No announcement yet.

Walnut must be rare!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood, especially nice wood costs more and the average consumer doesn't care about anything but a cheap price, hence all the tupperware guns you see nowadays. A custom rifle with a quality synthetic stock is dang nice, but give me my wood stock fuddy-06 over the 6.5 hipster any day.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
      Because man these gun manufacturers are sure making some ugly guns these days... I sure miss all of the high luster bluing and beautiful wood of yesteryear...
      It sad to see everything these days in plastic and matte black or very cheap looking wood.
      What in the heck happened????
      It's not plastic, it's "space age polymers".

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
        Have you priced a 2X4 lately??

Seriously love the shiny wood and blue finish. However stressing about a nick or scratch takes away the fun factor some.
        This is me and why I dont buy them. I have a CZ shotgun that has a wood stock on it and I have one little ding by the butt pad and it is all I see every time I pick it up. I dont throw my stuff around, but I use them and **** happens. I have some of my FIL old guns but they stay in the safe instead of using them. The wood is beautiful on them.

Comment

Walnut must be rare!!

I have a few firearms with wood. They don’t get used. I’m rough on my stuff and I don’t want to worry about it. Heck, I only clean them when they stop functioning or the rust gets too bad.

Finally had to clean my thermal rifle a couple months ago because I was having to hammer on the charging handle to load/unload it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by 175gr7.62; 09-13-2021, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
            It's not plastic, it's "space age polymers".
            Oh yea that's what I mean.... A blend of vinyl, polyethylene and recycled water bottles with black die added. Plastic..

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
              The gun manufacturers build what sells. The black plastic rifles are the in thing now. Man there’s nothing more beautiful than a finely crafted rifle, with a marbled walnut stock.
              Agreed. Guys wanted $299 rifles. I think it’s good for high school aged kids to have something they can afford, but they shouldn’t be the majority of what’s on the racks now.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                Agreed. Guys wanted $299 rifles. I think it’s good for high school aged kids to have something they can afford, but they shouldn’t be the majority of what’s on the racks now.
                I’m glad I am not the only one that thinks this.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                  The gun manufacturers build what sells. The black plastic rifles are the in thing now. Man there’s nothing more beautiful than a finely crafted rifle, with a marbled walnut stock.
                  Quality walnut is very nice, but insanely priced to build a complete custom rifle. I just had this English walnut blank appraised at $3,000

It was used for this custom built Cooper. Replacement value to build this exact rifle today would cost $6,000. 5-8 years from now it will cost you $7500.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                    Quality walnut is very nice, but insanely priced to build a complete custom rifle. I just had this English walnut blank appraised at $3,000

It was used for this custom built Cooper. Replacement value to build this exact rifle today would cost $6,000. 5-8 years from now it will cost you $7500.

That is a gorgeous piece of work right there but dang that is crazy what that wood cost..

Comment

Here's a couple walnut rifles for you
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                        Give us more info on that top one!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          Give us more info on that top one!
                          That is my 404 Jeffery Built by Reto Buehler out of Oregon. I used my Afghanistan deployment money for that one to be built. Her name is Larue. I flew up there and got fitted for it. That thing points at whatever I want faster than I can think about it.

Comment

Here is an article on his blog about tough use and walnut rifles.

Comment

I would say that a .22 has killed more deer in Texas than any other gun.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                                That 404 is killer. Great looking rifle. I am in the process of building a very very similar looking rifle to yours, only it will be a 30-06 with slightly different checkering. The modern looking rifles are all the rage right now, and for good reason...but for some reason the last 2 rifles I have purchased have been an all original K15 Kleinguenther and a Mark V Deluxe 257wby lol.
                                Cannot beat the blued/wood rifles!

Comment

Working...
                                X