For sheetrock DIYers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For sheetrock DIYers

I have an area in my house where there is a (for lack of a better term) bay window/wall. The whole area, from floor to ceiling, bows out and includes windows all across the area. There are 4 "corners", 2 inside and 2 outside corners.Each "corner" is 22.5 degrees (I trimmed all of them in the build so I know). On one of the outside corners,the protective metal strip has come loose and I'm in the process of trying to fixing it.
    I know outside corners usually have a protective metal strip to keep them from getting dinged up. On this,There is actually 2 strips of metal about 1/2" x1/16 thick, one on each side of the corner.They were not nailed anywhere and there are not even any holes in the strips for nailing. Just held on with the joint compound. They were not coated in any fashion and have rusted, therefore causing them to come loose and for me to have to rebuild the corner.
    My Concern: the only thing I can find , built for protecting an outside corner, is bent to 90 deg. I have tried to bend it to conform to the new angle but it is not even at all. The edge is all wavy.
    Ok, Has anyone out there run into a situation like this and what did you do about it? Anyone else have input on this situation?
    Last edited by locolobo; 04-30-2021, 01:26 PM.

They make a paper tape corner with metal strips in it. Available at lowes in 10' sticks. Forms to any angle.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. But i've already put up a metal one. Wife insisted I get it fixed NOW! That was yesterday. Yes MA'AM! We'll see how it goes. Putty's dryin as we speak. And gonna take a lot more putty to cover that up.

Comment

Is that an area where you could use re-clamed wood or a siding, or new raw wood? Sheetrock sucks where there is moisture.

Comment

Working...
        X