Favorite truck camp/ bunk camp meals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite truck camp/ bunk camp meals

What are your favorite meals for truck camping or minimalist bunk camping? Will have a Coleman stove sand two pans and be cleaning with a 5 gallon jug of water.

Go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brisket, lasagna, tamales, king ranch casserole, chili... Pretty much anything that freezes well and can be put into a vac seal bag. I vac sealed everything, took jet burner and a pot of water, and when it was time to eat I brought the pot of water to a boil and threw in the vac seal bag to heat it up. Zero mess this way and you can reuse your water. Of course this only works for truck camping.

Wish I was going with you!

Comment

hard be beat just good old cast iron cooked steak or hamburgers.

Comment

kountry boy sausage. Fry it in the pan or over a fire. use a tortilla to wrap it instead of a bun. The tortillas don't get smashed and are easy to pack compared to buns.

Comment

Next Mile Meals and Outpost Backpacking Meals.

They are legit good. Not like, oh good for freeze dried food good. More like I would rather have these freeze dried meals over a sandwich and chips good. I ate one this weekend for lunch. And you only need a jet boil.

Just FYI, you need to order them months in advance in some cases. And they sell out constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
            Brisket, lasagna, tamales, king ranch casserole, chili... Pretty much anything that freezes well and can be put into a vac seal bag. I vac sealed everything, took jet burner and a pot of water, and when it was time to eat I brought the pot of water to a boil and threw in the vac seal bag to heat it up. Zero mess this way and you can reuse your water. Of course this only works for truck camping.

Wish I was going with you!
            Perfect.

Comment

I cook several huge pots of gumbo after duck season. Freeze it and use all on hunting trips

Comment

We ate a bunch of what we called Hobo Dinners, I've heard them called a bunch of different things. Hamburger patty, potatoes, carrots, onions, etc all wrapped in foil with some seasoning and thrown in the coals. I like the freezing and reheating in water idea mentioned above too.

Comment

Red beans and rice with sausage. Meat, taters, vegetables wrapped in foil and throw on coals.

Comment

Fried Spam!

Comment

Venison Mac & Cheese, Cowboys beans, Shredded chicken, lime, onion & cilantro / tortilla or chips. Fully cooked, vac sealed and frozen. I don't want to be cleaning up dirty dishes.

Comment

With a 2 burner stove and 2 pans, the sky is the limit. Anything you eat at home. I will say one of my favorite meals in any hunting camp is S*** on Shingles or known as meat and gravy for the kids.

Comment

hunt with a Cajun buddy and my favorite is his gumbo, and we fight over the leftovers when we are packing up on Sunday to go home.

Comment

Like Hockley mentioned, anything that freezes well and can be thrown in a pot of hot water to heat up.

Spaghetti or any type of pasta, chili, red beans and rice, are some of my favorites; just cut the corner of the bag once it's heated up and pour it into your bowl/mug. Very easy to save/seal the leftovers when only a corner of the bag is cut.

You can also freeze and heat breakfast tacos this way; less of a mess to clean up and quicker than cooking eggs, bacon, tortillas etc each morning.

Side note: Cook the noodles for any pasta beforehand and freeze them separate from the sauce; only cook them about 85% of the way; they will steam a bit in the bag.

Comment

Forgot about the pre-made breakfast tacos, we did that too and worked out great!

Comment

Working...
                              X