Spring break/late season skiing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some quick input. We normally ski in Wyoming but weren't planning to ski this year, wife is switching gears on that so I'm looking for something closer to drive up and back quickly. We've done Ruidoso on spring break and ski'd on rocks grass and a few sheets of packed ice so not interested in repeating that. Looking at Red River or maybe up towards Durango area. Somewhere less than 14 hours drive from SA that's still likely to have a little snow.

We were in red River last spring break, and it snowed about 18 inches while we were there. We love that little town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With an annual snowfall of 214" and snowmaking across 85% of 290 skiable acres, great snow for beginners to expert skiers and riders is practically guaranteed.

Red River would be my recommendation.

Most of their trails are now open, it’s been a tough year for snow but better than it was a month ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        We were in red River last spring break, and it snowed about 18 inches while we were there. We love that little town.

How was it before that 18" fell?

Comment

It was great, all runs open.

We were there the week after Christmas and half the mountain was closed.

Comment

Good deal thx. That's looking good this far, anybody have any other input or options I'm all ears.

Comment

Purgatory (Durango) has a lot to offer, but a little further drive than Red River. There’s also A Lot more to see and do within an hours drive of Durango than Red River.

Comment

We were in Purgatory this past weekend, it was like April skiing, not Feb. Friday it was **** near 50°. Plenty of snow, but it hadn’t snowed there (until tomorrow) since New Year week. Powder was packed hard as concrete. Forecast looks better over the next 10 days.

Seriously considering wolf creek next trip. Actually closer and I’m not sure what it is about that mountain but the snow gods always seem to dump there. But the road from pagosa to WC can be sketch if the weather is bad. Durango to Purg is about as easy of a drive as one can get.

We stayed in Purgatory village at Peregrine Point, easy walk to the main lifts.

And I have food and drink recommendations if you end up there.

Also check out Durango Dog Ranch for a unique dog sled experience

Comment

Colorado > New Mexico.
                  Red river is a cool little spot, but if you’re an experienced skier it gets boring fairly quickly.
                  Taos probably has the best skiing in New Mexico and it’s not a far drive from Red river.
                  Angel fire is right there too.

Comment

I’ll be at red river with the family for spring break March 13-18th if you choose there let’s meet up at the distillery for a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                      Purgatory (Durango) has a lot to offer, but a little further drive than Red River. There’s also A Lot more to see and do within an hours drive of Durango than Red River.

Seems like it might be close to same distance as you. We are in DFW and went to Purgatory last spring break. Good skiing and I think you are safe on having snow. They get more snow than New Mexico so that is a better bet if you are ok with a little further drive. We drove 12 or so hours from DFW.

Comment

If you want guaranteed snow, if such a thing exists, Wolf Creek. The third week of March is a madhouse anywhere. Week before is usually great. Just returned from Vail on Sunday and snow was getting thin with very little in the forecast. Watching the weather to see if worth booking something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricochet83 View Post
                          I’ll be at red river with the family for spring break March 13-18th if you choose there let’s meet up at the distillery for a beer.

We'd be rolling in late the 17th but I'll definitely hit you up if we're headed that way.

Comment

I'll be there probably the whole week of Spring Break, I spend most of my time running the family back and forth to the ski area from the cabin. So when I'm not driving I sit at The Bull of the Woods Saloon and have a few beers. Ya'll stop by and I'll buy you a beer

Comment

We are headed to Monarch Friday, hoping to get snow Monday or Tuesday. It’s a fun mountain that’s within your travel time. We went for Spring Break last year and it was great, good snow and no lift lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X