought what I needed without calling and it has never been an issue. He asked what I had, I showed him and then he said he doesnít do bobcats, coyotes and didnít have room for anything. He already has a guy coming Monday with 10 hides and basically didnít have time for mine. That was the end of that conversation! My hides sat in the cooler all day, ice kept on them however they still thawed and stink now. To say I was upset is a huge understatement however I kept my cool and just walked away.

In the past the service has always been great. Turnaround 6-8 months (always received them sooner) was never an issue and price is fantastic. Today Iím done. Have I lost my hides? I donít know but 2 are from out of state hunters that came in and killed their first exotics.

I have had a coyote done in the past, know people who have had coyotes and cats done there as well as seen various species of varmints. Not sure what was up this dudeís rear today but Iím done with them.

On a side note I did get to meet a fellow member today I havnt ever met in person and he had to hear this story already.

Rant over
Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 09:24 PM   #2
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Wow, the guy who I dealt with was as nice as could be. I've got an Axis hide there now and I'll call about it Monday. Thanks for the heads up.
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 09:26 PM   #3
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_C View Post
Wow, the guy who I dealt with was as nice as could be. I've got an Axis hide there now and I'll call about it Monday. Thanks for the heads up.
In the past they have always been nice to me no issues. I know tannerys are slammed but I could have easily been told that in a nicer manner.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:31 PM   #4
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

I am impressed. You handled it a lot better than I would have.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 09:35 PM   #5
HTOWN
Eight Point

Hunt In: ROCKSPRINGS

Sounds like you talked to a low level employee, I'd let the owner or manager know how that went.

I'd fire that guy. Sometimes people forget who pays the bills. No customers, no money. Way to run off a good customer.
HTOWN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 09:38 PM   #6
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Few days ago I told my friends all I was going to do this weekend was drink beer and watch the Masters.

Sounds like you interrupted his similar weekend lol
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 09:51 PM   #7
Bish
Ten Point

Well I want be going back there anymore, for the last couple of years I have had axis hides done, and felt like I was not getting mine, this year I knew for sure I didn't get mine, shot a huge axis buck, this hide was very large, when he said it was ready went to pick up and the hide looked like a small doe, told him no way this is mine, we had some kind words and I left, my buddy said no way this is yours cause he helped me skin it. I had pictures that I took and the spot markings was completely different.

God Bless
Bish
Bish is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 10:57 PM   #8
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTOWN View Post
Sounds like you talked to a low level employee, I'd let the owner or manager know how that went.

I'd fire that guy. Sometimes people forget who pays the bills. No customers, no money. Way to run off a good customer.
The owner is an odd duck and I would not be surprised if it was him.

He did a coyote for me and Im pretty certain I didnít get mine back. I was so disappointed in it that i gave it away.

Good meeting you today OP.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 11:24 PM   #9
peterp63
Ten Point

Iíve been using NTT for years. Cheap and they take it green with flesh and all. That said... Theyíve definitely gone downhill in the last couple of years and I donít think they do coons, yotes, cats anymore because they have plenty of business with everything else. Too bad... the price was right with them. Oh well. On to the next.... anyone have another suggestion??
peterp63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 12:30 AM   #10
Beargrasstx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Following...I will need to find someone else as well.
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 06:11 AM   #11
Fajkus7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Conroe, Doss

This is a bummer to hear. I was fixing to send 2 off to them.
Fajkus7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 06:17 AM   #12
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

Sounds like a viking archery experience. Maybe he found a new gig.
kmitchl is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 06:22 AM   #13
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Brown Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitchl View Post
Sounds like a viking archery experience. Maybe he found a new gig.
Exactly what I thought of.
Sad.
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 06:40 AM   #14
Casey
Administrator

Hunt In: Frio, Blanco Counties

I can't get a return call on the axis hide he has of mine. I dropped it off in June and receipt says 6 months for turn around.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 07:41 AM   #15
Mule Skinner
Six Point

Hunt In: Eastern Edwards Co.

Text them, they respond quickly.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 07:43 AM   #16
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I can't get a return call on the axis hide he has of mine. I dropped it off in June and receipt says 6 months for turn around.

^^^this right here. I dropped off an Axis hide in June, since I was going to be in the general area, and paid for it while I was there. Robert was nice during our entire encounter, but I haven't heard a word since then. I was beginning to wonder if something was up, and this thread seems to confirm that my thoughts were probably right.
HeyMikey is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 07:48 AM   #17
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

The only one I have ever dealt with is Robert and he was nice to deal with.

Is it possible he no longer owns it?
May explain all of the changes
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 08:12 AM   #18
TradAg02
Ten Point

I have four hides with them now based on positive reviews on TBH. I havenít paid for anything other than shipping. Will be interested to see what/if I get my hides back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
TradAg02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 08:17 AM   #19
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Have you all looked into A&H Tannery in White Oak ?

We use Moyle Mink for all our tanning and they do great job. They will not take green hides but really fleshing and drying or salting is not hard.
They've done bison hides, many bobcats, mt lion , feral hog and coyotes for us. Always a good job.
They are in Idaho.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 08:27 AM   #20
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
Have you all looked into A&H Tannery in White Oak ?

We use Moyle Mink for all our tanning and they do great job. They will not take green hides but really fleshing and drying or salting is not hard.
They've done bison hides, many bobcats, mt lion , feral hog and coyotes for us. Always a good job.
They are in Idaho.

Googling, it looks like A&H was purchased and now ďTexas Hide Out TanneryĒ? Anyone know if they take green hides (I donít really have the time or means to flash and salt my hides normally).
peterp63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #21
mmurphey
Four Point

I just picked up 3 (2019 season) whitetail hides from NTT and dropped off 4 I had been holding from this 2020 season. He definitely ran a little slow this year, he had those hides a touch over a year instead of the 6 months he estimated. I'm not an impatient guy though so the extra wait was no problem, especially considering the mess that 2020 was for most businesses. He doesn't make unnecessary phone calls to babysit your feelings...but whenever we called to check in (at 8months and 10 months) he was very pleasant on the phone.

FYI, I did call ahead to pickup and drop off....but I always have to make sure someone is there before I make the hour drive.

In the past I always received my hides back, and have no reason to believe I didn't this time around. That would be a big problem in my book.
mmurphey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #22
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

I use a local guy here Kerrville. He may send them out, and i may pay more, but the buck stops with him and in 11 years. Never had an issue. No driving, no shipping, no wondering where my hides are. I hope your issue is resolved. But what is your time and fuel worth? Try to use a local guy and forget about saving a few dollars. A tanner on the other end of the state could care less who he pizzes off. A local guy has to see you around town and save face if anything goes wrong.
Hope your hides are still good.
Good luck.
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #23
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajkus7 View Post
This is a bummer to hear. I was fixing to send 2 off to them.

Same here. I have 4 axis hides I want pillows made out of. I did stop by on Wednesday and talk to an older guy in there. Was kind of short and made sure to keep his distance. I didnít have my hides with me as I wanted to see the place first. He did say he was severely backed up right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #24
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

Sounds like a business opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #25
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
Sounds like a business opportunity.

My taxidermist says getting stuff tanned is a pretty serious bottleneck right now.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #26
cblackall
Four Point

I've used NTT for a few years now, and recommended them based on my experiences there. Quality was always good, the price was right, and they usually met deadlines +/- a couple of weeks. I've never received or expected communication through the process. I would just get a text saying my hide was done. All that being said, this past year they got way behind. I'm assuming due to shutdowns, and possibly a supply issue with chemicals. That's purely speculation, as I have not heard nor asked why. I dropped a whitetail hide off in December of 2019, and my buddy dropped an elk off around the same time. We were quoted 6-8 months, and received them back in late February of this year. I wasn't in a hurry, and the quality was great. This is just my experience, and hopefully eases the minds of the guys who have hides there now. As to the OP, I'd be right there with you if I was in that situation.
cblackall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 12:28 PM   #27
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Communication and how someone approaches a situation goes a long ways with me. I’ve supported NTT for a good while and many customers of mine for making pillows have used them before they would send the hide to us. I understand he was probably swamped and overwhelmed with work but that can easily be said. If that’s how he wants to run his business then I’m sure I’m not the only repeat customer he will run off.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #28
JoelBRice
Four Point

Hunt In: Weatherford

I’ve had two axis hides with them since June of last year, have called and texted multiple times and haven’t heard anything back from them.
JoelBRice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #29
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTOWN View Post

x2!

Maybe its me, but when driving that far I always call ahead of time
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #30
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

He usually doesn't call you until they are done. I have had him do at least 12 of my own and it's never taken less than 8-9 months to get them back. I have more for him also but will just keep them in the freezer for a few more months before I take them. That experience sucks but no one else comes close to his price. I'll use him again. Covid screwed up a lot of stuff and I bet he's just stressed. Great idea to call first, I have never done that before.
88 Bound is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #31
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I'm 7 months out on a 6 month hide turnaround. I heard he was really slowed up due to the continuing issues so we may just need to be a little patient.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #32
Shake N' Bake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

I live down the road from him and have used him a few times. Never got good vibes from him. Although most people just raved about him.

My wife and I run a part time taxidermy skull mount business and get calls regularly asking us to tan hides(which we don't do)
Maybe it's time for us to start...
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #33
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Every time I have seen that attitude from a business its when they have become so big or so busy that customers just become a burden and they get cocky and lose the customer service mentality.
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 02:15 PM   #34
Hills of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Hide tanning done right is an art. It take knowledge and some specialized equipment along with a crap ton of fleshing and shaving. We send everything off to be tanned. It’s takes time and due to the last year and half, everyone is backed up. Hes probably just like everyone else right now and running behind due to sheer volume. Numbers have been through the roof since COVID hit last year. Good problem to have but the logistics of getting everything done in a timely manner is a huge headache.
Hills of Texas is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #35
Shake N' Bake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hills of Texas View Post
Hide tanning done right is an art. It take knowledge and some specialized equipment along with a crap ton of fleshing and shaving. We send everything off to be tanned. Itís takes time and due to the last year and half, everyone is backed up. Hes probably just like everyone else right now and running behind due to sheer volume. Numbers have been through the roof since COVID hit last year. Good problem to have but the logistics of getting everything done in a timely manner is a huge headache.
I agree completely but it's not an excuse to treat your customers like crap.
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 02:23 PM   #36
Hills of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

No,I agree. Customer service is how you grow and gain clients. I’ve been able to keep original clients from 10 years ago and add to it every year. We now employ several full and part time positions and handle several hundred mounts per year. I’m sure he’s just probably just stressed out.
Hills of Texas is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 02:27 PM   #37
buck_wild
Ten Point

I use several tanneries that take green hides but they are "wholesale" to verified taxidermy businesses only. They don't accept off the street work. I can't imagine how a tannery would deal with all the 1-4 item orders Most taxidermy businesses send in 50-500 pieces per year alone. We get customer numbers that are punched into all hides we send in. If they have to track possibly thousands of 1-3 hide orders
One of my usual places is running 4.5 months right now and I just got an email a second one is expecting 5 month turn around vs 90 days. With Covid, more people hunted this year and killed more animals. Couple that with a labor shortage..... God bless the tannery that accepts walk up traffic- I know I wouldn't do it.
buck_wild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #38
crittergetter76
Eight Point

I have always been incredibly impressed with the quality I get back from Moyle. Outstanding.

I wasn't very happy with the last batch I got back from NTT. I've never had any issue with discourteous employees, just wasn't pleased with the quality of the tan.

Send it to Moyle. Its worth the extra effort on your part.
crittergetter76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #39
Lampasas
Four Point

I still haven’t gotten back my Axis Hide from January 2020. I haven’t been very impressed with them either.
Lampasas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 05:03 PM   #40
Flint knapper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

Years ago I took a raccoon hide that I had already fleshed to have it tanned, and it was around 8 to 10 months before it was shipped back to me! The hide and hair was real greasy and I voiced my dismay about this on this site. A few weeks later I got a letter from NTT that told me they wouldn't be tanning anymore of my animals because I was giving them bad press! He did return my check with the letter. So I guess he new that his work was below standard.

I then used some borax that I already had and degreased the hide as best as I could, and it helped.

I just don't understand why anyone would send out a product that wasn't finished and then get mad if customer is not happy!!!!!!
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 05:58 PM   #41
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

If I had a customer blast me or my business on a public site before approaching me first, I also would kindly tell them to kick rocks going forward as well.
Greenheadless is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 06:11 PM   #42
SJP51
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard, Bryan

Dropped off an Axis today. Gent was a nice enough guy. Very congenial. Did not even think to call I advance. Sign clearly says it will be 8 months.

If I was him I'd up my rates till the backlog was only 4 months. Make more and work less.
Prior hides have turned out well. No complaints.

Last edited by SJP51; 05-07-2021 at 06:20 PM.
SJP51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 08:18 PM   #43
JoelBRice
Four Point

Hunt In: Weatherford

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJP51 View Post
Dropped off an Axis today. Gent was a nice enough guy. Very congenial. Did not even think to call I advance. Sign clearly says it will be 8 months.

If I was him I'd up my rates till the backlog was only 4 months. Make more and work less.
Prior hides have turned out well. No complaints.
Sign is wrong.
JoelBRice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 09:04 PM   #44
Flint knapper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

I did call him and voice my concerns about the grease in the hide, but no help!
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 09:41 PM   #45
sasqy
Ten Point

Hunt In: my sasquatch suit

He is close to a year behind right now !
Doesn’t do fur bearers anymore.
Text don’t call, much better response this way.
sasqy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 09:55 PM   #46
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
If I had a customer blast me or my business on a public site before approaching me first, I also would kindly tell them to kick rocks going forward as well.
I canít imagine why a customer would care if they put out that crap work anyways.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 10:25 PM   #47
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.

Very sorry to hear that, Jason. That was definitely not the same experience I had. I was told 8 months and got it in 10. I was not upset about that though, as I didn't really care how long it took. I did call although because I would been upset had I drove an hour for them to be on vacation or something. They talked my ear off when I went to pick them up, also. Nice, but just really long winded. I had recommended them on here based on my experience and price, but now may look elsewhere.
ctom87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 11:04 PM   #48
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Dang... NTT went from a hero to zero pretty quick here on the GS it seems..
It happens!!!!
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2021, 07:44 AM   #49
chunkinlead
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co., Garza Co.

Glad this is coming to light. 2 years ago I had sent 2 axis hides in. 1 for a pillow and one just for the tanning. To shorten that experience up, the pillow came back great quality. The hide came way after the pillow and definitely was not one of the hides I sent it. After talking with Robert on the phone I found out he is an absolute ***** and truly does not care about business.

chunkinlead is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2021, 10:01 AM   #50
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, Kimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post

They already told him to kick rocks...hints the blasting...

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top