Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 01-07-2021, 03:06 PM   #1
gneimeth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rosanky and Big Lake
Default Recurve Recommendations

So Im wanting to take the plunge and get a recurve to eventually take a deer with. I started off with a Bear recurve about 40 years ago but have been strictly a compound shooter all of my adult life.

Appreciate any recommendations on what brand/model - below are my specs:

- lefty
- 28 draw (estimating/Im a 29.5 with compound)
- 45 or 50lb draw weight
- ability to mount a quiver

Any good places to look online like 3Rivers?

G.
gneimeth is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2021, 03:35 PM   #2
killerbee
Pope & Young

My suggestion is shoot as many as you can. I bought to many to could both new and used. Tradgang,leatherwall and here lol. I bought several widows new and used during that time. I really like the belly foward style riser and they shot really well for me. I finally settled on a timberghost recurve that has that type ruser design. Sold everything else, thats how well it shoots for me. Lots of good ones out there. Ford vs chevy kinda deal!

Last edited by killerbee; 01-07-2021 at 03:37 PM.
killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #3
gneimeth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
My suggestion is shoot as many as you can. I bought to many to could both new and used. Tradgang,leatherwall and here lol. I bought several widows new and used during that time. I really like the belly foward style riser and they shot really well for me. I finally settled on a timberghost recurve that has that type ruser design. Sold everything else, thats how well it shoots for me. Lots of good ones out there. Ford vs chevy kinda deal!
Thanks - pretty overwhelming with all the info so need to find some places where I can try them out + they have leftys..
Old 01-07-2021, 04:42 PM   #4
Bisch
Pope & Young

Default Recurve Recommendations

If you are just starting with Trad shooting, you might think about a good starter bow like a samik sage or black hunter. Those can be had for under $150, and you should start out with a lighter draw weight, like no more than about 40#. Once you have the basics down you can move up if desired. If you go to 3D shoots and meet other Trad shooters, you can get to try other bows and decide what you like best.

Sarrels Archery
Primal Tech Bows
Bob Lee Archery
Navajo Bows

Those are just a few well respected bow makers right here in TX. There are a thousand others all over. What works for any particular guy is really a personal preference thing!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2021, 06:17 PM   #5
gneimeth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
If you are just starting with Trad shooting, you might think about a good starter bow like a samik sage or black hunter. Those can be had for under $150, and you should start out with a lighter draw weight, like no more than about 40#. Once you have the basics down you can move up if desired. If you go to 3D shoots and meet other Trad shooters, you can get to try other bows and decide what you like best.

Sarrels Archery
Primal Tech Bows
Bob Lee Archery
Navajo Bows

Those are just a few well respected bow makers right here in TX. There are a thousand others all over. What works for any particular guy is really a personal preference thing!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks Bisch - that resonates with me!
Old 01-07-2021, 06:28 PM   #6
txchuck
Six Point

Try. traditionarcherysales.com
Len Busby sells used bows. He has great reputation. I have bought 3 bows from him and all were as represented.
txchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Palmer
ballgame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 07:12 AM   #8
Jon Stewart
Six Point

I would look at a Black Hunter (as mentioned above). I own maybe 40 bows from Black Widow, Bear and Shakespeare and a custom Northern Mist longbow.

I found a one year old used Black Hunter longbow on another site for $80.00 delivered. That bow is one of the nicest shooting bows I own and at 40#'s it has a ton of snap to it.
Jon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 04:04 PM   #9
Cenizo
Spike

Hunt In: where the animals are...

Kifarucast did a podcast with Tradlab back in October reviewing different bowyers and what to look for in a bow design. You can also go to Tradlab's website for bow testing data. 3Rivers, Lancaster, and RMSGear seem to have the widest selection of bows, and RMSG has used bows for sale at various times. Stalker Stickbows has a "test drive" program where you only pay for shipping (~$45).
Cenizo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top