No announcement yet.

Helicopter crash hog hunting in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting video. Will be curious to learn what happened...looked like fuel exhaustion??? Don't know much about that particular helicopter but makes me wonder if a fuel cutoff switch didn't get opened??? Beyond that appears pilot did good job. If anyone learns what happened please report.

Some of the best adventures in my life have been in helicopters...love them!

Comment

I’ve flown with that pilot a bunch in Albany. He has a bunch of experience did a good job not getting anybody hurt. The crash was because of mechanical issues.

Comment

Ok...since the crash was uneventful, luckily. Did they get to shoot any hogs?
        Dang...go play the lottery after that one.

Comment

Uncle Sugar gave us rides for free.

Comment

I watched 3 helicopters hog hunting on the 2 big ranches beside me in Archer county last week. After watching those 3 dippin and divin while shootin it's a wonder more accidents don't happen. However it was cool to watch.

Comment

Don't know what caused it but pilot did a good job. Low altitude auto-rotations are a no beuno. He avoided wires in front of them and trees for the most part. Everyone walked away. Alarm was most likely low rotor rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
                Don't know what caused it but pilot did a good job. Low altitude auto-rotations are a no beuno. He avoided wires in front of them and trees for the most part. Everyone walked away. Alarm was most likely low rotor rpm.

Yes^^ altitude is your friend in a helicopter. I’ve flown a lot of hours as a rotorcraft crew member, but I don’t desire to chase animals in a Robinson.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                  I spent way too many hours as a passenger in helicopters. I'll never ride in another one.

I served with the 1st. Air Cavalry in Nam. Took part in too many air assaults as a grunt.

Worked for an oilfield service company, all through the 80's, and took many flights to and from rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, Alaska, Brazil and the North Sea.

Joined the U. S. Forest Service in 1991 and besides my regular duties, I was a helicopter crew member on wildfires and other assignment. We flew low level dropping ping pong balls on prescribed burns and wildfires. Also spent six weeks in Lufkin on an assignment flying backseat, low level, looking for parts from the Space Shuttle Columbia in 2003.

I lost a couple of firefighter friends in crashes.

Never again.

I'm glad no one was hurt in this incident.
                  My dad and his buddies class of 1966 Tamu , refuse to ride in any helicopter during deer survey , after talking to one who was in 1st cav I understand why
                  That is a pretty easy “ crash “ almost Disney land ride

Comment

Warning

I watched the video and must have caught a virus or something. Now, my screen saver is a shot from that video. I must've been hacked.

Comment

Will still hop in one every chance I get....

I fly a small plane several times a week, but those choppers are something completely different, it's hard to explain
                      Last edited by Atfulldraw; 03-07-2021, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Typical Robinson.

Comment

Heli hunting is some of the most fun I've ever had.

Glad everyone is alright.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                            Heli hunting is some of the most fun I've ever had.

Glad everyone is alright.
                            Until it ain't...

Comment

Robinson R44 ... pretty much feels like a flying tin can .. but tons of fun .. did it once, but it was a bust .. no hogs ! I ended up shooting a running coyote .. and blasting at ground targets .. it was fun , but so was skydiving back in the days ... not any more!
                              [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-diFtVZrtM&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnablo"]Operation Gunsmoke III - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Spent my army career as a chopper pilot, and we called it the "dead man's zone"--to low, too slow. If the engine quits, you need either airspeed or altitude to give you a chance at executing an autorotation---hog hunts via choppers don't have either. Fortunately, they were climbing out and had some of both altitude and airspeed.

Did y'all notice that the chopper had done a "self-circumcision"? You can see the aft end of the tail boom against the brush -- after they unloaded the AR. He either hit hard enough that the main rotor flexed down and hit the tail rotor--but didn't see any damage to the rotor blades, or he flared to hard and the aft end of the tail boom hit the ground and it broke off-

Comment

Working...
                                X