Land Clearing by Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
    you CAN NOT do 30 acres of this be hand or with any kind of push machine. You just simply can't. No matter how many yeti's you have.
    Not trying to do 30 acres this year, just a couple 1-2 acres patches in the 30 acres for hunting next season. Hopefully next year I can get a mulcher in there. I wouldn't even dream of attempting 30 acres by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
      Not trying to do 30 acres this year, just a couple 1-2 acres patches in the 30 acres for hunting next season. Hopefully next year I can get a mulcher in there. I wouldn't even dream of attempting 30 acres by hand.
      I see. then spray , let die and burn.
      Last edited by camoclad; 03-20-2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

No different if you mulch it, mow it, or shred it. Still needs to be sprayed to kill it. That's why people that shred mesquite do it every year.

If you do the above, the best thing to do is wait a couple years to get enough leaf area to spray it. That root will be just as big if not bigger next year and when you don't have many leaves on it, it won't be enough to take the chemical to kill the root or it will just burn the leaves off too fast. You also have to time it right, that's why the stem spray or proper planning for leaf spray is best.

I just had to do a presentation on brush control a couple weeks ago so I'm fairly confident with what I've said.

Comment

Thank you all for the info. I think I am going to try and hire some local kids or family to help me do a hack and squirt to kill as much as we can on the 30 acre section. I will talk with the wildlife biologist about setting a burn whenever the time is right.

I will hack and squirt the areas I want to hand clear for bedding and bow stands this year and come in once it is dead and clean it up best I can.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
            Buy a commercial weedeater that you can put a brush blade on (similar to circular saw)

Cut
            Pile/burn
            Treat stumps with Tordon or equivalent

Might be slow go

Personally I would let it go another year and rent a mulcher or pay someone to do it
            This all the way around. I have probably close to 20 hours logged running a weed eater with brush blade attachment on cedars. Hard work but gets it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
              This all the way around. I have probably close to 20 hours logged running a weed eater with brush blade attachment on cedars. Hard work but gets it done.
              This works on cedar as they will simply die from the cut but the OP has root sprouting species (and vigorous ones at that) and like blackmouth was saying the unseen part of this equation is actually the biggest hurdle to leap. He's spot on with his advice.

Comment

On a side note, OP, thanks for posting the topic. It's conversations like these that sets the GS apart, tons of wisdom and information on this site we all benefit from.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbar View Post
                  I know exactly what they are - they are used as root stock for alot of citrus plant, but you gotta start somewhere.
                  you dont go plowing through them like a ------- , you mow into the areas ypou can and then you can work with the rest.

A walk behind brush mower will work you to death - I sell billygoats - been there done that with a few.
                  Zero turn will allow you to selectively cut.
                  I can attest to the billygoat working you to death. They are effective but you will wrestle it all day.

Comment

Originally posted by timberking View Post
                    If you are cutting by hand, you should apply a herbicide so the sprouts don't have you doing the same thing in a couple of years. I like Tordon.
                    This.

I might consider a dozer for a day. To create some work lanes. 30 acres is a lot by hand. I would invest in a small Stihl. Mine is a beast

BP

Comment

I have an Echo trimmer with brush blade and just bought a smaller chainsaw.
                      Have the same scenario as OP but 35 acres, at least 8-10 ac of it open field but the rest is heavy woods and creek bottom. Still considering some skid/mulcher work but waiting on USDA approval of funding. I have some thick stands of cedars, is what I have the brush cutter and chainsaw for but yeah, its a lot of work ... and just in time for the summer. UGGGHHH !!!

Good luck.

Comment

One of these on a stihl straight shaft Weedeater is a bad dude! Easy to sharpen and beats bending over with a chainsaw!

Comment

I have one of these and it is amazing. It can cut through up to about 4” though I think they recommend 2” cuts. It’s impressive. https://m.stihlusa.com/products/trim...clearing-saws/

It’s basically a circular saw weed eater.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                            I have one of these and it is amazing. It can cut through up to about 4” though I think they recommend 2” cuts. It’s impressive. https://m.stihlusa.com/products/trim...clearing-saws/

It’s basically a circular saw weed eater.
                            I am almost positive my old man has this buried in the back of his shop. What type of head do you have on yours?

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                              I am almost positive my old man has this buried in the back of his shop. What type of head do you have on yours?
                              Not certain what it’s called but it’s the standard cutting head that goes on it and the unit has a shoulder strap. Either way it will be a long and tedious project with that large an area but if you have the time and inclination then...

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                                Goats...you need goats
                                Not a frivolous suggestion. I knew someone who had a similar situation, creek bottom too rough to mow. He bought some goats and put up an electric fence around a small part. Let the goats do their thing. Then moved the fence down a little until it was cleared. Then had a bbq. The green method of land clearing.

The brush blades on a weed eater work but you are continually having to stop and clear the debris.

Comment

Working...
                                X