hog field care for the dinner table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hog field care for the dinner table?

i killed a couple hogs at the double l a few years back,we immediately skined and quartered and put on ice within an hour of the kill,they stayed on ice for the remainder of the trip and flight home 2 days. when i went to eat, the meat tasted very rancid should i have deboned them,ive heard that will make them do that?im going to try to get a few on my exotic hunt in a couple weeks,thanks for your help.

Bill

Did you keep draining the water and adding ice?

Comment

Originally posted by aggiebowhunter View Post
      Did you keep draining the water and adding ice?

yes,we did and drained it all for the flight,and put dry ice on em to reduce the weight.

Comment

I asked the guys at Kuby's sausage house in Dallas about that and I was told the most important thing you can do is get it on ice as fast as possible. If you shoot a big one during the warm months it is almost impossible to cool it down inside and out before the bacteria goes to work on the meat. If you want one to eat with the best taste, shoot one that is about 70-80 lbs, gut it immediatly and stick it in a cooler as fast as possible with the inside cavity area packed with ice until you can get to where you are going to butcher it.

Comment

With the dry ice did the meat freeze and thaw out again?

Comment

Ive noticed that unpackaged meat will sometimes have a strange taste when packaged with dry ice.

With my hunters I clean the hog as fast as I can. I wash him out with water real good and this helps to cool him down if he is warm. Then I hang them in the walk in atleast over night, then I cut them up the next day.

Only bones I send home with the hunters are ribs, shoulder blades and ham bones. I layer the cooler with ice on the bottom then meat then ice.

You can get hotspots with hot meat without good layers of ice that will ruin the whole batch.

I tell my hunters to keep adding ice and drain the water until it runs clear. Then all the blood and impurities have been drawn out of the meat.

Comment

dry ice is no good from what i have heard

Comment

Our local meat processor firmly believes that your meat should be on ice within 15 minutes of the kill, or else the meat will be ruined. I can do it in about 30 to 40 minutes, and have never had a problem with the meat. I do keep it on ice for atleast a week though, draining the water constantly, but I process them myself. I know if I were to take it to a processor, then they would hang them in the fridge for atleast that long. You may just not have left it on ice long enough. I never debone them while the meat is on ice. As far as dry ice goes, I personally would never us it myself. The vapors are pure carbon dioxide gas, so you may have carbonated the meat...

Comment

Just add 1 cup of vinegar and half a bottle of lemon juice everyday after you drain and re-ice and fill with water and it will have no bad taste or smell at all when you are finished. If the meat turns green which will not hurt it you added to much vinegar.

Comment

It is even better when we leave there with no bones and everything is vacuum sealed and on ice. You do a great job!

Originally posted by aggiebowhunter View Post
                    Ive noticed that unpackaged meat will sometimes have a strange taste when packaged with dry ice.

With my hunters I clean the hog as fast as I can. I wash him out with water real good and this helps to cool him down if he is warm. Then I hang them in the walk in atleast over night, then I cut them up the next day.

Only bones I send home with the hunters are ribs, shoulder blades and ham bones. I layer the cooler with ice on the bottom then meat then ice.

You can get hotspots with hot meat without good layers of ice that will ruin the whole batch.

I tell my hunters to keep adding ice and drain the water until it runs clear. Then all the blood and impurities have been drawn out of the meat.

Comment

Lots of good info for taking care of downed hogs when I get to go.

Comment

Hade the same problem with hog I shot. Had ice on it within an hour of the animal dying and on ice for three days. Draining it and adding more ice daily. Took to syracuse meats and the sausage turned out great. BUt hams and all the other cuts stank when I tried cooking them. I have been told depending on what they have been eating has alot to do with the taste. Next itme i will cut off some of the backstrap and fry it before I pay to have processed. If it stinks while cooking turn it into sausage or throw it away.

Comment

whoa

Comment

i have also been told it depends on what they have been eating. we have killed a hog and cooked parts of it that nite at camp and put the rest on ice. i have never had any problems. it has always been in the winter months, maybe that makes a difference. i dont know

Comment

Working...
                            X