Construction folks.. Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Construction folks.. Question

Was curious if anyone has utilized any of the weather stations you see on amazon or the internet for job sites to help keep track of the weather better onsite? Budget is up to 1,000$ ball park.

Looking to try one out here soon to help with "rain/weather days" and what not the both my team and our CM can utilize for more accurate information.

Looking for any recommendations and if it can be integrated with procore even better (but doesn't look like there are many, if any, options for that).

Thanks

I just use an excel template and export it to the dailys on procore. Free and works pretty good for us anyways

Comment

We typically appoint one person to record weather conditions everyday. This is either a project manager or someone assisting the PM and they can use whatever weather app they like. The argument at the end of the job isn’t usually about weather it’s about what constitutes a rain day lol and did this day or that day rain for however long.

The best app for keeping track of weather use to be weather underground when they had the calendar feature. You could pull up any weather station and go back to any month and find all weather conditions for the area. Can’t seem to find it these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
        We typically appoint one person to record weather conditions everyday. This is either a project manager or someone assisting the PM and they can use whatever weather app they like. The argument at the end of the job isn’t usually about weather it’s about what constitutes a rain day lol and did this day or that day rain for however long.

The best app for keeping track of weather use to be weather underground when they had the calendar feature. You could pull up any weather station and go back to any month and find all weather conditions for the area. Can’t seem to find it these days

I think OP is trying to figure out a local weather station so that he can avoid the bold section above. The Contract should define a rain day. Then on your dailies, you record a rain day, with a rainfall total (Which is what OP is looking for with a local weather station), then identify mud days/lost production days for dewatering after a rain event. A good contract will have those defined as well, but it's a heck of a lot easier to take the position that 1 day of rain means 2 days of downtime because of dewatering depending on what your scope is (Earthworks and foundations being the primary impacts).

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          I think OP is trying to figure out a local weather station so that he can avoid the bold section above. The Contract should define a rain day. Then on your dailies, you record a rain day, with a rainfall total (Which is what OP is looking for with a local weather station), then identify mud days/lost production days for dewatering after a rain event. A good contract will have those defined as well, but it's a heck of a lot easier to take the position that 1 day of rain means 2 days of downtime because of dewatering depending on what your scope is (Earthworks and foundations being the primary impacts).
          This is correct ^^^^

Just trying to make the weather info as accurate as possible with something here at our office within the district I work in.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

Yeah they’re always defined, I’ve just seen people argue about days even knowing the defining terms for rain days. I’d also add two days of downtime for a rain day is kind of crazy to me, but you aren’t the man I want to argue with about project schedules[emoji23] Makes it easier to have a point man using one application for weather and observing project conditions. If OP can find an integrated service that has access to the nearest weather station that would be great, just seems like you’re spending money on something that could be free and takes little to no time to record.

Comment

If you have a lightning stand down policy you want to be sure and get a system with a lightning detector that records so you can justify that. I was recently on a project in central Louisiana that required us to stop all outside work for 30 minutes when lightning was detected within a certain distance from the project. I believe it was 15 miles. This was expensive with 200+ people affected.

Comment

Yeah they’re always defined, I’ve just seen people argue about days even knowing the defining terms for rain days.

I wish they were always defined LOL we have a project now where one side is arguing the total rainfall is the correct way to measure impact, and the other side is saying number of days of rainfall is what matters.

Add to this, the side arguing total rainfall should be the correct measurement is also using the relative humidity and the solar index to measure how fast the soil should have dried out. And this doesn't include the fact that the site is 10 square miles, so one side may be getting hit while the other is sunny.

Sorry OP for derailing your thread. It's always good to see a proactive step in measuring site weather conditions. From a claims perspective, just about any on site monitor is better than having to find the nearest weather station and them justify first why that is the right weather station to use, second being what constitutes a weather day. Especially when you put into procore as a contemporaneous project record.

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
                  If you have a lightning stand down policy you want to be sure and get a system with a lightning detector that records so you can justify that. I was recently on a project in central Louisiana that required us to stop all outside work for 30 minutes when lightning was detected within a certain distance from the project. I believe it was 15 miles. This was expensive with 200+ people affected.

The head safety guys at chevron had 5 miles. Truck just pulled chutes out and 5.5 miles away a strike lit. The head facility guy over rode the safety guy and told us to pour. We pulled it off but I should have cancelled that day.

Comment

I have used the accurate systems that you can get at academy.

Comment

Check out Don Days' website. He may offer services that could help you , or the weather instruments to record data for your work sites.

Dayweather weather forecasting and meteorology, including weather forecasting equipment for sale, and custom weather forecasts for radio stations, newspapers, farmers, ranchers, and more.

Comment

Yeah they’re always defined, I’ve just seen people argue about days even knowing the defining terms for rain days. I’d also add two days of downtime for a rain day is kind of crazy to me, but you aren’t the man I want to argue with about project schedules[emoji23] Makes it easier to have a point man using one application for weather and observing project conditions. If OP can find an integrated service that has access to the nearest weather station that would be great, just seems like you’re spending money on something that could be free and takes little to no time to record.

Two days ain't enough in many cases for us concrete guys and them earthwork guys.

Comment

Check out StormGeo.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                            Two days ain't enough in many cases for us concrete guys and them earthwork guys.
                            This...I'll make more of a mess of the jobsite trying to get my crews through the muck than it's worth. And if it's it's the shade or cool it may be 4 days or more

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X