No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw 4 bulls this morning while scouting. BIG 6x6, another nice 6x6, a 5x5 and a raghorn bull. Pretty excited!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
      Little FYI for those coming to NM for Elk.

Prepare yourselves for mask mandates while out using local businesses.
      The governor put her mask mandates back in place starting 08/20/21.

In an effort to curb the rising number of COVID-19 cases, the governor announced a mask mandate for all public indoor spaces, regardless of vaccination status, which she was hopeful would be enough to blunt the spread of the COVID-19 Delta variant.

“We’re going to use masks and vaccines to blunt the spread of COVID and see if we can’t rebalance where we are as a state, particularly given the Delta variant,” Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said during a press conference on Tuesday.

The mask mandate will go into place on Friday, Aug. 20 and last until at least Sept. 15

I’ll probably just not wear one like I have the whole time lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So I'm new to elk hunting and will be going in a couple weeks. If say I'm fortunate to get one, can you guys with more experience tell me what you do as far as processing it when you get home? I was thinking of turning the straps into steaks and the neck/rib/extra trim into burger. Not sure what to do with the leg quarters? I usually grind my deer hind quarters. I'd love to get some salami and sausage done at the processor, guess I can use the hind quarter for this.

Comment

It's just a really big deer at the end of the day.

Having said that it's way better tasting then WT and among the best of the deer family.

If you do your own or have it done consider having more steaks and or roast cut.

Take a look at some game processing or cooking shows such as the meat eater. He does a great slow cooked roast from the front shoulder blade. I've done this preparation on WT, elk cow and red deer hind which all came out. Steaks from the hind quarter or small roast are great as well.

You'll still have a couple of deer worth of trimmings for sausage. Or better yet use your deer lease wt for sausage.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

On mine from last year I had as many steaks as I could made out of it and burger and sausage the rest. I wouldn't want any bit that could be made into steaks as burgers. I just wish I had kept 4 roasts instead of just 2.

Way better than deer. If was wanting salami or sausage etc. Would just use deer meat. Would be a waste of elk meat to me anyway.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Bowtech Lefty;15768697]So I'm new to elk hunting and will be going in a couple weeks. If say I'm fortunate to get one, can you guys with more experience tell me what you do as far as processing it when you get home? I was thinking of turning the straps into steaks and the neck/rib/extra trim into burger. Not sure what to do with the leg quarters? I usually grind my deer hind quarters. I'd love to get some salami and sausage done at the processor, guess I can use the hind quarter for this.[/

Tenderized cutlets with most of the hams. Perfect size for chicken fried steak. We cut it into strips and use it in stir fry all the time. Steaks are much bigger than what you would get from a deer. I have them run it thru the tenderized twice. You can plan on 250-300 pounds of boned out meat if you kill a mature bull. Good luck.

Comment

Great info guys, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
                  Saw 4 bulls this morning while scouting. BIG 6x6, another nice 6x6, a 5x5 and a raghorn bull. Pretty excited!
                  Those are some studs! You have me pumped for September.

Comment

We get steaks out of every cut we can on elk.
                    Age it first if you can, before cutting it up.
                    The flat irons are on those shoulder blades, don't burger or roast them.
                    Even the shanks are great, ossobuco.
                    You'll get lots of neck meat, rib trimmings and other trimmings for burger. Parts of the shoulder too go into burger.
                    The tender lions have a different type of muscle bundles so to speak. They do not all run in 1 direction like deer tenders. It may seem tough but it's just the way the muscles run. Cut across the grain and they are great.
                    We do add 10% beef suet to our burger, we eat plenty of very lean game meat otherwise.
                    If you grind your own burger. we made some stew meat by running it through the grinder with the 4 hole plate, 1/2 inch or so big holes.

Comment

Just got my Private Land New Mexico tag for Sept 7th - 11th. Myself and a buddy are going with Tao Pueblo and staying in Eagles Nest. I am pumped!

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                        We get steaks out of every cut we can on elk.
                        Age it first if you can, before cutting it up.
                        The flat irons are on those shoulder blades, don't burger or roast them.
                        Even the shanks are great, ossobuco.
                        You'll get lots of neck meat, rib trimmings and other trimmings for burger. Parts of the shoulder too go into burger.
                        The tender lions have a different type of muscle bundles so to speak. They do not all run in 1 direction like deer tenders. It may seem tough but it's just the way the muscles run. Cut across the grain and they are great.
                        We do add 10% beef suet to our burger, we eat plenty of very lean game meat otherwise.
                        If you grind your own burger. we made some stew meat by running it through the grinder with the 4 hole plate, 1/2 inch or so big holes.
                        Getting as many steaks out of an elk is what I want, thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                          Just got my Private Land New Mexico tag for Sept 7th - 11th. Myself and a buddy are going with Tao Pueblo and staying in Eagles Nest. I am pumped!
                          Your the first I have personally heard of getting to hunt on the Taos Pueblo. Cannot wait to read all about it.

Comment

That is a cool area. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
                              Getting as many steaks out of an elk is what I want, thanks for the feedback!
                              Just don't cut out too many steaks haha. Even though elk is good, steaks all the time will burn you out on them. Atleast it does to me. Good luck hope you get to cut some!

Comment

Awesome! Glad to hear that all worked out after all. Can't wait to see how that goes.

Comment

Working...
                                X