Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-30-2021, 10:18 AM   #1
bullhead44
Ten Point

Default dead trees

I have 2 arizona ash trees we planted when we built our house in 2000. I didn't realize they were so short lived when I planted them. They should have been good for another 10 years, but I guess the deep freeze this year got them. I wanted something that grew quickly in the front yard because it had no trees. The back yard has multiple large oaks. Now that they are dead, I'm gonna take them out and put some new trees in I guess. Any suggestions on something that will grow somewhat quickly, but not die in 20 years?
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 10:21 AM   #2
44mAG
Ten Point

I don't think your trees died on their own, they were killed by the freeze. Many, many trees had the same fate due to the winter storm. Almost every fruit tree, ash, and red oak in our neighborhood are all dead, or are branching out only around the trunk due to the freeze damage.

I personally would give your trees another month or two to see if they show any signs of life before removing.

I'm not a lot of help on new trees recommendations, but I have always heard that Monterrey oaks are great trees for Texas.

Last edited by 44mAG; 04-30-2021 at 10:28 AM.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 10:22 AM   #3
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Cedar Elm(poor man live oak) grows surprisingly quick - will beat a live oak. Give you fall color. You can prune the crap out of it and shape it into the tree you want as it grows. They're very underrated, and there's a good chance you've hung a treestand in one a some point if you bowhunt in Texas.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #4
waterdog
Pope & Young

give them more time. i have 2 that look dead till this week they are staring to get new buds now.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 10:25 AM   #5
Jtrage
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Not trying to hijack your thread but when do you know your trees are dead. We have a Bradford Pear that had blooms right before the freeze, I think. They are still there. I can't tell if they are any bigger, might be but not significant. No green. Others in neighborhood that look rough at least have some green. When I scrape the bark at multiple places I see green.

I have heard that trees can have a lot of energy stored and to wait a little longer. We are in McKinney.

To your question, I wouldn't pick a Bradford Pear. We didn't. Our neighborhood did before we were here and haven't seen good things with them when they get bigger/older.
Jtrage is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 10:28 AM   #6
Cox1
Spike

Hunt In: Hill Country/Panhandle

I may be in the same situation. I have two Arizona Ash that I planted in 2011 that appear dead from freeze. I plan to wait them out till fall and see if they possibly come back before I make a decision to get rid of them. Not sure what to replace with but will probably go back with same or pecans.
Cox1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 10:32 AM   #7
7sdad
Ten Point

I have 4 large Ash trees that haven't put on leaves yet this year due to the freeze but they do have some new growth down low so I'm going to leave them for now and see what happens.
7sdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 10:32 AM   #8
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

We never have temps that cold here (single digits and neg. numbers) in the winter so it doesn't surprise me that all the weak trees in our area won't recover. There are many, many shrubs here that are brown and will need to be replaced.
I agree, the elms do well here and grow quickly. I've got a red maple that has grown rather quickly and seems pretty sturdy. Supposedly bur oaks do well, along with chinese pistachio.

http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/listOfTrees/
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 10:33 AM   #9
bullhead44
Ten Point

Im gonna leave these till the fall as well. Maybe they will come back. There a few small green branches trying to come off the trunk, but the branches up top all seem dead
Old 04-30-2021, 10:39 AM   #10
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead44 View Post
I have 2 arizona ash trees we planted when we built our house in 2000. I didn't realize they were so short lived when I planted them. They should have been good for another 10 years, but I guess the deep freeze this year got them. I wanted something that grew quickly in the front yard because it had no trees. The back yard has multiple large oaks. Now that they are dead, I'm gonna take them out and put some new trees in I guess. Any suggestions on something that will grow somewhat quickly, but not die in 20 years?
What part of the state are you in? Arizona ash and bradford pears are weak wooded garbage.

If you are eastern wetter and more acidic soils i recommend Bald Cypress or if you can find it and like pines, longleaf pine.

Central Texas probably post oak or live oak.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 10:46 AM   #11
drwilliams
Ten Point

My dad has 2 in his yard that he planted in 1985. They are great big trees and both don't have any green in them. I know of about 10 others that haven't leafed out yet and all look dead.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
drwilliams is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #12
RedBear78
Six Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Cedar Elm(poor man live oak) grows surprisingly quick - will beat a live oak. Give you fall color. You can prune the crap out of it and shape it into the tree you want as it grows. They're very underrated, and there's a good chance you've hung a treestand in one a some point if you bowhunt in Texas.
Yes sir we plant a lot of these and is one of my favorite trees.
RedBear78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 11:02 AM   #13
ohuett
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas/Alabama

Shumard oak is a fast growing oak tree that is good in Texas. I’ve planted 4 of them and they’re good hardwood trees...they’re supposed to grow 18-24” a year too. Just another option for you to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ohuett is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2021, 02:20 PM   #14
bullhead44
Ten Point

Checked on my Ash trees yesterday. There are losts of new limbs growing off the trunk. A little new growth beginning to come out in some higher branches near the trunk. Still nothing on the the outer branches. The farther from the trunk the less new growth. At least they are not dead yet. Hopefully they will come back.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:00 PM   #15
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

after the extreme freeze this winter, a hard summer is going to kill even more that were weakened by the cold.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #16
Maddox
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
give them more time. i have 2 that look dead till this week they are staring to get new buds now.
These

Our Japanese Blueberries looked dead since the freeze but sprouted new buds this week. Ill have to cut them back, but they look like they survived the freeze.
Maddox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2021, 04:50 PM   #17
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Cut the ashes down and kill all the sprouts. In the nursery and landscaping industry we called them Trash trees. Kill them ASAP.. I have a strong disliking for ash trees...due to many many fallen scaffolds on rental house roofs due to poor crotch angles and bark inclusions. I am happy to cut down any ash given any excuse.

Plant Mexican sycamore, montery oak or shumards...as mentioned. Very very tolerant species.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 05-06-2021 at 04:53 PM. Reason: BarkInclusionSpake
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2021, 05:22 PM   #18
3whunt
Six Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Cut the ashes down and kill all the sprouts. In the nursery and landscaping industry we called them Trash trees. Kill them ASAP.. I have a strong disliking for ash trees...due to many many fallen scaffolds on rental house roofs due to poor crotch angles and bark inclusions. I am happy to cut down any ash given any excuse.

Plant Mexican sycamore, montery oak or shumards...as mentioned. Very very tolerant species.
I too hate all ash and elm trees. I too am a fan of shumard oaks. Fast and longevity rarely go together when talking about trees.
3whunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #19
Old Goat1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead44 View Post
Checked on my Ash trees yesterday. There are losts of new limbs growing off the trunk. A little new growth beginning to come out in some higher branches near the trunk. Still nothing on the the outer branches. The farther from the trunk the less new growth. At least they are not dead yet. Hopefully they will come back.
I have one in the front yard from my dad's tree where I grew up at. Centimental. Same as yours. I have been cutting the sprouts off the trunck so most the nutrients gets to the sprouts at the top. Don't need anything robbing nutrients at the bottom. I won't trim dead stuff until I see what develops later on. Nature has a way of surviving. Just have to help it along a little.
Old Goat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2021, 08:04 PM   #20
FowlTrouble
Six Point

Elm trees are ugly unless you do a lot of pruning.

Ash trees, especially Texas Ash, are fast growing but invasive. That shouldnt be a problem for your circumstances. They arent very pretty trees any time of year, but they grow exponentially fast.

If you want one or a thousand I can supply them if you want to dig them out. We hate them due to their fast growth and regrowth rate after cutting if not sprayed
FowlTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2021, 09:04 PM   #21
Oleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

I have some red oak, water oak, that has suffered from the freeze. Some upper limbs show signs of stress, going to leave alone until next fall. We did loose 22 mature Texas Sage bushes that were about 16 years old. Gonna miss the blooms and bees.
Oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2021, 07:19 AM   #22
bullhead44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleman View Post
I have some red oak, water oak, that has suffered from the freeze. Some upper limbs show signs of stress, going to leave alone until next fall. We did loose 22 mature Texas Sage bushes that were about 16 years old. Gonna miss the blooms and bees.
Ive got a sage bush by the back porch that is about half dead. Need to cut it back and hope the rest survive
Old 05-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #23
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

Just pulled up my citrus, olive and fig trees, they were no doubt dead. Have 2 tallows I need to cut down also, been wanting to cut them for years but my wife wouldn’t let me, thank goodness they’re dead.
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top