Obligatory tailgate photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obligatory tailgate photo

After winning a private land dove hunt in the drawn hunts, today is officially my first day to ever dove hunt. What a fun hunt. It was me and three friends in Young County. They set us up in a back corner and that seemed to be the hottest spot and time all day.

We were there at sun up, left and sun down and took about an hour and a half lunch break. Seven birds between the four of us... not the numbers we hoped for, but a good time with friends nonetheless. The best part that the outfitter, since he had been canceling all of his other hunts due to lack of birds, offered a free hunt in October to make right by us. He said that he woulda canceled if he could have, but that he couldn't due to the contract with the state. So we can call today practice and hopefully those northern birds are here by the time October rolls around. I ended up with three after the morning and 1 shot all afternoon and evening.
    Attached Files

Clay, congratulations, you can now call yourself a dove hunter. And dove hunter describes most of us, except for the dove shooters who are the lucky ones with the sore shoulders down in Córdoba, Argentina.

At first you will begin to track the “birds per box” count most of us start out keeping. Then some time you will realize that count doesn’t matter, and no one really cares. The only important count are the days out in the dove fields with your shotgun. Now a limit of birds is always cool, but a good time with friends is also what dove hunting is about. From now on thinking about September dove hunting will help get you through a hellish North TX August.

Good luck on that October Young County dove hunt, let us know how you do.

Comment

Nice, and you have the right attitude.

Comment

Congrats clay! You have fun AND you already have another booked for Oct. How cool is that?!

Jalapeño Dove Popper time! Enjoy buddy

Comment

Originally posted by louieagarcia View Post
          Congrats clay! You have fun AND you already have another booked for Oct. How cool is that?!

Jalapeño Dove Popper time! Enjoy buddy
          They are going on the smoker today!

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
            Clay, congratulations, you can now call yourself a dove hunter. And dove hunter describes most of us, except for the dove shooters who are the lucky ones with the sore shoulders down in Córdoba, Argentina.

At first you will begin to track the “birds per box” count most of us start out keeping. Then some time you will realize that count doesn’t matter, and no one really cares. The only important count are the days out in the dove fields with your shotgun. Now a limit of birds is always cool, but a good time with friends is also what dove hunting is about. From now on thinking about September dove hunting will help get you through a hellish North TX August.

Good luck on that October Young County dove hunt, let us know how you do.
            I will definitely let you know how we fare! Thanks for reading.

Comment

Cool! Glad you got drawn and got some birds.

I dont know if the birds you were supposed to see are northern birds. I just drove up to south east Dakota last week and didnt see any birds. Took backroads through grain (currently doing some harvesting) country. None, all the way back to texas....

How far north are these northern birds supposed to be?

Comment

That's a good landowner.

Comment

Working...
                X