Bathtub Caulking Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathtub Caulking Tips

Anybody got any tips/tricks for caulking a bathtub. Looking online saw a few people taping off both sides then using a spoon to smooth out the caulk. Figured with all of the knowledge on here there would be some good advice. Thank you.

Taping both sides works and produces good results, though more labor intensive. Whatever you use to smooth out, spoon, special tool, finger, etc. must be damp. Do not try and smooth out with a dry tool, it will just drag the caulking around.

Comment

Tape is very helpful!

Comment

I have chalked a lot of tubs in the last several years doing make readies for property management companies and this tool make it simple, fast and look great. No tape or anything else needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Use less than you think.

Comment

I have always been told to PUSH the caulk tube instead of Dragging the caulk tube. Something about distribution within the area being caulked

Comment

Guess you can worry about taping and all that but it has nothing to do with effectiveness, just looks. If you do though, I would wait till that application cures fully and then go back over it with another application that COVERS where you pulled the tape off. Just use the clear 100% silicone and looks won't be that critical. The main thing is that it doesn't leak, obviously!
              Last edited by tdwinklr; 04-16-2021, 12:42 PM.

Comment

The trick my dad taught me when caulking anything is to dampen your finger and run it across. When you feel like you have too much excess and need to wipe your finger, you do.

Comment

Keep moving

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    I have chalked a lot of tubs in the last several years doing make readies for property management companies and this tool make it simple, fast and look great. No tape or anything else needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I re did my shower and used one of these and it worked great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Caulk will shrink and is temporary. But paintable if needed. Wet finger and keep cleaning

Silicone is a better option if not paining. Spray with denatured alcohol instead of water.

Keep hands and surface CLEAN and damp with appropriate liquid. No tape needed

Comment

What are you caulking to? Most tubs have tile surrounds above and if you caulk where the tile hits the tub it will mildew behind the caulk. A little more info is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          Caulk will shrink and is temporary. But paintable if needed. Wet finger and keep cleaning

Silicone is a better option if not paining. Spray with denatured alcohol instead of water.

Keep hands and surface CLEAN and damp with appropriate liquid. No tape needed
                          This right here. It also helps to have small lady type fingers too. Get it wet and clean excess often.My wife is world class quality when it comes to applying caulk/silicone products. In my circle of people, they make fun of my very large hands and fingers. Even my pinky is bigger than most peoples thumb’s. I can do a lot of things but can’t spread caulk with my Fred flintstone digits.

Comment

It is basically one of those all in 1 shower tubs kits from HD. Doing it at a hunting cabin in the Hill Country.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Put caulk I corner's before assembly. Set panels per instructions. Let dry for a day and use caulk per instructions after a couple of days. The instructions with the surround will tell you the compatible caulk. No worries on mildew in this scenario.

Comment

Working...
                              X