Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
    MC, you have any recipes for ceviche?
    Ceviche is one of the simplest things on earth to make. Personally I prefer tuna. Though I must say this first.

You should never consume raw or under cooked food. It could cause foodborne illness.

Okay, start with the freshest fish you can find, never buy previously frozen. Shop at a fish shop that is always busy, ie Central Market. Ask for sushi grade Tuna or Salmon. Or catch your own Large Mouth bass. Filet and chill. My second favorite behind Tuna.

Remember this is a fresh dish, so let's not muddy the Flavors.

Start
    Dice up your 1# of fish in 1/4 to 3/8 inch cubes, place in freezer once done.

Now decide this: Original, Spicy, Spanish, Sweet and Savory.

Original: dice 1/4 of a fresh red onion 1/4"
    Mix together a mixture of the following. 1/4 cup proseco or moscato blanco sparkling white wine (at HEB), 2 T Brown Sugar, Juice of one lemon. Season fish with Sea Salt, and top with wet mix and onion above. Stir well, place in fridge for 30 minutes then serve. I usually eat it with toasted French bread.

Spanish: Dice a 1/4 of a red onion, 1 Serrano (seeds optional) pepper, and Cilantro all 1/4" then add in 2 T brown sugar, and the juice of two limes, and 2 T of Tequila (optional). Season fish with sea salt. Just enough to season. Combine with fish and let marinate in fridge for 30 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips. Blue corn preferred.

Spicy: Mix together 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper and a 1/4 teaspoon of granulated garlic, and a 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon of paprika, and 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar. Sprinkle over fish and mix together, add juice of one lemon, and 2 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce. Try it on Bagel chips.

Sweet and Savory
    Dice 1/4 of a red onion in 1/4" dices, dice 1 1/4 cup of fresh pineapple or mango in 1/4" dices. Mix together 3 Tablespoons of soy sauce and juice of one lemon. Mix everything together and sprinkle fish with 3 Tablespoons of brown sugar. Let marinate in fridge for 30 minutes. Try it on a savory rice cake.

VoilĂ . Let me know what you think!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Eagle2 View Post
      Years ago their was a Seafood restaurant in Dallas,Called the Windjammer and they had the best Garlic cole slaw that I have ever had.I wish that I had that receipe.
      Thanks for the lead. I'm still looking.

Comment

gonna cook the quesadillas tonight with doves. never crossed my mind to use wild birds in 'em. thanks a bunch.

Comment

Thanks for the ceviche tips. Hope to try it next time were at the house in POC. Being that is the tail end of duck season, have anything that requires quacker?

Comment

Thanks for the ceviche tips. Hope to try it next time were at the house in POC. Being that is the tail end of duck season, have anything that requires quacker?
            Yes, feed it to the dogs!

What are you in the mood for? Spanish, Latin, American, Asian?

Comment

Fresh trout or red would be phenomenal as well in ceviche.

Comment

Well to be honest it's my first year to duck hunt so any ideas ya have would be nice. As far as ceviche goes I've never made it with tuna but it's great with fresh trout or red. We made some country fried duck and it was pretty good. Too good for the dog for sure.

Comment

Well to be honest it's my first year to duck hunt so any ideas ya have would be nice. As far as ceviche goes I've never made it with tuna but it's great with fresh trout or red. We made some country fried duck and it was pretty good. Too good for the dog for sure.
                  Okay, I'll quit stalling.

Butterfly your duck breast and remove the skin. Season simply with salt and pepper and a pinch of Tyme. Pan sear till golden brown with a little olive oil. Take 1 cup of dried cranberries, 1 cup of 100% cranberry juice and 3 Tablespoons of corn starch, mix all that until starch is dissolved. Remove duck from pan and pour in sauce. Let simmer and scrape pan.

Once simmering place duck back in, remove from heat and let stand covered for 3 minutes. Serve!

Comment

There is a place in Texas City that used to be called Fisherman's Reef, it burned down and re-opened as The Reef probably about 15 years ago. Any Galveston County residents will know the place.

Anyway, my question is... Do you have a recipe for Green tomato relish?
                    That place serves a bowl of cole slaw, green tomato relish, and hush puppies as soon as you sit down. (Kinda like Mexican places bring out chips and salsa)

It seems that its pretty much just tomatoes and onions. I've seen recipes online but most call for bell peppers and other stuff added in. Even the ones that dont call for extra stuff just dont "sound" right.

I know it sounds awful picky, but I'm really after that flavor I remember from when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                      There is a place in Texas City that used to be called Fisherman's Reef, it burned down and re-opened as The Reef probably about 15 years ago. Any Galveston County residents will know the place.

Anyway, my question is... Do you have a recipe for Green tomato relish?
                      That place serves a bowl of cole slaw, green tomato relish, and hush puppies as soon as you sit down. (Kinda like Mexican places bring out chips and salsa)

It seems that its pretty much just tomatoes and onions. I've seen recipes online but most call for bell peppers and other stuff added in. Even the ones that dont call for extra stuff just dont "sound" right.

I know it sounds awful picky, but I'm really after that flavor I remember from when I was a kid.
                      Can you tell me the original owners name? That will help.

Comment

Jerry Bulgherini

Comment

Before you spend too much time figuring this out....they sell the stuff in quart jars at the restaurant. I could get a few next time I go home.
                          I just thought you might know of something off hand.

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                            Before you spend too much time figuring this out....they sell the stuff in quart jars at the restaurant. I could get a few next time I go home.
                            I just thought you might know of something off hand.
                            If you could get me a jar I could break it down fairly easy.

Comment

Some of the finest recipes i've ever seen.All with ingredients I can pronounce! Tortilla soup,outstanding.(why in the world I never thought to make dove quesadillas I'll never know) thanks a bunch.

Comment

Thanks for the recipes. Gonna try a few in the future. Ill report back. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                                X