Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody register a homemade trailer lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody register a homemade trailer lately?

I've got a what I believe to be an 80s sears boat trailer that came with a boat that I ended up rebuilding.

Use to, you could just get the trailer registered as homemade since nobody could ever keep up with registration on the older trailers. There’s no serial numbers anywhere on this tilt trailer….

Can you still do that or do you have to provide a list of build materials these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine I finally wound up registering for non title. Originally I had to take it to Mansfield to be inspected by the anti theft division for 40 bucks. The next day I had to drive to Waco DMV where they said I had to have pictures of the different stages of build, an itemized material bill as well as certified weight receipt. This trailer was built by two retired welders in their personal shop to supplement their income, they had no pictures or material receipts. When I told the lady this at the DMV she replied it would never be able to be registered. I was able to register it by going the non title route.

Comment

All I needed was the weight and form filled out from the county. Tax lady asked what color is the trailer. I said rust color. Trailer sat for 5 years.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think alot has to do with your county. In Montgomery County I would tell you good luck. They have cracked down on homemade trailer tags.

Comment

I have a thread here about the mishap with my gooseneck. I had to take it in front of a theft task force agent to be inspected. When it was my turn to meet the agent he assumed I was registering as homemade(I wasnt). First words from his mouth were for build pictures and receipts from materials. This was in tyler, tx. Good luck.

Comment

all depends on the county you live in, some counties it is just as easy as it used to be but in Montgomery County you have to go get a temporary tag, tow the trailer in for inspection where if it is believed to not be homemade they will confiscate it as stolen

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              all depends on the county you live in, some counties it is just as easy as it used to be but in Montgomery County you have to go get a temporary tag, tow the trailer in for inspection where if it is believed to not be homemade they will confiscate it as stolen
              This

The only answers to listen to are the ones that come from the county you live in or the trailer is going to be registered in. I have 2 true shop built trailers registered in 2 different counties and the rules are different at each place.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                This ! You would think the STATE would be one rule all over the state, but it ain’t.

Comment

I live in Madison County. Was told the state laws have changed. So every home built trailer had to be inspected by the regional auto theft task force. I checked in Leon County were I work and was told the same thing.

So it should be the same in all Texas counties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Pain in the butt nowadays, on the rare chance you get pulled over tell em you borrowed it from a buddy in Oklahoma.

Comment

My brother had to deal with this when he bought his boat a month or so back in Harris County. Said it was a total Pain. Had to go to multiple places and jump through hoops to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                        I live in Madison County. Was told the state laws have changed. So every home built trailer had to be inspected by the regional auto theft task force. I checked in Leon County were I work and was told the same thing.

So it should be the same in all Texas counties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Yes they are definitely getting more strict with trailers
                        I had a farm tag trailer that they converted to regular tags
                        Now they hinted around that “ maybe “ next year it would need to be inspected, it’s a 20 yo home brew trailer, with zero pictures or receipts, and I can’t remember where the certificate is

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                          Yes they are definitely getting more strict with trailers
                          I had a farm tag trailer that they converted to regular tags
                          Now they hinted around that “ maybe “ next year it would need to be inspected, it’s a 20 yo home brew trailer, with zero pictures or receipts, and I can’t remember where the certificate is
                          I had pictures and receipts but they never ask to see any of that because they could tell it was not a commercially produced trailer

Comment

I built one in 2020 during the Rona "'two weeks to flatten the curve"
                            It depended upon the weight you plan to haul. I don't remember the breakpoint where you needed to get it inspected by the auto task force. If I recall it was 5,000 Gross weight (trailer plus load).

I live in Hood county and had to drive to Tarrant to get it inspected. It was a call and make an appointment on the days they inspect. Then had to take the paper work and pictures to the DMV to get a title and vin # issued for the trailer. Once I had that paperwork I was able to get it registered in Hood county

Comment

I have a trailer that has a number on the hitch. It has never been registered and is 20 years old. I bought it from my neighbor. Besides a receipt about the purchase, how do I go about getting tags for this trailer. It's in Rockwall county

I know that it's never been registered because I was pulled over and the police officer said that it had never been registered

Comment

Working...
                              X