Big Mistake, Lesson Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
    Good lord. It was a joke. There several others of the same nature.
    That's probably a better general assumption... lesson learned on this end.
    As dry as it was, it got me.

Comment

Originally posted by gatt40 View Post
      My wife decided she wanted to go to the Ranch this past weekend. Keep in mind we have been married 40 years. She has gone to ranches & leases with me probably a dozen times, but never during hunting season. She sees going as more of relaxing and get away time. She has helped fill feeders, put up blinds and general “do stuff” to help me get ready for hunts. Again, she has never seen me actually hunt or kill an animal. This past weekend my youngest son and his wife of 8 months were with us. My son was helping me fill protein feeders. When we went back to the cabin in the Gator to get a second load of feed, the girls decided they wanted to ride along. Big mistake. I always bring a rifle along in the event I see a nice exotic or a pig or two. You guessed it, about 8 pigs ran in front of us and I laid out 2 on the dead run with the 6.8 AR. That’s when the crying started and my wife was screaming “ I told you not to shoot”. Of course I never heard he say anything. Both my wife and my new daughter in law ( she was the one crying ) got out of the Gator and started walking back to the cabin. My son and I of course pleaded with them to get back in and we would drive them back to the cabin. They refused, said they would rather walk back than ride with a murderer. When we got back to the cabin after finishing up the feed chore and loading pigs in back of the Gator, we got the silent treatment. Son & DIL loaded up their stuff and headed back to their house. I had to sleep on the couch that night. Lesson learned, no hunting when the wife is present.
      Is this for real. What grown non-drunk person sleeps on the couch? I always thought that was an expression not something someone actually did.

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      I can respect this to a point.....my wife is not a trigger puller either and we have tried to break her of that with a summer of skeet shooting and then dove hunting. She made the effort even going out in the field and she just didn't dig it on live animals. She did love to sit in the field and watch me shoot and Abby work though so that was a plus. Plus she would cross the eyes of any fish she gets a chance too and throws crappie, redfish and trout in the cooler to eat with no issues. That all being said, like your wife she does not pull triggers and I can respect that.

Where I would draw the line is the hissy fit and being called a murderer. That's just flat out ridiculous. If you want respect, as Codie was preaching above, you dang sure better act respectful as well if I make "a mistake". And your poor son.....being made to leave the property spending family time with his folks because sweet princess saw death? I don't even have words for that kinds of crap. My wife and I have been married 21 years and I can't ever recall she or I making one or the other dramatically leave somewhere like that. I'm trying to picture my wife pulling that and the look on my face when she demanded it if not laughter.....and vice versa....the look on her face if I told her we need to leave her families house because something ticked me off would be just as deserving.. I'd get a "you better get over yourself there Mr. Smart and act like an adult" just like she would get if she asked me to do the same. Nip that in the bud quick son!
      +1 on all of this.

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
      wow.
      check yourself, dood. SMH

**edit**
      I don't get jokes!
      Dude doesn't want personal comments he doesn't post personal crap on the dang internet. Joke or no joke.

Comment

Ahhhhhh man... dang

Comment

Where I would draw the line is the hissy fit and being called a murderer. That's just flat out ridiculous. If you want respect, as Codie was preaching above, you dang sure better act respectful as well if I make "a mistake". And your poor son.....being made to leave the property spending family time with his folks because sweet princess saw death? I don't even have words for that kinds of crap. My wife and I have been married 21 years and I can't ever recall she or I making one or the other dramatically leave somewhere like that. I'm trying to picture my wife pulling that and the look on my face when she demanded it if not laughter.....and vice versa....the look on her face if I told her we need to leave her families house because something ticked me off would be just as deserving.. I'd get a "you better get over yourself there Mr. Smart and act like an adult" just like she would get if she asked me to do the same. Nip that in the bud quick son![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=meltingfeather;14044907]Man that's tough... I wonder what they thought happens on a hunting lease.

My wife is further down the spectrum that most of y'all... vegetarian and animal lover. She supports me in hunting and I appreciate that-- especially because it is so difficult for her and she had to grow into the person that could. She's been on hunts with me and we know where the boundary is... I would never pull the trigger in front of her. We have a great marriage and I learn all the time... more from the challenges than from the good times, though those are more enjoyable.

Same here but she'll sit in the stand with me, and doesn't care if I shoot, she doesn't watch when it's trigger pulling time. I just tell her when it's dead. Once it's dead she's immediately scheming on how to cook it. Hence eating coyote earlier this yr. The only meat she will eat is what I kill or catch. Not what anybody else killed or caught, she'll just eat a salad.
          She grew up hunting and fishing though, killed several deer herself, so I'm not sure how she got here lol.

Also, those saying his wife's feelings are validated, not when she's calling him a murderer. That's a whole lot different than simply not wanting to watch something die.
          To me, that would be like my woman being for gun control, and opposing the 2nd. Complete 180° on my views of life. That simply could not abide.

Obviously you can't edit the multi quotes, my bad

Comment

I can respect this to a point.....my wife is not a trigger puller either and we have tried to break her of that with a summer of skeet shooting and then dove hunting. She made the effort even going out in the field and she just didn't dig it on live animals. She did love to sit in the field and watch me shoot and Abby work though so that was a plus. Plus she would cross the eyes of any fish she gets a chance too and throws crappie, redfish and trout in the cooler to eat with no issues. That all being said, like your wife she does not pull triggers and I can respect that.

Where I would draw the line is the hissy fit and being called a murderer. That's just flat out ridiculous. If you want respect, as Codie was preaching above, you dang sure better act respectful as well if I make "a mistake". And your poor son.....being made to leave the property spending family time with his folks because sweet princess saw death? I don't even have words for that kinds of crap. My wife and I have been married 21 years and I can't ever recall she or I making one or the other dramatically leave somewhere like that. I'm trying to picture my wife pulling that and the look on my face when she demanded it if not laughter.....and vice versa....the look on her face if I told her we need to leave her families house because something ticked me off would be just as deserving.. I'd get a "you better get over yourself there Mr. Smart and act like an adult" just like she would get if she asked me to do the same. Nip that in the bud quick son!
            Best post of the day

Comment

Some of the responses are crazy as heck, lol.

Nothing but good luck to your Son. Sounds like your Son introduced something to the young lady that she wasn't ready for. It's an obstacle, but obviously she knows your Son and the Family, so it shouldn't be an issue going forward.

Same with your wife. You know her and she knows you. Who cares what anyone else thinks of what she says or calls you. As long as you're good with it.

My Better Half has called me worse than a murderer - She still loves the heck out of me most of the time

Comment

I have no idea what to say, OP...I'm just glad I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum my wife will kill anything that is legal, and won't hesitate guess being raised spending every free minute in the Big Thicket with her Papa taking her everywhere and doing everything outdoors with her paid off for me

And Congratulations on 40 years, sir...thats a heck of an accomplishment

Comment

I agree completely that only ONE of the people involved in the incident reacted to the others disrespectful mistake in an adult manner (The OP by giving her the space she thought she needed at the time WHILE SHE WAS BEING DISRESPECTFUL). You give respect whether you are getting it in return or not, no matter who it is. If you want someone to respect you unconditionally, you show them how to respect others unconditionally. It is really easy to find fault in others disrespectful actions and overlook our own in the midst of it and it is also really easy to react to disrespect towards us by fighting it with additional dis-respect from our side, but that isn't going to fix or correct a thing. I completely understand that most folks do not agree with this and think you should "stand up for yourself" and "demand respect". Different strokes for different folks

Comment

if that was my wife---we would probably not be together much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                      They can make a farmersonly.com account and double date with a pig shoot at the ranch.
                      Lol!!!

Comment

Are yall still believing this guys story?

I guess solid troll post on his part. Well done, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          You're right lesson learned
                          And that lesson would be that`s her last trip to the lease / ranch or whatever ! Period !

Comment

I'd be in some serious trouble, I would have started laughing when they started crying. What did they think was going to happen on a hunting lease?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              I'm reminded of the first and only time my wife ever got in the boat with me. I didn't give it much thought, idle out to the buoys, stomp the throttle, jack it up, and were doing about 71 in 2 footers. It wasn't the smoothest boat ever, but holding the wheel (behind the windshield) it wasn't a bad ride. She had a considerably more difficult ride (single console bass boat) trying to hang on well enough to not fly out, while also keeping track of a swimsuit top and things contained within...with tears streaming across her face and unable to speak! [emoji23] she was so mad she couldn't see when she got out of the boat, and the more I laughed, the madder she got![emoji23][emoji23]

She still refuses to ride in a boat that I'm driving.[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Smart wife. 71 in in 2 footers will beat the crap out of ya.

Comment

My wife is fine with hunting and does herself. She does get mad if we kill coons around her because “ they have little people hands”. I just don’t kill coons around he and there is one in a trap I just wait until she isn’t sitting right there.

Comment

Working...
                                X