350 Legend vs 30-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

350 Legend vs 30-30

Any thoughts? I have a Marlin 30-30. My wife hunts with it mostly for hogs. Is the .350 legend a better option? Pros and cons?

Only pro Id say is you can’t run 30-30 in an AR15 or in most cases a small bolt gun.

With out comparing ballistics I’d assume the 30-30 will have a little more energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

From the ballistics I’ve seen it shows more down range energy (200 yards) and less recoil.

I’m looking at getting it in bolt action for the wife. I’m just not sure if it’s really better that the 30-30 for hunting.

Comment

No, it’s no better than a 30-30. People snatching it up because it’s got a catchy name. Lol. If I was buying my wife a bolt action gun, it would be in 7mm-08. Light recoil, accurate and does a number on animals.

Comment

Will the 350 Legend be around in 10 years? It's 2 claims to "Legend" status are it fits in an AR and is legal for deer in those states that have adopted straight wall cartridges. But it isn't much different than the 30-30 power wise.

And amongst straight wall cartridges, there is a big gap between the 350 Legend and 450 Bushmaster (which many feel is too much of a good thing).

My point being that if I can see that gap, so can cartridge makers. Somebody will come out with another .35 or .375 or .40 straight wall cartridge that slots in nicely between the 350 & 450 - more power than the 350 with less recoil than the 450.

And it could be a big seller and make the 350 an obsolete round in a hurry.

Comment

Thanks guys. I was thinking it wasn’t any better than the 30-30. I will pass on the 350

Comment

Well my last trip to Academy the only ammo on the shelf was 350 legend and 450 bushmaster lol

Comment

I would like to have one just to have one to be honest. I love my 30-30 so for me it will never replace that. However i would like to have one chambered in a CZ 527 with a compact scope as a knock around rifle. But to answer your question it will not do anything for you that a 30-30 won't.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                  Well my last trip to Academy the only ammo on the shelf was 350 legend and 450 bushmaster lol
                  I was going to say the same about Bass Pro. All they had on the shelf was probably 50 boxes of 350 Legend.

Comment

Cleveland Walmart has plenty of .350 Legend ammo and not much else.

Comment

Which leads to the question of 'If nobody else wants this ammo, why would you?'.

Unless you're determined to shoot it out of an AR, there are lots better options, especially in Texas.

Comment

Get her a 527 in 6.5 Grendel. She will love it.

Comment

In a AR, I think a 350 Legend would be a nice round, for a 100 yard or less, brush gun, hog gun. Leaning more towards hogs, because of the potential for high capacity of AR magazines. Being bases off of a 223 case, I would assume you should be able to get the same amount or close to the same amount of 350 Legend in a AR mag, that you could 223. It's a smaller, big bore, supposedly with the same ballistics as a 357 Maximum. So it should be a good deer and pig round.

The 30-30, definitely has the potential to perform better at longer ranges than a 350 Legend. Now, if you are using a 30-30 lever gun for comparison, to a 350 Legend bolt gun, the 30-30 will have a flatter trajectory and more energy out past 100 yards. Assuming you are using typical lever gun ammo. Now a 30-30 can be hand loaded to perform a lot better than the factory ammo, if you are not using a lever gun. But a 350 Legend bolt gun, should be more accurate, just because it's a bolt gun.

I really don't get the 350 Legend, 450 Bushmaster or 458 SOCOM bolt gun idea. But I guess some people think such a thing is cool. I will admit, I want a 350 Rem. Mag. Remington 600 pretty badly. The 350 Rem. Mag. is a good bit more powerful, but not sure it's a lot more useful, than a 350 Legend, 450 Bushmaster or 458 SOCOM bolt gun.

If you wanted a bolt gun, for improved accuracy, over a existing lever gun. But then wanted a lighter short gun. I would probably look at one of the Howa 1500 Mini, in 6.5 Grendel or 7.62X39. The 300 BO, 7.62X39 and the 30-30 are all very close ballistically.
                          A Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 or 308 would be even better.

I would suggest a bolt gun in 358 Win., if you really wanted a larger bore, short action, with more power than a 30-30, but I don't know of any company making a 358 Win. in a long time. I have not seen any 358 Win. ammo, in a long time.

There are so many good options with just off the shelf guns, then you can get into custom barreled guns, then you have a ton more options. If I was buying my wife a deer rifle, it would be either a 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08, in a short action bolt gun of some type. Then I would have to remember, that other people are not used to extremely light triggers like I am. So something like a Savage, with a Accutrigger, would probably be a good choice.

Comment

Times are funny. Its the first time in recent history I'd consider buying the ammo before the gun LOL

Comment

Both of my sisters used to shoot 270 Win., for years. Every deer they ever shot, never took a single step, afterwards, all went straight to the ground. My sisters were pretty small back in those days. They never once complained about the 270s, they used.

Now, many years later, one of my sisters has a boyfriend, who wants to take her hunting. He has a 30-06, he is not fond of the recoil. So he likes to use a 243. Well he decided he is going to buy my sister a rifle, what does he want to get her? A 243, she wants another 270, he keeps telling her she does not want a 270. But she has made it very clear she wants another 270, she killed many deer dead on the spot, with her old gun. I know for a fact he got her a 243, if she has a deer run off, after she shoots it with that 243, he will never hear the end of that deal, I know my sister.

He is probably going to get mad at me, because I am going to let her borrow my 270.
                              Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 12-10-2020, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X