Bad neighbor experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad neighbor experience

I’m on a lease we’ve had for over 10 years now, great lease that we’ve never had any problems with. Hardly any of the neighbors hunt, but there’s always been a blind and feeder 75 yds from the fence on a neighboring property (feeder is about 30 yds from fence). Now, I have no problem with a blind that close, it’s a small property they hunt and the deer are everyone’s. However, last night another member and I went out for a dove hunt and ended up setting up within eyesight of the neighbors blind, although it was about 300 yards away. We thought we saw movement inside the blind, however there were cows walking around behind it, and we were too far away to tell for sure, so we sat quietly and watched for birds. We didn’t fire a single shot, and at sunset unloaded our guns and continued to sit to see if the birds were flying late. About 10 minutes after sunset we heard loud talking coming from the blind, confirming our suspicion that someone was hunting. They’ll neighbors then climbed down and began yelling expletives at us about how we had ruined their sit by being there. We were 300 yards away, down wind, very thick brush between us and their feeder. We never shot, and only talked loud enough to have a conversation between us, and we had no idea they were in there hunting.

I don’t think we did any wrong, but maybe I’m biased. Opinions?

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
    I’m on a lease we’ve had for over 10 years now, great lease that we’ve never had any problems with. Hardly any of the neighbors hunt, but there’s always been a blind and feeder 75 yds from the fence on a neighboring property (feeder is about 30 yds from fence). Now, I have no problem with a blind that close, it’s a small property they hunt and the deer are everyone’s. However, last night another member and I went out for a dove hunt and ended up setting up within eyesight of the neighbors blind, although it was about 300 yards away. We thought we saw movement inside the blind, however there were cows walking around behind it, and we were too far away to tell for sure, so we sat quietly and watched for birds. We didn’t fire a single shot, and at sunset unloaded our guns and continued to sit to see if the birds were flying late. About 10 minutes after sunset we heard loud talking coming from the blind, confirming our suspicion that someone was hunting. They’ll neighbors then climbed down and began yelling expletives at us about how we had ruined their sit by being there. We were 300 yards away, down wind, very thick brush between us and their feeder. We never shot, and only talked loud enough to have a conversation between us, and we had no idea they were in there hunting.

Pretty simple rule in situations like this is your property you do whatever the heck you want. So no. you did nothing wrong.

Comment

I figured if anything it was harassment on their part, just kind of hard to argue that when we were after birds and them yelling at us really didn’t effect the hunting. I also wasn’t upset enough about it to worry that much. If they want to childish like that that’s fine by me

Comment

Well now you know to shoot if you see doves or not

Comment

If they don't want to see their neighbors they need to move their blind or get a bigger piece of property.

You did nothing wrong but if you wanted to be really nice, you could a hunt a different area farther away (if that's even an option).

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
            Pretty simple rule in situations like this is your property you do whatever the heck you want. So no. you did nothing wrong.
            ^^^this^^^

Comment

That is their own fault. I would not worry about it. Your property your rules. I am not a fan of people putting a blind facing a feeder on the fence line. If they shoot high that bullet is coming right at you. The blind should be on the fence with the feeder further inside the property. IMO

Comment

I would have told them to pound sand or something a little more vulgar and then started firing off rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                  I would have told them to pound sand or something a little more vulgar and then started firing off rounds.
                  Tempting but I’m not trying to have a hostile relationship.

Comment

He's hunting the fence line and you see him, but wait your hunting the fence line and sees you? I'm confused

Comment

Dont put your blind on the fence line and you wont have this problem. I just can not stand entitled people.

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post

Comment

1. You did nothing wrong, that's absolutely the case.
                        2. I don't think it's terribly unusual for a neighboring land owner to hold lease hunters in fairly low regard. Not sure if that's the case here (you didn't say if they were owners or leasing), but they probably hold some level of resentment towards you.

I personally used to hate the guy that leased land next to me because he shot everything that moved, much of which was illegal. 9pt 2-yr-old buck with a 7-inch spread (in an AR county)? Shoot it! He didn't pay anything, just helped the LO who was too blind to hunt do miscellaneous work. I'm not saying or suggesting you do any of that stuff, just saying the landowner may not like you for pre-conceived biases.

Comment

LOL! Why would you think that you did something wrong?

I'd have waved at them and continued on my way.

Comment

Thats part of it. At my lease the duck hunters in the area shoot a lot and it for whatever reason spooks the deer. But on those days it just means we have to sit longer until they are done hunting. It is annoying but only because Im not hunting ducks with them.....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                              This is exactly why I'm hesitant to go speak with my neighbor about how loud they are during hunting hours. They don't hunt, their land is overgrazed with all manner of livestock (some of which has gotten onto my property and torn my place up) and for some reason they find any excuse to fire up all of their heavy equipment (tractors, dozers, etc.) right around the time the feeders are going off in the evening spooking everything in sight. I've had many many evening hunts ruined over the last 2 seasons by these people but, again, their land their rules.

Comment

Working...
                              X