Ford F-150 Issue (Torque shudder)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
    I’ve got a 2016 and had the shudder. Bought shudder fix from auto parts store. The shudder went away almost immediately. Two weeks later with no shudder, I had the fluid and filter exchanged. Not flushed, just drained and replace with new fluid. I had about 215,000 on it at the time, November. No problems at all now.
    Man I tried to get the shop to do a fluid exchange but they said it would make it worst within 2-3 weeks. Then asked about the shudder fluid and the said it would make them liable and couldn’t do it which I guess I under stand.

I’m at the point I just need a short term fix.

Comment

Go get 2 bottles of friction modifier from your Ford dealer. Add it to your fluid. Temporary fix.

Comment

Definitely a torque converter. Clear whatever codes are in there. Converters dont throw codes and 99 percent of the time the sales department won't even drive the truck

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Take it to a dealership and trade it in. If its out of warranty you're looking at about 10-12 hours just in labor

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a similar issue with my ‘07. I took it to a transmission shop and they said a bad coil. I replaced my coils and plugs and it fixed the problem. It did not throw a CEL. It’s probably different on your 2017, but it may be worth checking out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mini-x fan View Post
              I had a similar issue with my ‘07. I took it to a transmission shop and they said a bad coil. I replaced my coils and plugs and it fixed the problem. It did not throw a CEL. It’s probably different on your 2017, but it may be worth checking out.

Definitely have it double checked for a bad coil - it produces all the systems you said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had this problem 6mos ago while I was hauling a bunch of wood.
                Took it in and the dealership replaced torque converter twice. Kept on doing it. Third time turned out to be a solenoid valve/pump. Replaced that and has been fine ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                  Man I tried to get the shop to do a fluid exchange but they said it would make it worst within 2-3 weeks. Then asked about the shudder fluid and the said it would make them liable and couldn’t do it which I guess I under stand.

I’m at the point I just need a short term fix.
                  I ytubed where and how to put in the Shudder Fix. It’s worth the try in my opinion. Especially if your going to trade it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Horns1 View Post
                    Definitely have it double checked for a bad coil - it produces all the systems you said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    A cylinder misfire can create similar feeling. But would never create metal in the trans pan.

Comment

Sounds like it’s time for a Tundra!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                        A cylinder misfire can create similar feeling. But would never create metal in the trans pan.
                        This ☝️.

Back in the 07 and earlier models they used a 3 piece spark plug. Those models were known for fouling plugs of you went cheap. It does have the same ahuttering effect around the 45+- 5 mph mark. I would change your plugs and coil packs with the cheapest thing you can find and trade it. As mentioned before most dealerships don't test drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolman View Post
                          Go get 2 bottles of friction modifier from your Ford dealer. Add it to your fluid. Temporary fix.
                          Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
                          I’ve got a 2016 and had the shudder. Bought shudder fix from auto parts store. The shudder went away almost immediately. Two weeks later with no shudder, I had the fluid and filter exchanged. Not flushed, just drained and replace with new fluid. I had about 215,000 on it at the time, November. No problems at all now.
                          Any recommendations on a video that shows how to do this? Looks like the sealed transmission they started doing that makes it tough.

Thank you

Comment

Fill plug is on the passenger side. It's a 19mm silver plug. There is a little dipstick under it. Pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolman View Post
                              Fill plug is on the passenger side. It's a 19mm silver plug. There is a little dipstick under it. Pretty easy.
                              Well dang. I thought it was all enclosed. Access through the hood or below?

Thanks again for all the help

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                                Well dang. I thought it was all enclosed. Access through the hood or below?

Thanks again for all the help
                                Under the truck.

Comment

Working...
                                X