Class c Family violence advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    I’ve given people courtesy rides for a few Class C violations including “No Front LP”. I am a firm believer in you earn what you get. They earned it.
    So you're an officer? How many people do you see get family violence charges dismissed or reduced?

Comment

Originally posted by castlegaphunter View Post
      So you're an officer? How many people do you see get family violence charges dismissed or reduced?
      It depends on a number of factors. Prosecutors can and do try these cases without the complaining witness.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

So for the PD I work for handles class C assault f/v is this way. Offensive contact where the parties can be separated the suspect gets a ticket. If they cannot be separated the suspect is arrested.

If it is a he said, she said deal and there is no way figure it out we try to get them to separate for the night or the suspect is gone and we do a report and refer them to our city attorney for prosecution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My first wife served me with divorce papers that included wording of abuse. I called her and said I have never physically or verbally abused you. She agreed but said her lawyer put that in there. I told her to remove it or I would fight it in court and she would have to lie under oath. She had the lawyer remove that part.

Comment

These charges are dropped often. Prosecutors weigh cases. They are not going to take a lot of time and effort with a weak case that they have little to no chance of winning in court. Most dockets are so behind and overbooked they have to run business in this manner

Comment

Originally posted by Robertt View Post
              My first wife served me with divorce papers that included wording of abuse. I called her and said I have never physically or verbally abused you. She agreed but said her lawyer put that in there. I told her to remove it or I would fight it in court and she would have to lie under oath. She had the lawyer remove that part.
              Lawyers suck

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Family violence can be attached to any assault including assault class C by contact or by threat. If convicted of any family violence offense then there is a Federal Statute that kicks in barring the offender from possession of a firearm for life. The real issue is that Class C offenses are not reported on a criminal history. So there is a loophole where someone could possibly purchase a gun approved by the state and be unknowingly in violation of federal statute.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  These charges are dropped often. Prosecutors weigh cases. They are not going to take a lot of time and effort with a weak case that they have little to no chance of winning in court. Most dockets are so behind and overbooked they have to run business in this manner
                  That's sometimes true. Except in larger counties that have a dedicated Family Violence prosecution office. Harris county has a office that takes over FV cases and they are hard to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by castlegaphunter View Post
                    Sorry guys, meant class A. Not C.dont think there is a c family violence charge
                    Family Violence is not a crime in Texas. FV is a requirement for the police and others to do certain things like make a police report, give handouts containing certain information, etc.

Class C assaults (offensive contact or threats) are included in FV laws. So... a report doesn’t necessarily means an assault with injures (Class A) but it certainly could be.

The definitions on who is covered by FV laws in Texas is fairly extensive (and stupid in my opinion).

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                      Family Violence is not a crime in Texas. FV is a requirement for the police and others to do certain things like make a police report, give handouts containing certain information, etc.

Class C assaults (offensive contact or threats) are included in FV laws. So... a report doesn’t necessarily means an assault with injures (Class A) but it certainly could be.

The definitions on who is covered by FV laws in Texas is fairly extensive (and stupid in my opinion).
                      It's very broad.

Comment

Working...
                      X