X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AB Guthrie's "The Big Sky" and "The Way West" are good

Comment

Originally posted by rjs68 View Post
      Moss Mallards and Mules by Bob Brister. Short hunting and fishing stories that take place in Texas and Louisiana.
      This is a great book.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
        Why I thought it was odd is because the only other woman he ever remotely had feelings for was the spinster Mary Cole in Lonesome Dove and he could not even speak with her hardly. I always thought of him as a bachelor cowboy

He got a lot of prodding by Clara if I remember correctly when Lorie was reminiscing about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Legit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another couple if you are a military history buff---Civil War specifically.

Killer Angels---novel about the Battle Of Gettysburg
            Soul of a Lion - about Joshua Chamberlain, a college rhetoric professor from Maine who volunteered without any military experience, and commanded the unit which defended Little Round Top at Gettysburg. He is also the only soldier who received a battlefield promotion by General Grant, and was chosen by Grant to accept Lee's army surrender at Appomattox.

Comment

It’s called Rio Grande by Jan Reid. It’s better than I hoped It’s a bunch of short stories by well read author

Comment

Last of the dough boys. Great book about WWI from the guys that where in it.

Comment

All of Jim Kjelgaards books. If you are a fraction of an outdoorsman you would love all of his books.

My favorites are Snow Dog and Wild Trek (2 part series).

Lots of good hunting and survival stuff in there

Comment

Jack Hinson's One-Man War.

True story of a Tennessee farmer who wished to remain neutral in the Civil War, but Yankee brutality turned him into perhaps the greatest sniper ever. An amazing story and timely reading considering all that's going on now.

Comment

Erik Larson, great author, his books are;

Issac's Storm, The Splendid and the Vile, In the Garden of Beasts, and more.

They are historical events of different times and places.

Comment

Just finished A Woman of No Importance by Sonia Purcell about World War II Allied spies in France before and after the D-Day invasion. If you are interested in this topic, you will enjoy it.

Comment

Just leaving this here to add to the collection. I’m somewhat of a librarian myself

Comment

Originally posted by Charrison View Post
                            This right here. If you like hunting and adventure, nobody is better than Wilbur Smith. The entire Courtney family series is awesome. A Time to Die is my favorite- best description of a lion hunt I've ever read. But I agree with the above- start with A Lion Feeds and you will be hooked.

Also check out Clive Cussler if you enjoy the marine adventure stuff.
                            After reading y'alls post I picked up When a Lion Feeds and have now completed the Courtney series!! I couldn't put them down!

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                              https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=777669

Just leaving this here to add to the collection. I’m somewhat of a librarian myself
                              Thanks. I forgot about this thread.

This book is outstanding. I saw a quick reference to it on another thread or heard about it on a podcast...not sure. But I glad I wrote a note to check it out.

An amazingly detailed journal/narrative of survival that includes lots of fishing, hunting, navigation, canoeing, and fight for survival. Three gents try to explore parts of Labrador that no white men had ever seen and they take a few wrong turns (understatement). Took place in 1903 I believe. But book reads well with mostly modern language.

Here's a link to some free versions. The HTML link is good for reading it on a computer. I got the kindle version. If you're an outdoorsman, you will love it.

Free kindle book and epub digitized and proofread by volunteers.

Here's a link to the free audio file if you're into listening. Click the MP3 link on the right side:

Comment

Just went through and put most of the titles in an excel spreadsheet. Please add to it if a good read isn't included!!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
                                X